THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes KW DDC Coilovers

11-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #23
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
Sorry I sold my car, but hopefully someone who has this can chime in for you.
Sorry for a few basic questions about coilovers. When you lower the car, I assume the springs are compressed so generate a higher force so the springs are effectively stiffer in the lower position? Then when you go back to relaxed ride height the springs are softer and the ride softer? second question is are you using camber plates with the coilovers so you can adjust camber for track vs street driving? thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #24
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i

Well an update, I sent the same photos that I posted on this thread to kw, I seem to be missing a helper spring in the rear. They’re sending me those, will keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #25
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smchuck View Post
Sorry for a few basic questions about coilovers. When you lower the car, I assume the springs are compressed so generate a higher force so the springs are effectively stiffer in the lower position? Then when you go back to relaxed ride height the springs are softer and the ride softer? second question is are you using camber plates with the coilovers so you can adjust camber for track vs street driving? thanks
Most coil overs have a threaded body so you can lower the car without adjusting your spring perch, which does effects your spring rate. The KW DDCs do not have a threaded body, however.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #26
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roku.g9 View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently got my DDC KW's shipped after buying them in early April. Such a long wait! I've only been able to drive on them for a few hundred miles and will be taking a road trip to Laguna seca this weekend to push them on track. I'm hoping to come back and give a review once I get more seat time with them.

First impressions: Comfort mode feels like a boat floating around a lake. It is by far the most significant change out of all the EDC modes. Sport and Sport+ are definitely more aggressive and "bouncy", but I love it. Tons of feedback from the road and the lowered ride height has helped with cornering as well. I know these aren't cheap, but I've made big mistakes with budget coils on previous cars and maintaining EDC control from the OEM controls was a must for me.
Hi Roku,

Did your rear springs come with helpers? I’m still dealing with height issues. I contacted KW and they sent helper springs, which reversed my problem and now the car is too high and there is no downward adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #27
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollier91 View Post
Interesting, I didn't know these were capable of stock ride height, and like I said, the installer said the rears were at max height.

Here's the link to the coilovers:

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...-39020018.html
Don't know what the problem is but your rear is definitely lower than it should be. Wrong part number, wrong rear spring rate... helper springs missing? Not sure if there are supposed to be helper springs, need to look at my rear to remind myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #28
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Don't know what the problem is but your rear is definitely lower than it should be. Wrong part number, wrong rear spring rate... helper springs missing? Not sure if there are supposed to be helper springs, need to look at my rear to remind myself.
My kit was missing helper springs in the rear. KW hooked me up within a week with the rest of the parts and I'm good with the ride height now.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #29
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep

What camber plates is everyone using with the KW DDC kit? My installer recommended ground control, but trying to configure the camber plates, it seems they are not compatible with our spring size. Do I just need to order new springs too?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #30
roku.g9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollier91 View Post
What camber plates is everyone using with the KW DDC kit? My installer recommended ground control, but trying to configure the camber plates, it seems they are not compatible with our spring size. Do I just need to order new springs too?
I used the ground control plates and they fit just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #31
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I used the ground control plates and they fit just fine.
Great, what spring size did you specify? The site asks for spring inner diameter, but the 95mm stated by KW is not listed.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 12:11 AM   #32
radio3
Private
Rep

I’m a little unclear on the description of the Comfort setting ride quality. Usually when people talk about cars driving like boats it isn’t a compliment. Can anyone clarify whether the Comfort ride and handling are improved with these coils? I’m sure the firm settings are on the hard side for the street. Is the comfort setting actually softer than factory?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 02:26 AM   #33
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

It was a very surprising comment indeed, i had DDC on my f30 for a while and comfort mode/lower speeds was actually a bit jarring, much stiffer than stock.
I'm puzzled now.
      05-31-2021, 10:40 AM   #34
roku.g9
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
It was a very surprising comment indeed, i had DDC on my f30 for a while and comfort mode/lower speeds was actually a bit jarring, much stiffer than stock.
I'm puzzled now.
In my experience, comfort/eco are much better than stock. More "comfortable". While sport/sport+ are the bumpy, stiff, track mode settings. It's the perfect mix IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #35
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
roku,

Thanks for the feedback. I am stuck between these and the B16's. A few guys got he B16's but they have not reported back yet which makes me a bit nervous. Gepeto did do an initial review that was super positive.

How long have you have these now? Would you still recommend them? I have the same car but xDrive, and the car is a semi-DD. Drven maybe 3 days a week. How are the GC plates thus far?

Thanks for any insight!
josh
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #36
roku.g9
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
roku,

Thanks for the feedback. I am stuck between these and the B16's. A few guys got he B16's but they have not reported back yet which makes me a bit nervous. Gepeto did do an initial review that was super positive.

How long have you have these now? Would you still recommend them? I have the same car but xDrive, and the car is a semi-DD. Drven maybe 3 days a week. How are the GC plates thus far?

Thanks for any insight!
josh
I've had them on for maybe 10 months, 10k miles. They've handled daily duties and track days perfectly. I have exactly 0 complaints with the KWs. After install, I threw on the GC Camber Plates and hated the initial "clunk" or rattles. It seems like they settled and no longer make any noise so I am very happy with the combo. Looking back, I probably could've saved some money by not doing the DDC kit, but I must say it is nice to be able to switch between comfort and sport and retain factory controls. Especially since the girlfriend hates the sport+ bumpy ride on the street. I don't mind it and could've done without the DDC looking back. But I'm sure the next owner of my car will enjoy having the DDC option happy to answer any other questions. feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      06-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #37
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I've had them on for maybe 10 months, 10k miles. They've handled daily duties and track days perfectly. I have exactly 0 complaints with the KWs. After install, I threw on the GC Camber Plates and hated the initial "clunk" or rattles. It seems like they settled and no longer make any noise so I am very happy with the combo. Looking back, I probably could've saved some money by not doing the DDC kit, but I must say it is nice to be able to switch between comfort and sport and retain factory controls. Especially since the girlfriend hates the sport+ bumpy ride on the street. I don't mind it and could've done without the DDC looking back. But I'm sure the next owner of my car will enjoy having the DDC option happy to answer any other questions. feel free to PM me.
Thanks! PM'ing you...

josh
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #38
Rotorav8r
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i ‘16

Perch height to tire

I'm thinking of purchasing KW DDC coilovers, but I have very little room to the original strut. I'm not looking to lower the car much (maybe 15mm) from stock. I want to make sure the "purple" perch would still be over the tire as my set up would not work with any less room. Currently running Apex ARC-8 wheels 9" front with 255 tires. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
      04-18-2022, 01:32 AM   #39
radio3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Comfort mode is supposed to stay soft when it can for a smooth ride but stiffen up while cornering -- that's what I love about adaptive suspension. So I never actually use Sport and Sport+. They're kind of pointless in the sense that they don't actually make your suspension stiffer where a stiff suspension is beneficial -- they just make it harder all the time.

Does Comfort with the KWs not do the same thing? Is it not actually continuously adaptive? I'm wondering if it's possible that it just has 3 different stiffness settings rather than being continuously adaptive like the factory suspension is.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:50 AM   #40
TTR M240i
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3 View Post
I’m a little unclear on the description of the Comfort setting ride quality. Usually when people talk about cars driving like boats it isn’t a compliment. Can anyone clarify whether the Comfort ride and handling are improved with these coils? I’m sure the firm settings are on the hard side for the street. Is the comfort setting actually softer than factory?
100% softer in 'comfort mode'.
When going over a speed hump my rear oscillates 4-5 times before settling and that's at low speed (5-10km/h).
I also find that I feel bumps / road imperfections more in this mode.
'Sport' mode is noticeably better but it is a lot 'bouncy'.

I have an 2019 M240i RWD on 19's.

I'm now able to post and will write up my suspension journey in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0