THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Lower back pain

05-11-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
Moomoo
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Lower back pain

Hi

Been browsing these forums for a while and cant find a thread on my problem.

I picked up my M235i last week Monday and since then I've had horrible lower back pain. I've tried changing the seating position a number of times without any difference. Other than that, loving every aspect of the car, having so much fun

I've never been a person that's ever experienced any kind of major back problems that last more than a couple of days which is rather puzzling.

I've got the standard leather seats with power adjustment. I did not get lumbar support.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or got a suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:01 AM   #2
culinarymatt87
Rep
Drives: nissan juke digt 4x4 everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Hi

I picked up my M235i last week Monday and since then I've had horrible lower back pain. I've tried changing the seating position a number of times without any difference. Other than that, loving every aspect of the car, having so much fun

I've never been a person that's ever experienced any kind of major back problems that last more than a couple of days which is rather puzzling.

I've got the standard leather seats with power adjustment. I did not get lumbar support.

im have constant back pains and the seat on the bimmer are some of the comfiest seats ive ever sat in but I do have lumbar lol
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I can't comment on the 2 series seats as I haven't bought one yet but I suffer from lower back pain and I've discovered what sets it off are seats which have a base (the bit you sit on) which tilts downwards at the rear end. This is often found in cheap cars when you want to sit as low as possible. I sincerely hope this isn't the case with the BMW seats. In more expensive cars the base remains horizontal but just goes downwards when you push the lever.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

If the car is new, then give it a few more weeks. I have this problem every time I get into a new car. A part of my back is always in pain. Then, by magic, it goes away...but that takes a long time.
I'm no expert but my theory is that it's a form of muscle ache. With every different seat, you are working different muscles that may have been inactive for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
If the car is new, then give it a few more weeks. I have this problem every time I get into a new car. A part of my back is always in pain. Then, by magic, it goes away...but that takes a long time.
I'm no expert but my theory is that it's a form of muscle ache. With every different seat, you are working different muscles that may have been inactive for a long time.
Spot on, every change of car results in four weeks of discomfort and then it settles down. The seats themselves are really some of the best on the
market if its any consolation.
      05-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Sorry to read about the back pain.
There are a few articles or excerpts from books recommending how to adjust the drivers seat (Vic Elford, Bob Bondurant).
I know its about personal comfort but things like distance from brake pedal and not locking out your knee on brake pedal depressed or the seat back angle so that your wrist is comfortably situated on the steering wheel at 12:00 with your shoulders against the seat back as you play around with adjusting your position.
Even rear view mirror or side mirror adjustment can cause neck strain if not taken the time to adjust properly. There are some articles about side mirror adjustment and how rear view mirror shoukd fill in the gap with eye glance instead of head neck manipulation. And the cars separate lower back and lumbar adjustment - playing with those didn't help?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

What were you driving before? Context could be everything...I came from an X3..Going to an M235i was a huge adjustment for my back. How you get in and out of the vehicle, how you sit...All of those things..

Quote:
Hi

05-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Had the same problem in my 335d which didn't have lumbar support, the 435i and M135i both have it and it seems to make all the difference in my case, I'd never buy a car without it again
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

I had issues with my previous car after 30 mins or so of driving lower back pain would kick in, just could never get the seat right. M235i solved that problem, I do have the lumbar support.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Have you tried adjusting the seat base angle to see if it improves the comfort?

I would not wait weeks to see if the discomfort goes away.

If it's specifically your lower back then that's a concern without having the lumbar support. Does the 235i in SA not include lumbar support standard?
      05-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Hi

You would think a BMNW would have Lumbar support standard. I didnt even think about it on my last one and it wasnt so equipped. Brutal IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #12
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
I had some pain at first with my M235. Solution: sit closer than you might think you should (wrists on wheel at 12 o'clock as already suggested); sit higher (fist-distance from roof); seat should be straight or pitched slightly down in front.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #13
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I also experienced this at first. I adjusted the seat all the way down and slowly brought the back up until I was comfortable, then adjusted the thigh extension out two clicks and set memory. This took me a couple of weeks, but I have since been uber comfortable in the seats, and I don't use the lumbar unless I'm on the hwy for a long cruise!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I sold my 2007 Z4 coupe (automatic) and bought a 2014 M235 (manual) because getting in and out of the Z4 wrecked my lower back (I'm almost 61 and have some lower spinal "issues"-sux getting old!). The seat was great, once I was seated, but the twisting and turning needed to enter/exit the vehicle was light torture.

Anyway, getting the M235 solved my problems. Both vehicles had/have the sport seats, and once I got the seat location adjusted properly, I haven't changed it since. So far, after 12 months, no lower back pain...at least, caused by the seats in the car...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #15
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
...I sold my 2007 Z4 coupe (automatic) and bought a 2014 M235 (manual) because getting in and out of the Z4 wrecked my lower back (I'm almost 61 and have some lower spinal "issues"-sux getting old!). ...
That is exactly why I didn't get a Porsche Boxster...daily use and the ingress and egress of the vehicle killed me, and I'm only 55! The 2 series really fit the bill!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #16
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Seats in the M235i are quite comfortable and don't cause me any pain by themselves which is good since I've had fusion/decompression surgery for L5-S1. How exactly is it hurting you?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #17
Moomoo
Registered
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest M235i View Post
What were you driving before? Context could be everything...I came from an X3..Going to an M235i was a huge adjustment for my back. How you get in and out of the vehicle, how you sit...All of those things..
I was in a VW with cloth seats previously so the current setup is very different. The M235i is certainly lower and has a much different seating position inside. I've tried as far as possible to keep the setup similar with regards to positioning to my back. Failing that I tried changing a few things.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #18
Moomoo
Registered
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Have you tried adjusting the seat base angle to see if it improves the comfort?

I would not wait weeks to see if the discomfort goes away.

If it's specifically your lower back then that's a concern without having the lumbar support. Does the 235i in SA not include lumbar support standard?
It never included it as standard and I didn't think I would need it. Regretting it now
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #19
Moomoo
Registered
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
Seats in the M235i are quite comfortable and don't cause me any pain by themselves which is good since I've had fusion/decompression surgery for L5-S1. How exactly is it hurting you?
When I'm sitting I find the urge to constantly stretch my lower back or pull myself closer to the steering wheel (although I am positioned close to the steering wheel). While I'm sitting I feel a slight discomfort in my lower back, almost an aching feel after 5 minutes after sitting. This becomes painful after an hour or so. It does feel like sitting there's undue pressure on my lower spine.

There is relief from the pain when I'm standing straight, I would say it dissapears unless I'm sitting or lying down. I've tried now driving with a small pillow positioned just above my lumbar curve which seems to be helping a bit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll try them out today and see if it makes a difference
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #20
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

This issue and auto dimming mirrors is the main reason I opted for the premium package even at the ridiculous premium price. Lumbar support is worth it!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I have both neck and lower back spine issues and that is why I MUST have full power seats, so I can do the small adjustments that can make a big difference in comfort.
For my back issues I do not use lumbar support at all, because when I do it causes more pain. I set lumbar to full off.
I try to keep the back as straight as possible so that I am not pulling my head forward and causing neck strain. Thigh extension is full out to provide full support.
The idea is to get as much body contact with the seat as possible so as to distribute your weight over as much of the seat as possible thus reducing any pressure points.
Getting the seat where it's best for you could take a little while and a bit of adjusting, but over all these BMW sport seats are fantastic and very supportive when adjusted properly. I even use the memory settings for longer trips so that I can set a couple of different positions that I find comfy and the switch between the two to keep circulation good and alleviate pressure points.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #22
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
When I'm sitting I find the urge to constantly stretch my lower back or pull myself closer to the steering wheel (although I am positioned close to the steering wheel). While I'm sitting I feel a slight discomfort in my lower back, almost an aching feel after 5 minutes after sitting. This becomes painful after an hour or so. It does feel like sitting there's undue pressure on my lower spine.

There is relief from the pain when I'm standing straight, I would say it dissapears unless I'm sitting or lying down. I've tried now driving with a small pillow positioned just above my lumbar curve which seems to be helping a bit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll try them out today and see if it makes a difference
Oh yeah lumbar support is an absolute necessity for me, thats probably it.
Appreciate 0