THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Galaxy S22 phone not reading my texts thru bluetooth

11-17-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Galaxy S22 phone not reading my texts thru bluetooth

I feel embarrassed asking because I think of myself of a techie. My old motorola droid/turbo phone (quite old) in my "other than 2" car used the Google Assistant app to actually pause the audio playing in the car, use the car audio via bluetooth to ask if it wanted me to read the text outloud, and would communicate using the mic/audio of the car via bluetooth. Loved it.

I upgraded the phone to a Galaxy S22 about the same time I got my 2017 M240. Phone contact list sync'd no problem. Phone/car handle audio phone calls via bluetooth no problem. But the phone wont contact the car's bluetooth to start a bluetooth communication that I have an incoming text and offer to read it to me. Shocked I cant get this working since my old ass phone did it on my old ass 2009 car.

I tried looking online and there seems to be 4 or 5 ways to get this working, but none of them have worked. Google Assistant is totally different on my S22 than on the motorola and "driving mode" which did the push text on my old phone isnt there. I tried using the "Bixby" samsung app which supposedly can do it, doesnt work. I have broadcast mode turned on but it seems like that only pushes texts to "galaxy devices". I gave up on this a while back but recently linked the phone to my girlfriend's Honda and it is also not pushes texts to the bluetooth, so not sure if something is set wrong in the BMW or the phone.

S22 is a popular phone, anyone have one or a recent Galaxy and get your phone to read and send texts to you totally hands free thru the 2's bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Have you ensured your car has the latest updates for Bluetooth compatibility? It is easy enough to update the car with a USB drive if it hasn't got the latest version available for your car. Check here: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Good idea, didnt think of that one.

Just put in my VIN and: "Your vehicle is up to date."
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 12:13 PM   #4
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

My Note 20 Ultra is a bit older but sends texts to the car and reads them just fine.

So thinking it is often simple things that get overlooked, have you checked your permissions for the Bluetooth device (the car) on your phone?
Appreciate 0