THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning yes one more time (m240 xdrive or M2C)

07-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
diggis_tennis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i Msport

yes one more time (m240 xdrive or M2C)

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well. Just a repeat question here for all those who have m240 and have also tried m2c and considered upgrading to it. I have a deposit down waiting for an allocation for M2C but am having after thoughts about it due to the reviews on ride harshness and traction concerns below 70 degrees. More about me -
1. I dont intend to track the car at all.
2. Let's assume money is not that a big a deal in my consideration
3. I live in NC
4. I have a daily driver (2014 528i) for now but I do want to be able to drive the coupe for longer distances
5. If m240 xdrive is the better bet, should I look for deals on new build or used?
6. I am leaning towards m2c because you don't see to many of those on the road. That said I don't want to be stupid about my decision.
7. I do plan to keep the car for long. I've had my 5 series for 5 years now and dont plan on selling it anytime soon.

I am looking for more real world responses rather than what the pros think and care about. I ain't no pro or hardcore driver by any means.

Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Alright, so before you get pelted with battles cries of "M2C!!!1!" hear me out since I was in the exact same dilemma :

Having driven both an M2C and an M240i Xdrive I pulled out of the M2C and started looking for an M240i X in earnest. Like yourself I have a nice daily driver, however unlike yourself I don't remain married to my cars. I prioritize fun, looks, and all that shit while getting the best bang for the buck.

I knew I was never going to track and I knew that my daily driver (well, two daily drivers if you count the SUV) are more than enough for hauling people and stuff. Given that, I realized I should maximize fun in this purchase, with a dash of practicality (both wife and I are obsessed with the idea of our little ones riding in the back haha).

So, given that, I realized if I am going to get the the 2er, it better be an Xdrive (because I have driven enough Manual for a lifetime and plus the Midwest can be a little unpredictable with shit weather) and it better be a convertible.

See what we are going for here? A comfortable FUN car, with plenty of "go fast", and an option for top down fun, and an option to stuff our little ones in the tiny backseat and head to the lake...

When I started thinking like that, it made no f uc king sense to buy the M2C, simply for bragging rights, and a punishing ride. I mean for what?

Dude, I put the top down, turn on that Bootmod3'ed beast, and do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Or I can just chill and let that sweet adaptive suspension cushion my suburban bravado here and there.

Honestly, if you are not tracking, then it is absolutely silly to get the M2C... because in the end, what do you truly get? You won't be racing or auto-crossing so you are now stuck a HARSH BACK BREAKING TEETH CHATTERING RIDE, the whimsical trials of RWD in bad weather, and no top down option.

You do get bragging rights though, but it is only an M2 man... how far do they even go?

Also, yeah, M2C will hold its value better but judging by how long you keep your cars, your cars will bottom out their depreciation before you put them on the market.

Seriously, get the Xdrive. Better yet, get the convertible. Then throw in some Bootmod3 goodness and perhaps a catless on it, and for less than $1500 installed, terrorize suburbia in your angry little German.

P.s. I will post a link to a video here later; a pretty level reviewer did a test of M2C vs the M240i. He pretty much voices what I say. He does say that the M240i has a "Jekyll and Hyde" personality (of course he meant it as a compliment; he was referring to how much of a beast the car can be in Sport mode).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
diggis_tennis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Alright, so before you get pelted with battles cries of "M2C!!!1!" hear me out since I was in the exact same dilemma :

Having driven both an M2C and an M240i Xdrive I pulled out of the M2C and started looking for an M240i X in earnest. Like yourself I have a nice daily driver, however unlike yourself I don't remain married to my cars. I prioritize fun, looks, and all that shit while getting the best bang for the buck.

I knew I was never going to track and I knew that my daily driver (well, two daily drivers if you count the SUV) are more than enough for hauling people and stuff. Given that, I realized I should maximize fun in this purchase, with a dash of practicality (both wife and I are obsessed with the idea of our little ones riding in the back haha).

So, given that, I realized if I am going to get the the 2er, it better be an Xdrive (because I have driven enough Manual for a lifetime and plus the Midwest can be a little unpredictable with shit weather) and it better be a convertible.

See what we are going for here? A comfortable FUN car, with plenty of "go fast", and an option for top down fun, and an option to stuff our little ones in the tiny backseat and head to the lake...

When I started thinking like that, it made no f uc king sense to buy the M2C, simply for bragging rights, and a punishing ride. I mean for what?

Dude, I put the top down, turn on that Bootmod3'ed beast, and do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Or I can just chill and let that sweet adaptive suspension cushion my suburban bravado here and there.

Honestly, if you are not tracking, then it is absolutely silly to get the M2C... because in the end, what do you truly get? You won't be racing or auto-crossing so you are now stuck a HARSH BACK BREAKING TEETH CHATTERING RIDE, the whimsical trials of RWD in bad weather, and no top down option.

You do get bragging rights though, but it is only an M2 man... how far do they even go?

Also, yeah, M2C will hold its value better but judging by how long you keep your cars, your cars will bottom out their depreciation before you put them on the market.

Seriously, get the Xdrive. Better yet, get the convertible. Then throw in some Bootmod3 goodness and perhaps a catless on it, and for less than $1500 installed, terrorize suburbia in your angry little German.

P.s. I will post a link to a video here later; a pretty level reviewer did a test of M2C vs the M240i. He pretty much voices what I say. He does say that the M240i has a "Jekyll and Hyde" personality (of course he meant it as a compliment; he was referring to how much of a beast the car can be in Sport mode).
hey there. this totally makes sense and really appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

One issue which maybe common to a lot of folks is being able to test drive a M2C. Unless you know someone local who owns one and will let you get behind the wheel its nearly impossible to find one at a dealership just sitting on their lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Watch this guy

Appreciate 1
MassNerd171.00
      07-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
diggis_tennis
Private First Class
Rep

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
mineremoval
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Convertible

Quote:

Hey BimBimM2 I am curious how your BM3 is going on the M240xi vert, I have the same car and can't find many videos / updates on it. I joined the BM3 facebook group and don't see any there either. What mods do you have and what OTS map are you on? Happy with performance? I was hoping for a little bit more out of mine and was debating upgrading to an M4.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineremoval View Post
Quote:

Hey BimBimM2 I am curious how your BM3 is going on the M240xi vert, I have the same car and can't find many videos / updates on it. I joined the BM3 facebook group and don't see any there either. What mods do you have and what OTS map are you on? Happy with performance? I was hoping for a little bit more out of mine and was debating upgrading to an M4.

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineremoval View Post
Quote:

Cheers.
Hey there, so I don't have any mods. The car is bone-stock. I do plan to get a Fabspeed catted DP, and upgrade the DV as well but only when I step up to BM3 Stage 2. Just so the extra awesomeness can be handled better and safely

At BM3 Stage 1 I use the exact same configuration as this guy:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1633767

However I have not done the transmission flash that he has done. That's something I may end up doing this week. I should do these 0-60 runs and take snapshots but truthfully, I am easily under 4. I take it to Stage 2 and we are at 3.5... I mean, that's pretty sweet haha.

I absolutely LOVE the M4; really I nearly bought one 2016 convertible. However, same dealership had this brand new 2018 M240i X vert on the lot, and I got it for 33% off its sticker of 60k. One of the reason that I pulled away from the M4 was that around the same time a friend of mine encountered the infamous spinning crank hub issue after he flashed his M4 with Bootmod3. Nothing to do with BM3 actually, this is a fault-point in F80 M3/M4. Take a look at this thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1226184

I honestly LOVE how reliable the B58 platform is; I am yet to read any horror stories or fault points in the B58 platform, even beyond the context of Bootmod3 (yeah that piggyback trash has stories, like always but even in that context, not many stories are found regarding the B58). We can't say much about the B58TU that's in the new M340i or the Z4 M40i, but they did move some engine components to the front and gave it a bump of 50 more horses. However, this bump is not due to some internal modifications but a function of a more aggressive tune (hence the confusion around the new Supra; it most definitely does not have the B58TU but the M240i's B58, just running on a more aggressive stock tune giving it output similar to B58TU - ah, speculation speculation). Point is, stick with the B58, tune it, play with it... and when the S58 M4 comes, get that that's what I plan on doing.
Appreciate 0