THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Time to say Goodbye to my M235i

09-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Time to say Goodbye to my M235i

We've been car shopping for my wife for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger on a Q3. She was back and forth between a blue one and a green one and the blue was on the showroom floor right beside a 2018 RS3 with individual paint (Suzuka Grey). She eventually picked the green, but not before falling in love with the RS3 and saying I should buy it (she's never loved the M235i).

Who am I to argue with that?? Because it's a 2018 (showroom floor only ... 108km on the odometer) and some hard bargaining on my part (kept saying I wanted to buy the used RS3), wound up with a smoking good deal for an RS3 fully loaded with individual paint and the carbon ceramic brakes.

I did test drive an RS3 before buying and I have to say ... while it drives differently than the M235i, it puts the same shit eating grin on my face the the BMW did when I bought it and I do prefer sleeper sedans to coupes and with rareness of the RS3 and the individual paint ... this is a one of a kind car.

Picking it up next weekend, will post up pics because someone will ask, but time to move on from BMW after 11 years (had an E90 before the F22). Anyone got a recommendation for a good Audi forum for technical knowledge, etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

https://www.vwvortex.com
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks. Nothing seems as well organized as BM (eg. specific model sub-forums by topic) so it is harder to find info it seems.
Appreciate 1
Rony31618.50
      09-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i / 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
We've been car shopping for my wife for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger on a Q3. She was back and forth between a blue one and a green one and the blue was on the showroom floor right beside a 2018 RS3 with individual paint (Suzuka Grey). She eventually picked the green, but not before falling in love with the RS3 and saying I should buy it (she's never loved the M235i).

Who am I to argue with that?? Because it's a 2018 (showroom floor only ... 108km on the odometer) and some hard bargaining on my part (kept saying I wanted to buy the used RS3), wound up with a smoking good deal for an RS3 fully loaded with individual paint and the carbon ceramic brakes.

I did test drive an RS3 before buying and I have to say ... while it drives differently than the M235i, it puts the same shit eating grin on my face the the BMW did when I bought it and I do prefer sleeper sedans to coupes and with rareness of the RS3 and the individual paint ... this is a one of a kind car.

Picking it up next weekend, will post up pics because someone will ask, but time to move on from BMW after 11 years (had an E90 before the F22). Anyone got a recommendation for a good Audi forum for technical knowledge, etc?
www.audizine.com

I made the switch to an S4 after driving BMW's for 25 plus years. Went Stage 2 tuned, you should as well! The grin gets even bigger Just bought the wife a 228i to cure the BMW need...

The overall quality edge goes to the BMW, it's just built far better. Have to say I am very disappointed with the light steering feel of the BMW. Fortunately with my S4 I am able to code out the light steering, now it feels more like the old BMW's. Would I buy another Audi? I doubt it.

Last edited by fmzip; 09-16-2019 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
pablo219
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Sorry to report that our experience with a 2016 A6 (before we dumped it out of desperation/frustration) is that Audi, themselves, is lacking technical knowledge in some areas, so finding it on forums is not likely. No one knew how to fix our clunky trans, no one could identify rotors that would not warp, no one knew why electronic features would come and go, or mysteriously operate themselves. Good luck. We fell for the pretty face and nice test drive once but would never again with them.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #7
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Sorry to report that our experience with a 2016 A6 (before we dumped it out of desperation/frustration) is that Audi, themselves, is lacking technical knowledge in some areas, so finding it on forums is not likely. No one knew how to fix our clunky trans, no one could identify rotors that would not warp, no one knew why electronic features would come and go, or mysteriously operate themselves. Good luck. We fell for the pretty face and nice test drive once but would never again with them.

It’s sort of like that sexy girl you first meet. Once you get to know her, she’s more superficial than anything else. Definitely easy on the eyes, not the one you’d slip the ring on forever
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Some you guys are really a class act. Instead of just saying congratulations, or not saying anything, you have to pipe up with your perceptions of the brand and shit all over someone else purchase decisions.

The Q3 is replacing my wife's 2010 A3 and before that she had a GTi. In other words, we are more than familiar with the value proposition and the pros/cons of VAG vehicles. The M235i was also my second BMW so I think I have a pretty good handle on BMW fit and finish issues (me E90 had some really noticeable and irritating ones), features that don't work as promised (or mostly don't work as promised in Canada), etc.

I bought the M235i because I enjoyed the drive more than the S3 I was considering. I am buying the RS3 because I enjoyed the drive more than I am currently enjoying the BMW. That's essentially it. As a bonus, I don't have to put up with BMW's bullshit failure to support Android Auto, I don't have to waste my time coding basic features that I want because I can set them through Audi's UI, I get a car with a real DCT instead of a slushbox (admittedly a good slushbox, but a slushbox nonetheless), I get a four door sedan (my style preference) with the size profile and handling characteristics I wanted (BMW doesn't make one unless you include the ferries that pass for the 3 series these days), I get a decent B&O sound system that instead of the AM radio sound quality that passes for an audio system, and I have a driver's seat that points straight without those ridiculous headrests that make my passengers uncomfortable.

For all that, I paid pretty much to the dollar what I paid for my M235i almost four years ago for a car that is a class above in performance. In three to seven years will I be happy with it? Who knows, but I've had plenty of cars over the years that I've loved (including my E90) and plenty I've been happy to see go. The M235i is in the middle of that range.
Appreciate 2
Mehim76.50
stein_325i25083.00
      09-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
Storm2rooper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235 Convertible

Audi RS3 and TTRS are my dream cars. Good choice. I’m soon giving up my m235 and dreading it. Going to return it and also return another lease my wife is driving and probably going after an Audi s3 for her. Was thinking about an m240 cause we both loved the m235 so much but we’re planning a baby soon and I think four doors will be necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

What an absolutely odd emotional response! You started with the following question:

Quote:
Anyone got a recommendation for a good Audi forum for technical knowledge, etc?
The first reaction was that given how Audi struggled to provide technical knowledge/assistance when our car needed it (on several occasions for different issues), it is unlikely that forum members can do any better. My experience on AudiWorld was to read a disproportionate amount of complaints of unresolved issues.

Quote:
Some you guys are really a class act. Instead of just saying congratulations, or not saying anything, you have to pipe up with your perceptions of the brand and shit all over someone else purchase decisions.
We don't "have to"; we're being helpful. You indicated that you haven't picked up the car yet, so you still have some degree of choice before you are committed. In this case, are you suggesting it is more socially acceptable and gracious, if one sees a pothole ahead of another person, to simply smile and wave them on rather than share a warning? That seems a bit cold and antisocial to me.

Choose whatever you wish, and if it's an Audi, sincere best wishes that you find a good one. Sorry, can't in good conscience work up to congratulations for that choice after how they dealt with us. Our experience and the way in which it was so poorly handled by AoA obliges me to offer a helpful caution to someone on that same path. Sorry, again, if somehow, you find that offensive.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
What an absolutely odd emotional response! You started with the following question:

The first reaction was that given how Audi struggled to provide technical knowledge/assistance when our car needed it (on several occasions for different issues), it is unlikely that forum members can do any better. My experience on AudiWorld was to read a disproportionate amount of complaints of unresolved issues.

We don't "have to"; we're being helpful. You indicated that you haven't picked up the car yet, so you still have some degree of choice before you are committed. In this case, are you suggesting it is more socially acceptable and gracious, if one sees a pothole ahead of another person, to simply smile and wave them on rather than share a warning? That seems a bit cold and antisocial to me.

Choose whatever you wish, and if it's an Audi, sincere best wishes that you find a good one. Sorry, can't in good conscience work up to congratulations for that choice after how they dealt with us. Our experience and the way in which it was so poorly handled by AoA obliges me to offer a helpful caution to someone on that same path. Sorry, again, if somehow, you find that offensive.
To be fair, it was this quote "It’s sort of like that sexy girl you first meet. Once you get to know her, she’s more superficial than anything else. Definitely easy on the eyes, not the one you’d slip the ring on forever" that generated the response and you're right ... I should have singled him out instead of making it general.

However, your experience with Audi is different from ours with VAG vehicles and the many people I know with Audi's (scudding some very close friends).

I did ask about forums because I am looking for information about winter wheel fitment and dashcam installation tips, etc, not because I am anticipating issues with the car. If I get those, I'll have to deal with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep

Quote:
To be fair, it was this quote "It’s sort of like that sexy girl you first meet. Once you get to know her, she’s more superficial than anything else. Definitely easy on the eyes, not the one you’d slip the ring on forever" that generated the response and you're right ... I should have singled him out instead of making it general.
You should read further, I have both brands a 2015 Audi S4 and a 2016 BMW 228i.

As someone else pointed out, just trying to be helpful. Not shi&*ing on either brand, I am fond of both. Each has their pros and cons. I wouldn't slip the ring on the Audi, that's all. There's a lot of glitz, after you own a few, you will understand what I am trying to convey.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #13
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

If I wanted an AWD track toy an S4 would be near the top of my list.
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #14
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Congrats, Johnny and good luck with your new car.

I recently looked at the RS3 to add to the stable of cars and it was a blast to drive. The I-5 engine is a real gem in that car, although I will say it is weird having larger tires in the front and smaller ones in the rear. I understand why Audi set it up in that manner, just seems to be a bit unnatural but very logical technically. I agree with your assessment on the S3; hence why I own the M235. The S3 is a good car but it just didn't make me giggle like the M235 or the RS3.

I expect the RS3 will give you fine service; it is a great ride. Have fun!

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #15
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcompact View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcompact View Post
Being that I live in CT and moved into a new neighborhood with a big a$$ hill, the S4 was the ticket. A quick stage 2 upgrade makes 0-60 times in less than 3.5 seconds. The car is really a blast to drive, day in, out. If BMW had an all wheel drive M coupe or sedan, my decision would have bit a bit harder.

What's interesting in owning both brands at the same time, what drew me to purchase the Audi was what I quickly learned to miss in the BMW. Now that I have the BMW again, I miss quite a number of things when I am not driving the Audi and vice versa.

What kills me is the steering boost. Coming from an E90 coupe, E39 Sedan E46 coupe, and two prior E36's, the F22 doesn't have that BMW steering feel that gave BMW the title of the ultimate driving machine. I also owned a B6 Audi back in the early 2000's. Somewhere on this forum I posted that the Audi was not close in the driving experience as the BMW. I have to retract that statement after driving a few boosted steering BMW's. It's really easy to shares pro's and cars with both brands getting in and out of one each day.

Comparing similar year cars is also what I speak of if anyone else is reading this thread. I am speaking of a 2015 S4 or S3, 2015 m3 and 2016 228i, or M235 as I looked at those too. My history with the other BMW's is a factor too as there's a certain sense of what's improved, and or, diminished over the course of 20 years in BMW's

NAV= No contest, BMW is superior in the 2015-2016 era. Audi was way behind the times. BMW was lost with the Idrive early on, it's excellent now

Interior=Audi, overall it is very, very nice. I love my seats. The knobs, paddle shifters and radio buttons etc. go the BMW by a very large margin. As I've owned my Audi for well over two years now, it's still super clumsy with the entire interface, turning knobs the wrong way still, feeling like a button will stop working someday because it seems flimsy. BMW has always had a very solid feel in the daily tactile items.

Driving experience= stock, the s4 was all over the road, felt like it wandered uncontrollably on the highway. I was always steering, to the point of it being tiring. Added a few things like a lower cross brace and upper strut bar, bigger rear sway bar and coded out the DSR steering boost, felt very close to the prior BMW platforms as I mentioned. If both cars remained stock, BMW gets the win. Their cars just feel well balanced and tied to the road. BMW has this figured out for a very, very long time.

Overall Quality=Close a BMW door, close and Audi door. Structural build quality, BMW by a very wide margin. Leather quality...Audi. 50,000 miles on my s4 seats, the bolsters are not worn in the slightest, the leather is comfortable and very supportive. On the surface, the Audi appears to be the clear winner, drive it for some time, the creaks and little rattles wear on me in the S4.

Bang for the buck=Audi by a very wide margin. You get a lot of really good features for the price. I fell for the S4 the moment I drove it. To find out after the purchase that the entire engine sound was fabricated by a device called a Soundakator was extremely disappointing. Pull the fuse, no radical car sound. Realizing a 50 cent fuse was cheap in comparison to a $2000 exhaust, I'll keep the 50 cent fuse and adjust my engine sound by a few menu clicks on the dash board. More of the sexy girl analogy, she just took off her makeup, she's not a natural beauty...

Both brands are great, both brands are eye appealing. Love the Audi look, love the BMW look. Fortunate to be able to own both, wish I could bundle them together and take the best of each. I very much enjoy both. Being stuck to choose one is the challenge. Ran into that when I had the E46 twinscrew supercharged convertible and the E39 530 5spd sport sedan. I kept the E39. Drove it over a decade to 230,00 miles, still miss that car every day. I'd give up all my 2016 creature comfort features and buy that car new off the lot today. It was just that good.

To the OP, you will love the RS and Audi platform, Audi checks so many boxes, it's hard not to buy one. Looking forward to seeing you post on Audizine when you get it.

Last edited by fmzip; 09-17-2019 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #16
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

fmzip, my apologies. I read it wrong and I didn't connect the second post to the first. My bad ... crazy work week (my regular job and my consulting work have collided at the worst time).

Most of your comments align with our experiences but one. I had worse squeaks, rattles, whistles from my E90 than from either of the VAG vehicles we owned. My M235i was better than any of them in this respect. My experience is that it go either way.

As for things like iDrive/Nav, for me this is an Android Auto vs iDrive issue and AA wins hands down. Nice that my new car will support it (mostly because as an Android user I have no real connectivity between my phone and my car with BMW).
Appreciate 1
fmzip1649.50
      09-18-2019, 04:48 AM   #17
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I had an A3 2.0L Sline before our M235i and the thing I miss about the A3 Sportback format is the large amount of usable internal space relative to the external dimensions. With the rear seats down and the hatch at the back, you can carry loads which you'd struggle with even in a larger model. For example, we easily got a 3-door sideboard into the A3, no problem. The rest of the A range suffer from the usual modern problem that every inch of extra internal space seems to mean 3"-4" of additional external bodywork, so it's a diminishing return. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee as a previous car and the A3 could almost match it's practical carrying capacity. The powerful RS3 with 4 doors is a very practical and fun all-round choice and I can see why you've gone for the it vs the M235i. Good luck.
      09-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #18
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys ... for those on Audizine, I'll be there as JackQuint (there's another JohnnyCanuck out there if you can imagine that).

Picking it up tomorrow ... just in time for a weekend of driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:13 AM   #19
seansurfn2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i m-sport

Quote:

The Q3 is replacing my wife's 2010 A3 and before that she had a GTi. In other words, we are more than familiar with the value proposition and the pros/cons of VAG vehicles. The M235i was also my second BMW so I think I have a pretty good handle on BMW fit and finish issues (me E90 had some really noticeable and irritating ones), features that don't work as promised (or mostly don't work as promised in Canada), etc.

I bought the M235i because I enjoyed the drive more than the S3 I was considering. I am buying the RS3 because I enjoyed the drive more than I am currently enjoying the BMW. That's essentially it. As a bonus, I don't have to put up with BMW's bullshit failure to support Android Auto, I don't have to waste my time coding basic features that I want because I can set them through Audi's UI, I get a car with a real DCT instead of a slushbox (admittedly a good slushbox, but a slushbox nonetheless), I get a four door sedan (my style preference) with the size profile and handling characteristics I wanted (BMW doesn't make one unless you include the ferries that pass for the 3 series these days), I get a decent B&O sound system that instead of the AM radio sound quality that passes for an audio system, and I have a driver's seat that points straight without those ridiculous headrests that make my passengers uncomfortable.

For all that, I paid pretty much to the dollar what I paid for my M235i almost four years ago for a car that is a class above in performance. In three to seven years will I be happy with it? Who knows, but I've had plenty of cars over the years that I've loved (including my E90) and plenty I've been happy to see go. The M235i is in the middle of that range.
um you didnt have to post and share every detail about your life online. if your not able to handle criticism then just delete the post and move on.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #20
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansurfn2 View Post
um you didnt have to post and share every detail about your life online. if your not able to handle criticism then just delete the post and move on.
You're a little bit of a cocky shit aren't you?

Don't see anything about "my life" in that post ... not sure why you felt the need to weigh in days later with something like that. I guess you're the type to do anything to get your post count up.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:37 AM   #21
seansurfn2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i m-sport

Quote:
You're a little bit of a cocky shit aren't you?

Don't see anything about "my life" in that post ... not sure why you felt the need to weigh in days later with something like that. I guess you're the type to do anything to get your post count up.
your still making it public online bro say whatever you want to me i still spoke the truth sorry it bent you outta shape.. you made the choice to post online
i said what i ssid mainly due to your bitching about peoples opinion on your post AFTER you asked for peoples opinion after posting on a forum on the internet..

"Some you guys are really a class act. Instead of just saying congratulations, or not saying anything, you have to pipe up with your perceptions of the brand and shit all over someone else purchase decisions.

your a class act yourself dipshit

quite honestly i couldnt give a shit about my post count either

Last edited by seansurfn2; 09-27-2019 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #22
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansurfn2 View Post
your still making it public online bro say whatever you want to me i still spoke the truth sorry it bent you outta shape.. you made the choice to post online
i said what i ssid mainly due to your bitching about peoples opinion on your post AFTER you asked for peoples opinion after posting on a forum on the internet..

"Some you guys are really a class act. Instead of just saying congratulations, or not saying anything, you have to pipe up with your perceptions of the brand and shit all over someone else purchase decisions.

your a class act yourself dipshit

quite honestly i couldnt give a shit about my post count either
One day maybe you'll learn to read for comprehension. I never actually asked for opinions. It was comment. However, had you bothered to read the thread, you might have noticed that I walked all of that back to both of them and did so publicly because I crossed the line. The difference between you and me is that I actually own my shit.

Please let us know when you grow up.
Appreciate 0