THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Check engine light when pressing BC/resetting speed

07-22-2022, 03:49 AM   #1
BMW335l
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i, GTI MK5, Corolla TTE

Check engine light when pressing BC/resetting speed

Hi,

Today when driving I long pressed the BC button to reset the fuel consumption and average speed. The check engine light started blinking and the rev counter stopped and was stationary on 0 and 1, (toggle between 0 and 1 if BC was pressed again). The blinking check engine light disappeared when long pressing the BC again. I replicated the issue twice. Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 07:53 AM   #2
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Do you have an MHD/BM3/... map?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 08:25 AM   #3
BMW335l
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Do you have an MHD/BM3/... map?
Yeah I have MHD flashed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 11:49 AM   #4
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

That might be some MultiMap etc switching method.

MHD+ Menu System
On supported MHD+ platforms (currently F/G-Series), entering into “mapswitch” mode is not
only just for mapswitch. It is actually a more advanced paged menu system, with 3 different
“pages” as of current release. You enter into the menu system the same way you did mapswitch
(F/G-Series: press and hold either the cruise control SET/LIM button or the BC button for 2
seconds). You will always enter on “page 1”, which is designed by a pattern of one CEL blink at
a time.
To change pages, quickly press the SET/LIM button or the BC button. The current page is always
indicated by the blink pattern of 1 / 2 / 3 blinks in a row. To exit the menu, press and hold again
like you did to enter. Page details are as follows:
Page 1 - Mapswitch
This is the normal map switch you are used to. UP/DOWN on the cruise control rocker will move
the RPM tach to your desired map selection. If you only have 1 active map slot, you will not be
able to move the tach from 1000 rpm. You will still have access to page 2 and 3 though.
Page 2 - Exhaust Flap Control
Page 2 allows you to control your vehicle’s exhaust flap on the fly. There are three settings you
can switch between (again using the UP/DOWN rocker).
● 0 rpm = OEM exhaust flap control, no forced override
● 1000 rpm = exhaust flap always forced open
● 2000 rpm = exhaust flap forced closed (note: this will only apply up until a certain load
threshold for safety)
Page 3 - Ethanol Content Quick View
Page 3 will show the current Ethanol percentage of your fuel (when using an appropriate
CANBUS ECA kit). 1000rpm = 10% Ethanol, up to 7500 rpm = 75% ethanol. If you need to see
E% greater than that, you should log it or place it on an MHD Monitor gauge.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #5
BMW335l
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
That might be some MultiMap etc switching method.

MHD+ Menu System
On supported MHD+ platforms (currently F/G-Series), entering into “mapswitch” mode is not
only just for mapswitch. It is actually a more advanced paged menu system, with 3 different
“pages” as of current release. You enter into the menu system the same way you did mapswitch
(F/G-Series: press and hold either the cruise control SET/LIM button or the BC button for 2
seconds). You will always enter on “page 1”, which is designed by a pattern of one CEL blink at
a time.
To change pages, quickly press the SET/LIM button or the BC button. The current page is always
indicated by the blink pattern of 1 / 2 / 3 blinks in a row. To exit the menu, press and hold again
like you did to enter. Page details are as follows:
Page 1 - Mapswitch
This is the normal map switch you are used to. UP/DOWN on the cruise control rocker will move
the RPM tach to your desired map selection. If you only have 1 active map slot, you will not be
able to move the tach from 1000 rpm. You will still have access to page 2 and 3 though.
Page 2 - Exhaust Flap Control
Page 2 allows you to control your vehicle’s exhaust flap on the fly. There are three settings you
can switch between (again using the UP/DOWN rocker).
● 0 rpm = OEM exhaust flap control, no forced override
● 1000 rpm = exhaust flap always forced open
● 2000 rpm = exhaust flap forced closed (note: this will only apply up until a certain load
threshold for safety)
Page 3 - Ethanol Content Quick View
Page 3 will show the current Ethanol percentage of your fuel (when using an appropriate
CANBUS ECA kit). 1000rpm = 10% Ethanol, up to 7500 rpm = 75% ethanol. If you need to see
E% greater than that, you should log it or place it on an MHD Monitor gauge.
Thanks man, this is definitely it. They mention that the CEL blinks and that you exit with the BC. I was hoping it was something like this!
Appreciate 0