THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos New Ford Bronco?

10-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #89
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
When are they going to put a V8 in it though
Never.

Can get the Raptor version if you want more power, though. Assuming you can find one, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #90
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Never.

Can get the Raptor version if you want more power, though. Assuming you can find one, I suppose.
What a mistake!
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      10-08-2022, 07:53 AM   #91
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
What a mistake!
Why? The chassis can barely handle the 300 HP from the 2.3L.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #92
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Why? The chassis can barely handle the 300 HP from the 2.3L.
Drive a 392 wrangler and you will know why. Jeep also said for years it couldn’t be done, but they did it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #93
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Drive a 392 wrangler and you will know why. Jeep also said for years it couldn’t be done, but they did it.
Seriously, how about a real answer to my question. Why does the Bronco need a V8?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #94
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Seriously, how about a real answer to my question. Why does the Bronco need a V8?
Sound, power, no turbo lag. NA 6.4L or turbo 3.0L? Easy decision.
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      10-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #95
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sound, power, no turbo lag. NA 6.4L or turbo 3.0L? Easy decision.
I'll stop now, because you don't understand the question I'm asking. I asked why the Bronco needs a V8. You are answering a question about choice rather than why it needs a V8. By your logic every car needs a big NA V8 in it regardless of what the intended purpose of the vehicle is.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #96
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll stop now, because you don't understand the question I'm asking. I asked why the Bronco needs a V8. You are answering a question about choice rather than why it needs a V8. By your logic every car needs a big NA V8 in it regardless of what the intended purpose of the vehicle is.
Yes, that is correct.
Appreciate 6
swanson733.00
AlexFL7836.00
M3WC3645.00
W///7485.00
P111569.00
Alfisti6500.50
      10-08-2022, 09:54 PM   #97
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Mine was truck.
I mean "technically" all cars are delivered by truck. But they start on rail (from port or place of manufacture) to a rail head, then get picked up by a truck for final delivery to the dealership.

It's too inefficient to move huge volumes of cars exclusively by truck.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 03:53 AM   #98
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I mean "technically" all cars are delivered by truck. But they start on rail (from port or place of manufacture) to a rail head, then get picked up by a truck for final delivery to the dealership.

It's too inefficient to move huge volumes of cars exclusively by truck.

When a person who reserved a Bronco in 2020/2021 gets the window sticker online from Ford for his Bronco, there is an info box that contains the shipping method from Michigan Assembly Plant. It states either "Convoy" or "Rail", which means the vehicle is shipped from the plant via truck (convoy) or train (rail). Once he announced he got his VIN and window sticker, I asked billnchristy which method his Bronco was shipping, he understood the question; it's a Bronco thing.

BTW my Bronco was delivered via convoy. Two days from MAP to my dealer in the Mid-Atlantic.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-09-2022 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 08:06 AM   #99
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is correct.
...except for your Macan GTS.

BTW, regarding specific output*... the 2.3L Bronco makes 12 HP more per liter than your VW-engine'd Porsche. Oh, and 57 more HP/liter than the hemi in your Wrangler. Um... and 27 HP more per liter than the FF.

* Specific output is a measure of engine performance. It describes the efficiency of an engine in terms of the brake horsepower the outputs relative to its displacement. The measure enables the comparison of differently sized engines and is usually expressed as kilowatts or horsepower per litre or per cubic inch.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #100
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...except for your Macan GTS.

BTW, regarding specific output*... the 2.3L Bronco makes 12 HP more per liter than your VW-engine'd Porsche. Oh, and 57 more HP/liter than the hemi in your Wrangler. Um... and 27 HP more per liter than the FF.

* Specific output is a measure of engine performance. It describes the efficiency of an engine in terms of the brake horsepower the outputs relative to its displacement. The measure enables the comparison of differently sized engines and is usually expressed as kilowatts or horsepower per litre or per cubic inch.

If the Macan had a 6.4L V8 it would be perfect. I sold the Macan and bought the 392 Wrangler. Not sure what you’re trying to “own” me with here. Are you trying to tell me a Bronco 2.3L turbo engine is more powerful or somehow better than a hemi or Ferrari V12? Do you know how ridiculous your post sounds? lol. Yes, we all know turbos increase power. Very cool science.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #101
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the Macan had a 6.4L V8 it would be perfect. I sold the Macan and bought the 392 Wrangler. Not sure what you’re trying to “own” me with here. Are you trying to tell me a Bronco 2.3L turbo engine is more powerful or somehow better than a hemi or Ferrari V12? Do you know how ridiculous your post sounds? lol. Yes, we all know turbos increase power. Very cool science.
LOL. Big engines make moar power; very cool science. The 2.3L and 2.7L Ecoboost engines make as much power that V8s did just a decade ago, which is why Ford didn't fit one in the B6G Bronco. It's old news. Science...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #102
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
When a person who reserved a Bronco in 2020/2021 gets the window sticker online from Ford for his Bronco, there is an info box that contains the shipping method from Michigan Assembly Plant. It states either "Convoy" or "Rail", which means the vehicle is shipped from the plant via truck (convoy) or train (rail). Once he announced he got his VIN and window sticker, I asked billnchristy which method his Bronco was shipping, he understood the question; it's a Bronco thing.

BTW my Bronco was delivered via convoy. Two days from MAP to my dealer in the Mid-Atlantic.
That's wild and seems horrifically inefficient. I know when I special ordered my Mustang GT (granted that was a decade ago), it came by rail from the plant to the railyard, then by truck.

My BRZ went from Japan, all the way to Richmond. Richmond to DFW by rail, then Dallas to OKC by truck.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 12:30 PM   #103
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Big engines make moar power; very cool science. The 2.3L and 2.7L Ecoboost engines make as much power that V8s did just a decade ago, which is why Ford didn't fit one in the B6G Bronco. It's old news. Science...
One drives like laggy dogshit and the two big displacement NA engines are actually fun to drive and make great sounds. I honestly have no idea what you're trying to convey here...that a Bronco 2.3L turbo engine is better than a Ferrari V12? lol what
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #104
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One drives like laggy dogshit and the two big displacement NA engines are actually fun to drive and make great sounds. I honestly have no idea what you're trying to convey here...that a Bronco 2.3L turbo engine is better than a Ferrari V12? lol what
LOL. Relax, it's not about your ego. I just simply asked why the Bronco needs a V8, after 4 posts you still can't provide an answer other than the Wrangler has one.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #105
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Relax, it's not about your ego. I just simply asked why the Bronco needs a V8, after 4 posts you still can't provide an answer other than the Wrangler has one.
I told you why 3 times already. I still don’t know what you’re trying to tell me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 11:33 PM   #106
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Less sh*t to brake off road. The ecoboost engines in the Broncos are already having issues. Sometimes if you are way off grid, having an old school reliable V8 with less moving parts is ideal. NHTSA has been investing Bronco engine failures since August. There is a list on Bronco6G of members with blown 2.7's, list is up to 66 members. If planning a long term high mileage ownership, I would prefer a simple NA V8 to a turbo 4cylinder. Bronco with a V8 would lead to a higher tow capacity than 2.3, 2.7, Raptor 3.0.

Last edited by M3WC; 10-10-2022 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      10-10-2022, 12:30 AM   #107
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Anyone have one of these? Most reviews I've read seem pretty positive. Looking to add an off-road toy in the next couple of years, but STILL waiting on Toyota to reveal the next gen 4Runner. Not too thrilled with the new Tundra/Sequoia looks so I imagine it will look similar, but I'm still hoping Toyota has something special planned for the 4Runner given it's cult following.
I was in the market for a 2-door Bronco in the summer but, calling around, soon discovered they were made out of unobtainium. I left my phone number with a couple of places in case availability improved. I got a call from a dealer mid-August, said one was available, guy lost his job at the steel plant and had to cancel his order.

It was an Outer Banks trim in Shadow Black with the 2.3L motor. I took it for a long test drive, even parked it in my garage to see how it would fit. To be expected it was a bit noisy but not obnoxiously so. It actually felt composed on the highway, much better ride than expected. Interior fit and finish was pretty impressive. Though performance wasn't terribly bad, I concluded it would be a lot more fun with the 2.7L motor.

Though I initially intended to buy a fully loaded base model rather than the Outer Banks, I decided to buy it if I could get it for MSRP (roll laugh track now). I was actually able to get them down to $2K above MSRP but I declined. I asked myself why should I pay $2K over MSRP for a Bronco that wasn't in my desired color, trim level, or engine size and concluded I shouldn't. Yeah, I could have maybe turned it for a profit but that's not my style. Let someone else make a deal for it.

Here's the part that will make you shake your head in wonder: Instead of the Bronco, I bought a new '22 BMW Z4. Why? I was coming from a '19 MINI Cooper S convertible, a fun car but not really my style. Before that, I owned a '16 MINI S convertible, a '12 Miata, and a '06 Miata. Though the Bronco would give me a (sort of) convertible and real off-road capability, I realized I likely wouldn't actually be doing much off-roading, I wouldn't be happy with the 20mpg average fuel economy, and I already own a "soft-roader" in my '20 Subaru Outback. After searching my soul, what I really deep down desired was another sporty two-seater with better performance and greater comfort than my former Miata. Yes, a BMW Z4.

Wow! The Z4 delivers in spades! I've never been so happy with any car I've owned (and I've owned quite a few) other than perhaps my 1983 Datsun 280Zx (because it was my first new car).

What's the moral to this story? I'm not sure there is one except perhaps to be sure you really truly know what you want and settle for nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 04:49 AM   #108
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Less sh*t to brake off road. The ecoboost engines in the Broncos are already having issues. Sometimes if you are way off grid, having an old school reliable V8 with less moving parts is ideal. NHTSA has been investing Bronco engine failures since August. There is a list on Bronco6G of members with blown 2.7's, list is up to 66 members. If planning a long term high mileage ownership, I would prefer a simple NA V8 to a turbo 4cylinder. Bronco with a V8 would lead to a higher tow capacity than 2.3, 2.7, Raptor 3.0.
Ah, some valid reasoning based on engineering rather than ego-stroking marketing.

So, I share some of the concerns you bring up, but I think most are artifacts of modern automobiles regardless of engine type or size. True, there was a batch of MY 2021, 2.7s that were assembled with defective valvetrain components, which lead to early, low-mile engine failures, but that was a manufacturing issue not a turbo vs. NA design issue. V8's could be built with the same valvetrain issues. All modern automobiles have complex sensor suites, any of which could be problematic on the trail, even the 6.4L Hemi in the 392 Rubicon. The Bronco also suffers reliability of the fuel pump. Of the deep trail recoveries reported on B6G, two were fuel pump related. Again, a V8 would suffer the same issue. To uplevel the reliability concerns, how far back does the emissions technology need to go? Mechanical distributors with points and condensers and vacuum advance, mechanical fuel pumps and no cats? I'd argue that 1970s tech has reliability issues too; though probably easier to repair on the trail if you bring the correct parts.

The Bronco 3,500-pound tow rating I think is a chassis design and transmission capacity issue rather than an engine issue. Torque is torque, the smaller displacement Ecoboost engines have decent torque lower in the rev band than the Ford V8s they replaced. The 2.7 is used extensively in the F150 with a 9,000-pound towing capacity mated with the 10R80 automatic.

Seriously, thanks for bringing up legitimate discussion points. I'm letting my Bronco break-in a bit more until I take it on the trails. The fuel pump issue has me concerned a tiny bit. Based on my transportation needs and stage in life, I'll not take the Bronco past 100K most likely, but most normal cars are turbos at this point. No argument from me regarding NA vs. turbo, but then there are Government imposed fuel and emission mandates.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-10-2022 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 09:35 AM   #109
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
This is silly coming from a guy that really understands cars. It has absolutely nothing to do with power or MPG in this case for me. If the car is used as a toy, I would also prefer a V8 as well. Doesn't need it it per se, but it's pretty easy to understand why.

A B48 on paper is better than my US spec S52 all day, in terms of power, and for sure MPG. Does that mean I want one? Absolutely not (unless it's purely a DD. Would I want one in a toy like a Z4? Even less. Science....
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:54 AM   #110
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
This is silly coming from a guy that really understands cars. It has absolutely nothing to do with power or MPG in this case for me. If the car is used as a toy, I would also prefer a V8 as well. Doesn't need it it per se, but it's pretty easy to understand why.

A B48 on paper is better than my US spec S52 all day, in terms of power, and for sure MPG. Does that mean I want one? Absolutely not (unless it's purely a DD. Would I want one in a toy like a Z4? Even less. Science....
I'd prefer the Bronco be offered with a 3.5L in-line 6 bolted to a manual transmission and mid-1980s ECU tech, but it's not. It is 2022. It's offered with Ford corporate Ecoboost hardware.
Appreciate 0