THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Noise after LSD install

05-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
drodrig2
Rep
Drives: m235i

Noise after LSD install

After I had the M Performance LSD installed I was getting a thumping/rumpling noise from the back of my car every time I left a stop (see this link for the noise
). I thought the rumpling was the normal break-in noise everyone on this forum talks about. After 2K miles I took the car into the dealership for some engine warranty work, while it was at the dealership, the BMW technician told me my Drive shaft carrier bearing was bad. The dealership ordered a new complete driveshaft ($1933) and now the noise is completely gone.

After reading many BMW forums I discovered when you install a new differential in a BMW it is really easy for the carrier bearing to be installed up-side down. (see https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621437 ). I have no idea if the person who installed my LSD dropped the whole driveshaft when they installed the LSD or if they somehow just damage the driveshaft. In either case if you are getting that noise and rumpling sensation from the back, look at the Carrier bearing, and maybe try flipping it around. I hope my experience helps others.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drodrig2 View Post
After I had the M Performance LSD installed I was getting a thumping/rumpling noise from the back of my car every time I left a stop (see this link for the noise
). I thought the rumpling was the normal break-in noise everyone on this forum talks about. After 2K miles I took the car into the dealership for some engine warranty work, while it was at the dealership, the BMW technician told me my Drive shaft carrier bearing was bad. The dealership ordered a new complete driveshaft ($1933) and now the noise is completely gone.

After reading many BMW forums I discovered when you install a new differential in a BMW it is really easy for the carrier bearing to be installed up-side down. (see https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621437 ). I have no idea if the person who installed my LSD dropped the whole driveshaft when they installed the LSD or if they somehow just damage the driveshaft. In either case if you are getting that noise and rumpling sensation from the back, look at the Carrier bearing, and maybe try flipping it around. I hope my experience helps others.
Thanks for the post! I'm getting the rattle wihout changing the diff 2015 M235i 6mt with 55k miles. Kind of ridiculous and upsetting. Had both engine mounts replaced under factory warranty at 40k. Maybe they installed it upside down back then. Either way what a PITA
      08-16-2019, 05:06 AM   #3
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
New M240i owner here: How much was the upgrade & can you feel the difference?
Appreciate 0