THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Engine Oxidation or Salt? what stuff on the engine (N55)

08-21-2019, 02:46 AM   #1
waxfigure
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Engine Oxidation or Salt? what stuff on the engine (N55)

Hello! I recently purchased a CPO 2016 m235i with 36k miles in Irvine California.

I noticed these white spots on my engine, which appears to be only on the aluminum part of the engine, at the time of purchase but the dealer said it was completely fine. When I got home and tried to wipe off some of the white part, it left these black marks.

I purchased extended platinum warranty for the next 6 years/ unlimited miles so I know that I will be covered but I have never seen this before and wanted to confirm if anyone else has seen this before.

I noticed that there was just one other post on the forum regarding the same problem on a car that is only 7 months old (at the time of the post) but it never confirmed if it was indeed oxidation or leaking coolant.

Can someone please tell me what is causing this and if this is damaging to the engine? On some posts, it says that aluminum oxidation actually creates a protective layer.. is this true?

Thank you for your help!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

aluminum rust (oxidation).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Surface oxidation, likely caused by someone washing a warm motor with a degreaser (typically the dealer prepping the car for sale). It's harmless. If it bothers you, you can buff it off pretty easily.
      08-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
waxfigure
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Surface oxidation, likely caused by someone washing a warm motor with a degreaser (typically the dealer prepping the car for sale). It's harmless. If it bothers you, you can buff it off pretty easily.
Thanks for the confirmation!! It doesn't bother me now that I know it is harmless
Appreciate 0