THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics SOS Call System Failure (F23)

09-12-2022, 04:54 AM   #1
ianhodgson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d Convertible (F23)

SOS Call System Failure (F23)

I'd appreciate any guidance the community can offer regarding the SOS Call System Failure message that appeared on my F23 today. General wisdom is to check the battery in the unit which is typically in the roof lining, but with a soft top, I'm guessing it's not there. Where did BMW hide the unit on my model?

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 07:32 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your car's VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Search in the most likely sub-categories.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 07:59 AM   #3
ianhodgson
Registered
Rep

Marco,
I appreciate your help. I've already used the site to locate the part number, etc. The challenge now is to find the telematics device on the vehicle - which piece of panelling is it hidden behind?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 07:54 AM   #4
ianhodgson
Registered
Rep

I've located what I believe to be the telematics box that hosts the SOS facility - part number 84 10 9 382 417 - this differs from that suggested by RealOEM.com (84109342080). Since the cabriolet is without a sensor in the roof, I'm assuming that this is the only module.

With the SOS System Failure message persisting, I did the various infotainment rebooting, and confirmed that both DAB radio and Bluetooth telephone work.

I also tried the SOS system and was able to connect to BMW and have a conversation with the operator. Thus, the other common fault related to the SOS speaker or microphone are not present.

What else does this leave? The battery in the telematics box? Suggestions from anyone who has had the same issue and been able to fix it would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 06:41 AM   #5
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhodgson View Post
I've located what I believe to be the telematics box that hosts the SOS facility - part number 84 10 9 382 417 - this differs from that suggested by RealOEM.com (84109342080). Since the cabriolet is without a sensor in the roof, I'm assuming that this is the only module.

With the SOS System Failure message persisting, I did the various infotainment rebooting, and confirmed that both DAB radio and Bluetooth telephone work.

I also tried the SOS system and was able to connect to BMW and have a conversation with the operator. Thus, the other common fault related to the SOS speaker or microphone are not present.

What else does this leave? The battery in the telematics box? Suggestions from anyone who has had the same issue and been able to fix it would be appreciated.
Most likely the battery has failed. As far as I remember the life of the battery is supposed to be 8 years but they sometimes fail earlier as well. Battery is an exchangeable part without the unit itself. I don't have the part number for it but you can look it up from ETK with your VIN. You can also use google and type "BMW SOS Battery" in order to get an idea of what it is.
Appreciate 0