THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Cost efficient path for stereo upgrade

11-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #1
prefersjdm
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW m240i

Cost efficient path for stereo upgrade

2017 M240i with stock stereo. It's trash. Worse than the Bose in my prior 370z.

I'm not trying to blow the bank, but I'm wondering what the most reasonable path is to better clarity and more volume, which are my biggest gripes with the stock system.

Changing out all of the speakers and adding an amp is the clearest path to the best sound, but it's pretty expensive so here are some questions:

1. What are the speaker locations? Someone lay this out for me please, and if possible detail the worst pieces in the car.

1. Can I get away changing out the front speakers only? or will distortion from the back still bum me out? Brand / unit recommended?

2. Can I keep the speakers and simply add an amp to clarify the sound in a more cost effective manner than option 1? (I've never used an amp, so IDK what the results would be). Brand / unit recommended?

3. Should I just bite the bullet and change out every speaker?

4. Should I just bite the bullet and change out every speaker and add an amp? (or is this audiophile / overkill territory).

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 08:41 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefersjdm View Post
2017 M240i with stock stereo. It's trash. Worse than the Bose in my prior 370z.

I'm not trying to blow the bank, but I'm wondering what the most reasonable path is to better clarity and more volume, which are my biggest gripes with the stock system.

Changing out all of the speakers and adding an amp is the clearest path to the best sound, but it's pretty expensive so here are some questions:

1. What are the speaker locations? Someone lay this out for me please, and if possible detail the worst pieces in the car.

1. Can I get away changing out the front speakers only? or will distortion from the back still bum me out? Brand / unit recommended?

2. Can I keep the speakers and simply add an amp to clarify the sound in a more cost effective manner than option 1? (I've never used an amp, so IDK what the results would be). Brand / unit recommended?

3. Should I just bite the bullet and change out every speaker?

4. Should I just bite the bullet and change out every speaker and add an amp? (or is this audiophile / overkill territory).

Thanks,
1. As your car doesn't have the Harmon/Kardon (HK) speaker setup, your front speakers are 2-way speakers in the doors. There is a speaker in the center of the dash but many peo0ple disconnect this as it muddies the sound. The rear speakers are likely 2-way speakers, also.

2. Changing an amp but keeping the factory speakers is not the way to go. Modern amps don't degrade the sound unless you crank up the volume.

3. I'd try replacing the front speakers first. Here's a list of 2-way speakers that fit your car: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/Al...tp=105&l=C&o=r. The alternative is to step up to component speakers (separate mid-range and tweeter) in the front. This will require buying sails for the front doors to hold the tweeters. Change them all? Try the fronts first and do the rears if necessary.

4. Do the speakers and then look at amps later. I have the Audiotec-Fischer MATCH amp and love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #3
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Agreed, the door speakers should be first. You may be happy with just those, everyone has different tolerances. But it's universally agreed that these base audio systems are horrible.

There's a few good posts in here... https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1236238 They're for the HK system but most things apply to base hifi.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

done this can attest to difference it makes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
1. As your car doesn't have the Harmon/Kardon (HK) speaker setup, your front speakers are 2-way speakers in the doors. There is a speaker in the center of the dash but many peo0ple disconnect this as it muddies the sound. The rear speakers are likely 2-way speakers, also.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:24 AM   #5
Radiant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hi, if you want to listen to quality sound, then you need to buy all new speakers.
I recommend buying a set of amplifier + speakers from harman kardon. Clear sound, speakers at maximum volume does not roar, or buy top hi-fi. You also need to have a quality stereo, to process and produce good sound. I helped my friend install my car radio in X5 and he also bought speakers from harman kardon, the whole kit cost him $2000 at a discount. I found a car radio for a BMW X5 series E70 / X6 series E71 (2011-2013) https://smarty-trend.com/bmw-x5-x6-s...head-unit.html like this. It is not cheap, but also not so expensive to buy the original which is installed from the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 08:52 AM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
Hi, if you want to listen to quality sound, then you need to buy all new speakers.
I recommend buying a set of amplifier + speakers from harman kardon. Clear sound, speakers at maximum volume does not roar, or buy top hi-fi. You also need to have a quality stereo, to process and produce good sound. I helped my friend install my car radio in X5 and he also bought speakers from harman kardon, the whole kit cost him $2000 at a discount. I found a car radio for a BMW X5 series E70 / X6 series E71 (2011-2013) https://smarty-trend.com/bmw-x5-x6-s...head-unit.html like this. It is not cheap, but also not so expensive to buy the original which is installed from the manufacturer.
The H/K speakers are lousy. OP, do yourself a favor and go to Crutchfield and find speakers that fix your car. I'm partial to jbl and infinity speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 10:29 AM   #7
Radiant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
The H/K speakers are lousy. OP, do yourself a favor and go to Crutchfield and find speakers that fix your car. I'm partial to jbl and infinity speakers.
My respect to JBL they make great speakers, but I haven't found them as a kit for the BMW X5-X6. I've found H/K, but from JBL I haven't.
Crutchfield only had the speakers on the upper front door "JBL Club 3412T". There were no others unfortunately.
Appreciate 0