THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Boot/Trunk Subwoofer Installation

12-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
ElephantStone
Rep
Drives: N/A

Boot/Trunk Subwoofer Installation

Hi guys,

I've tried searching on here and elsewhere but it seems that almost all guides are for much more complex things than what I'm trying to do.

I received a subwoofer to go in the back of my car for Christmas, but unfortunately I have absolutely no idea in terms of installation. I have a 2014 UK M Sport 220d with HK upgrade.

I've located the amp in the back of the car. Is it just a case of hitting into the specific wire before going into the amp, and if so, how do I go about identifying this? And for power, given the location of the battery in the car, that shouldn't be a problem? Or is it much more complex than this?

I know it's a relatively small stock amp, but I'm not talking about a giant subwoofer here. It's a 480W standard sub available from most car shops.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Is it just a sub , or is it an all in one powered sub box ? What is the impedance of the subwoofer, 2 ohm, 4 ohm? is 480 RMS or peak ?

You might be able to run it off the underseat sub channels (depending on the sub impedance), but you'll lose the underseat subs. It will most likely be significantly under-powered/underwhelming). I think you're better off getting technicpnp's add-a-sub harness, and buying a small class D mono sub amp.

Technicpnp is a forum member that makes custom plug and plug harnesses for BMW car audio. They are custom made (5-7 day lead time typically)
https://technicpnp.com/product/hifi-add-sub-harnessloc/

Have a search through the forum and look at my post on wiring:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124786

These Alpines are really nice and compact.
http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrv-m500/
http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-m6/
http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdr-m65/

JL Audio's are a nice compact option too:
http://www.jlaudio.com/jx500-1d-car-...plifiers-99400
http://www.jlaudio.com/xd600-1v2-car...plifiers-98604

the newer RF amp's are decent options:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r500x1d
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p400x1
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
ElephantStone
Rep

You sir are a legend. Will take a little look later
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
shocksim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT

If your sub is an unpowered sub in a box, the stock amp isn't going to have enough umph to push it and you'll be looking at an extra amp to push the sub or replacing the stock amp.

If it's a powered sub something like this it'll be easier and won't require any extra/replaced amps.

Power and ground are easy, as you've said the battery is in the trunk. If you're at the back of the car, the left side has a pretty good grounding point that's also used for the 12V in the trunk.

I would grab the TechnicPNP add-a-sub harness zipphreak mentioned. That should include the Line-out converter to RCAs and a remote cable that will power the sub when you turn on the car.

Be sure to get a set of TORX (T40 if I recall?) drivers for the cargo hooks in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocksim View Post
If your sub is an unpowered sub in a box, the stock amp isn't going to have enough umph to push it and you'll be looking at an extra amp to push the sub or replacing the stock amp.

If it's a powered sub something like this it'll be easier and won't require any extra/replaced amps.

Power and ground are easy, as you've said the battery is in the trunk. If you're at the back of the car, the left side has a pretty good grounding point that's also used for the 12V in the trunk.

I would grab the TechnicPNP add-a-sub harness zipphreak mentioned. That should include the Line-out converter to RCAs and a remote cable that will power the sub when you turn on the car.

Be sure to get a set of TORX (T40 if I recall?) drivers for the cargo hooks in the trunk.
The powered sub you mention looks interesting. I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone installed this in a 2-series?

2. What is the frequency spectrum of this speaker, especially as compared with the existing underseat speakers? Would it enhance or duplicate or worsen bass response?

3. Where would it be installed? I understand that installing in the trunk would be the easiest option but I'd be leary of installing it behind the seats because the seats might muddy the sound and I'd be worried about the likelihood of rattles. On the other hand, there isn't much room in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
shocksim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
The powered sub you mention looks interesting. I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone installed this in a 2-series?

2. What is the frequency spectrum of this speaker, especially as compared with the existing underseat speakers? Would it enhance or duplicate or worsen bass response?

3. Where would it be installed? I understand that installing in the trunk would be the easiest option but I'd be leary of installing it behind the seats because the seats might muddy the sound and I'd be worried about the likelihood of rattles. On the other hand, there isn't much room in the cabin.
I've no experience with using these types of powered AiO subs but I've handled them.

1. I'm sure someone somewhere has. They're on the easier side of installing as it's just the add-a-sub harness and adding a power/ground cable to your car. Very simple.

2. I'm sure specs would show the freq response, if it doesn't that's telling you something. It is an 8" woofer so not so sure about huge benefit for adding under represented frequency with 2 8" already under the seat. Usually you'd add a sub to the trunk to get more sub-bass which the smaller midwoofers have trouble recreating.

3. Trunk. These flat powered subs are usually designed as underseat aftermarket, but the 2er already has two underseat midwoofers. The trunk is where most people would install a sub on any car. Subs are omnidirectional and while the seats baffle a little, it's not really detrimental. I mean the midwoofers are mounted under the seat shooting into the seat.

If it were up to me and I wanted to add a sub, I would get my own enclosure/sub/amp since I'm anal about sound rather than buying an AiO. But every product has a niche they fill and only you know what you value.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocksim View Post
I've no experience with using these types of powered AiO subs but I've handled them.

1. I'm sure someone somewhere has. They're on the easier side of installing as it's just the add-a-sub harness and adding a power/ground cable to your car. Very simple.

2. I'm sure specs would show the freq response, if it doesn't that's telling you something. It is an 8" woofer so not so sure about huge benefit for adding under represented frequency with 2 8" already under the seat. Usually you'd add a sub to the trunk to get more sub-bass which the smaller midwoofers have trouble recreating.

3. Trunk. These flat powered subs are usually designed as underseat aftermarket, but the 2er already has two underseat midwoofers. The trunk is where most people would install a sub on any car. Subs are omnidirectional and while the seats baffle a little, it's not really detrimental. I mean the midwoofers are mounted under the seat shooting into the seat.

If it were up to me and I wanted to add a sub, I would get my own enclosure/sub/amp since I'm anal about sound rather than buying an AiO. But every product has a niche they fill and only you know what you value.
Very helpful. Thanks, Shocksim.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:25 AM   #8
ElephantStone
Rep

Very helpful thanks all of you. And shocksim, that's the exact sub I have (the JSU one).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #9
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Nice thread, I've got an old Rockford Fosgate P300-10 that I've wanted to install I could just never find the wiring diagram for this car's audio. That Technicpnp looks really tempting too though.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Nice thread, I've got an old Rockford Fosgate P300-10 that I've wanted to install I could just never find the wiring diagram for this car's audio. That Technicpnp looks really tempting too though.
Just did this.

The Technic add-a-sub made all this super simple.

I haven't cleaned up the wiring or found a way to properly mount the sub itself but it works, took about an hour. The hardest part was getting the damn weather seal put back on the trunk

FYI the sub is being held in by that really tight bungee cord and some thick double-sided tape, and after my test drive it didn't move so I may not even bother mounting it another (better looking) way.

Sounds sweet

Not the best sub, but it was collecting dust in my garage. I already had the other install stuff, just needed the Technic harness.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
ElephantStone
Rep

I've only just got around to doing this and we're having a bit of an issue with this it seems. I bought the Technic add-a-sub but it doesn't seem to match up with what's coming from my car's amp.

I have a bad feeling I've bought the wrong thing but as someone who has absolutely no idea when it comes to car audio (or audio in general) I wouldn't have known any better!

If it helps I have a BMW 220d M Sport with HK. Is this completely incompatible, or am I looking in the wrong part, or is there any kind of adapter I can buy?

Thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT: I've been an idiot, never mind. God knows what the small black box is behind the battery but I was trying to plug into that

Last edited by ElephantStone; 02-18-2017 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #12
Al3029
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93, Msport, white/red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Just did this.

The Technic add-a-sub made all this super simple.

I haven't cleaned up the wiring or found a way to properly mount the sub itself but it works, took about an hour. The hardest part was getting the damn weather seal put back on the trunk

FYI the sub is being held in by that really tight bungee cord and some thick double-sided tape, and after my test drive it didn't move so I may not even bother mounting it another (better looking) way.

Sounds sweet

Not the best sub, but it was collecting dust in my garage. I already had the other install stuff, just needed the Technic harness.
Hey, I know this is an old thread, just purchased this Fosgate powered sub. Does anyone have instructions on how to install? A little step by step? Lol...
Appreciate 0