THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Technical Question: F-Series Manual remote start...No options?!

07-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #1
rcodea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C

Technical Question: F-Series Manual remote start...No options?!

Hello all,

I am looking for an option to add/retrofit a remote start onto my '19 M2C Manual. From what I can tell, there are no options...presumably because there isn't a way to confirm trans is in neutral and mimic the clutch depress. I am admittedly ignorant on the required inputs needed for the vehicle to start; but understand that much of BMWs systems are CANBUS inputs, so programing and piggybacking should work with the right combinations.

There is an option for the automatic crowd, but in talking with Bimmer-Tech, seems only 10 or so people inquire about it monthly, which i gather is not enough to justify the development. Understandably, when i inquired over the phone, was told 'it took us 4 years to develop the auto version, and with the manual it isnt possible without a complete new design to our auto product.'

That leads me to this real question...those with technical knowledge of the start sequence on the manuals....what is needed? What is different about the auto vs manual cars...aside from the clutch and gear inputs?

From the Bimmer-Tech site:
"
Quote:
The BMW remote start retrofit is compatible with most F-Series BMWs produced after 2012 with automatic transmission and FEM, CAS4, BDC1 modules.
"

So I assume the manual doesnt have one or more of the modules described above? Can it be attempted to develop a solution using something like the retrofit from Bimmer-Tech and modify it accordingly? Is there another option/company with or working on a solution?

Thanks in advance!

~Ryan
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #2
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

There are several companies that make remote start solutions for manuals. Here is one but there are others. Google is your friend.

https://www.compustar.com/blog/can-y...hift-vehicle/#

BMW (or any other manufacturer) is never going to offer this as a factory option. You can try to kludge one together yourself, but probably safer and cheaper to just buy a ready made system.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
There are several companies that make remote start solutions for manuals. Here is one but there are others.
Doesn't look like they support any current BMW models, probably due to not being able to work with the immobiliser/security system. The aftermarket remote start systems are typically a hack, as they require one of the keys to be cannibalised and stored within the system inside the car for more sophisticated systems such as on BMWs over the last 10 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #4
rcodea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are several companies that make remote start solutions for manuals. Here is one but there are others. Google is your friend.

BMW (or any other manufacturer) is never going to offer this as a factory option. You can try to kludge one together yourself, but probably safer and cheaper to just buy a ready made system.
Tried that company but they do not support BMW after 2016....so not an option for the F-series cars like mine. Google searches also come up with nothing...unless I am using the wrong search words.

~Ryan
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 09:34 PM   #5
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Interesting. They support current model Audis, including manuals, but not BMWs. And many other companies support current model BMWs, just not manuals.

I'd talk to a professional installer. Hard to believe there is something special about this configuration that makes it not possible. Probably just lack of market demand.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 10:19 PM   #6
rcodea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hard to believe there is something special about this configuration that makes it not possible. Probably just lack of market demand.
I agree! With all the manual F8X cars out there, there will be a market for it!

~Ryan
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 01:38 AM   #7
O Stater
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Doesn't look like they support any current BMW models, probably due to not being able to work with the immobiliser/security system. The aftermarket remote start systems are typically a hack, as they require one of the keys to be cannibalised and stored within the system inside the car for more sophisticated systems such as on BMWs over the last 10 years or so.
Have you looked into viper smart start? Not sure if it’s compatible with a manual or not but I’ve run one in my Tundra for years and it still works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 02:18 PM   #8
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

I thought all aftermarket remote starts require the use of a donor key fob, which is why I didn't go that route
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #9
O Stater
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I thought all aftermarket remote starts require the use of a donor key fob, which is why I didn't go that route
The system on my Tundra has its own remote control that bypasses the factory remote altogether. but its over 10yrs old and their new stuff pretty much interfaces with your smart phone more than a fob as I understand it. The benefit is that you can lock/unlock or start from anywhere in the world as long as you have cell service. I promise i'm not a sales rep for viper, just love the one on my truck.
Appreciate 0