THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Remus Axleback exhaust with custom midpipe - m240i

09-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
zsalim240i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 White M240

Remus Axleback exhaust with custom midpipe - m240i

Hey guys, just got a Remus axleback put in with a custom midpipe from my local muffler shop:

Here's a short clip with my thoughts:

It sounds GOOD! The best thing about the remus is that it retains the valve functionality so I can have it loud in sport/sport+ and softer in comfort(that was a big selling point for me since I have a 6 month old).

Driving in comfort: the car definitely sounds beefier, you can tell there's an exhaust with the windows rolled up but it's not super loud and you can't really hear much. With the windows rolled down, you can hear the sound and it's definitely louder but not raspy, it's very smooth.

Driving in sport: This is where the exhaust really shines, it gets much louder and pops a lot on deceleration. You can hear the pops in the cabin as well with the windows rolled up, and the windows down you can hear the pops and gurgles even when decelerating in 3rd or 4th gear.
The upshifts sound AMAZING in Sport mode.

The one thing that someone might have a problem with this setup is that it's not THAT loud volume wise. The sound itself is really nice, the gurgles, pops and theatrics are fantastic, but in terms of volume this isn't super loud. Which for me is fine but if you're looking for something super obnoxious and you want to be heard coming from two streets down, then this setup is not for you.

I imagine this sounds very similar to Remus Axleback with Dinan Midpipe or MPE with Dinan as I showed them the muffler shop the spec for the dinan and they made mine out of stainless as well. The only reason I did not get the MPE was because for some reason for the m240i they don't support the valve closing functionality so it's the same volume regardless of which mode you're in(confirmed by Brian at Sun Motors). The m235i does support this with the MPE.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions or video requests, yes this one isn't that great I know I know and it's in a parking garage at work, I'll try to get some more up soon.

Aside: I have an Agency Power intake also that sounds amazing when combined with the exhaust setup, you can hear the turbos spool and then release as you rev up and then a giant snap/pop as you shift from 1st to 2nd, sounds soooo good.

Here's the clip:

the first few revs are in comfort, then in sport and sport plus. You'll be able to tell the difference.
      09-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Thanks for posting this. It's pretty much the exact setup I think I'd want for my M240i. I also like the fact that the valve still works so it can be a bit quieter in the right mode and that it's not TOO loud.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
zsalim240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Thanks for posting this. It's pretty much the exact setup I think I'd want for my M240i. I also like the fact that the valve still works so it can be a bit quieter in the right mode and that it's not TOO loud.
Yeah it's fantastic, I find myself driving in Sport a lot more often just to hear the pops and the up shifts, my mpg's can attest to that
      09-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

Is your DP stock?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:23 AM   #5
zsalim240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloelectro View Post
Is your DP stock?
Yup, completely stock. At some point I know I'll want to make this setup louder and that time I'll get a tune and a catted DP, just didn't want to do that at the moment.
      09-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsalim240i View Post
Quote:
Is your DP stock?
Yup, completely stock. At some point I know I'll want to make this setup louder and that time I'll get a tune and a catted DP, just didn't want to do that at the moment.
I have the CG precision DS-1 200cel downpipe with Dinan midpipe and BM3 Stage 2 tune.

Sounds awesome. The DP is probably the biggest sound advancement I think. Really transformed the car.

The CG DP is solid too. No errors for omissions.

I'm debating on going Dinan to complete the series or Remus for the axleback still. Decisions decisions.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

i have a wagner downpipe and the midpipe removed also, orderded a remus exhaust , so wondering if it would not sound to hard
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
zsalim240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriszty View Post
i have a wagner downpipe and the midpipe removed also, orderded a remus exhaust , so wondering if it would not sound to hard
I think down the line that is going to be my next mod as well
      09-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #9
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Post vids when your done! I'm assuming if you have a high flow Wagner we will have comparable sound. Would love to hear the difference from what you have now and the Remus. Is your midpipe Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #10
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep

i have the 200 cell wagner downpipe, also midpipe is removed, i hope the exhaust will arive begin next week, i will try to make some sound post here

greets,
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i have the 200 cell wagner downpipe, also midpipe is removed, i hope the exhaust will arive begin next week, i will try to make some sound post here

greets,
Oh you're getting the cat-back, Not axle back? Should sound phenomenal!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
zsalim240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Post vids when your done! I'm assuming if you have a high flow Wagner we will have comparable sound. Would love to hear the difference from what you have now and the Remus. Is your midpipe Dinan?
no the midpipe is from a muffler shop in Lewisville, I showed them the Dinan and he said he could do the same for much less so I went that route. What made you decide Wagner over some of the other DP choices like VSRF etc
      09-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #13
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsalim240i View Post
Quote:
no the midpipe is from a muffler shop in Lewisville, I showed them the Dinan and he said he could do the same for much less so I went that route. What made you decide Wagner over some of the other DP choices like VSRF etc
Ok I got you. I actually went with the CG DS-1 200cel downpipe. Pretty on par with Wagner. Im not 100% convinced VSRF quality control is that stellar. CG is made in US. I know VRSF is widely used but I wanted a high quality high flow DP that made it so I wasn't swapping DP every time I needed to get an inspection and also mitigate smell. I'm ok sacrificing some power over that. The CG DP has great reviews anywhere I looked so seemed to me like a no brainer. I'd rather pay a tax on price for well engineered part than save some money with potential for issues down the road. Wagner was the other brand I explored. Heard great things about them too. Just decided CG was better for my application.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #14
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh you're getting the cat-back, Not axle back? Should sound phenomenal!
installing is planned on the 10-10
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 05:12 AM   #16
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep

yesterday the remus axle catback exhaust was installed on my M240i , my other mods where already ( wagner 200 downpipe, midpipe removed ) i made a small video before the cold start and a short video after the remus was installed ( which i will post later on ) but i think the video does not hear or feel the difference how this remus exhaust will make, it,s something you have to hear yourself. Cold start was not a big difference with the Oem exhaust ( i thought i would be much louder , but not !! ) even driving in comfort mode does not make a big difference, you hear and feel a much deeper sound, but in Sport mode with the flap open it,s a big difference, the car has now in my opinion the sound like a real sport car. Deeper sound, louder pops and bangs . the real questions is, should i buy it again if i have a other M40i BMW, i would say "YES" this is a must have

greetings from a rainy Netherlands
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yesterday the remus axle catback exhaust was installed on my M240i , my other mods where already ( wagner 200 downpipe, midpipe removed ) i made a small video before the cold start and a short video after the remus was installed ( which i will post later on ) but i think the video does not hear or feel the difference how this remus exhaust will make, it,s something you have to hear yourself. Cold start was not a big difference with the Oem exhaust ( i thought i would be much louder , but not !! ) even driving in comfort mode does not make a big difference, you hear and feel a much deeper sound, but in Sport mode with the flap open it,s a big difference, the car has now in my opinion the sound like a real sport car. Deeper sound, louder pops and bangs . the real questions is, should i buy it again if i have a other M40i BMW, i would say "YES" this is a must have

Im glad to hear your are happy with your setup

Appreciate 1
kriszty328.50
      10-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #18
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Just bought the Remus as well. Thanks for the review. Helped me with my decision!

Thanks Mike from x-ph.com for the great pricing as always!
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just bought the Remus as well. Thanks for the review. Helped me with my decision!

Thanks Mike from x-ph.com for the great pricing as always!
My pleasure

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #20
petrosexxual
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW ///M240i 6MT EB-II

Sounds good, congrats! A bit more tame than my AWE setup, which is a good thing at times...Bystanders and other drivers are often not fans lol. Any videos from inside the cabin or while accelerating?
SOLD: 1999 BMW M3 |ESTORIL BLUE - DOVE GREY
IG: @petro.sexual
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #21
zsalim240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrosexxual View Post
Sounds good, congrats! A bit more tame than my AWE setup, which is a good thing at times...Bystanders and other drivers are often not fans lol. Any videos from inside the cabin or while accelerating?
Quote:

I'll try and get one and post it on here
      11-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #22
zsalim240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here you go, sorry for the terrible quality, recording device is a Pixel 1

These are mostly with windows rolled down halfway, idk if you can hear it but agency power intake is much louder in person and exhaust pops are deeper in person as well.