THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - California Detailer/Paint Sealant in LA?

09-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
staticcornflake
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Detailer/Paint Sealant in LA?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new-to-me 2016 228i in Melbourne metallic red, and the dealer offered Permaplate (I guess a nano coat and scotch guard on the interior with a 5-year warranty) for $399. It's not a terrible price, but seems I'm really buying a wax and warranty more than a true sealant.

Wanted to see if anyone had any recon in the LA area (Westside, but can travel) for something in that range that would be a better use of money? I'm not totally up to speed but I think I want some ceramic treatment? Car will be parked outside during the day at work, paint is pretty good (minor swirls on the hood) but I'd like to keep it shiny and rich and long as possible.

In a past life I would have done this myself but I'm in corporate housing the next bit and don't have workspace/running water near the car, etc. So I can maintain after this, hopefully.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticcornflake View Post
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new-to-me 2016 228i in Melbourne metallic red, and the dealer offered Permaplate (I guess a nano coat and scotch guard on the interior with a 5-year warranty) for $399. It's not a terrible price, but seems I'm really buying a wax and warranty more than a true sealant.

Wanted to see if anyone had any recon in the LA area (Westside, but can travel) for something in that range that would be a better use of money? I'm not totally up to speed but I think I want some ceramic treatment? Car will be parked outside during the day at work, paint is pretty good (minor swirls on the hood) but I'd like to keep it shiny and rich and long as possible.

In a past life I would have done this myself but I'm in corporate housing the next bit and don't have workspace/running water near the car, etc. So I can maintain after this, hopefully.

Thanks!
Permaplate is essentially just a durable wax/liquid compound. Does not stack up against ceramic coating, look up Detail Union on IG, they're located in Monrovia.
      10-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

If you're considering ceramic coating, you'll need to do a stage 2 paint correction unless you're okay with sealing in all of the scratches as is. You're going to get way more clarity in the paint with proper correction but you're also going to need to up your maintenance regimen.

You'll be removing the scratches but the other half is having a proper wash process to maintain that level of paint quality. A lot to consider before committing to a 2 year + durability LSP.
Appreciate 0