THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Gear box fumes?

08-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Billdog
Rep
Drives: 230i m sport coupe

Gear box fumes?

Reposting a query in slightly different manner.

I have 230i UK spec new May2018. Since new intermittent fume smell inside car when fully warmed up and stopped or restarting from auto stop.

Dealers theoryrelated to sports auto box clutches bedding in. Says they will fit carbon filters to avoid smell during bedding period. Have not experienced it with any other BMW with this box. Has any one else and what are the opinions on the theory.

Car going in to have remedial work done so should know soon if theory correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Does it smell like oil burning?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 05:48 AM   #3
Billdog
Rep
Drives: 230i m sport coupe

Gear box fumes?

Not really. More fuel like. Taking my it in Wednesday so will have to see. But can’t get a straight answer to ‘Why just my car?’.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdog View Post
Reposting a query in slightly different manner.

I have 230i UK spec new May2018. Since new intermittent fume smell inside car when fully warmed up and stopped or restarting from auto stop.

Dealers theoryrelated to sports auto box clutches bedding in. Says they will fit carbon filters to avoid smell during bedding period. Have not experienced it with any other BMW with this box. Has any one else and what are the opinions on the theory.

Car going in to have remedial work done so should know soon if theory correct.
Hi Billdog,
Did you ever get this resolved, if so what was the resolution? I have a X3 M40i which intermittently emits a strong chemical smell through the vents which I can also smell outside similar to what you describe. In my case it smells like gas from a kitchen hob rather than petrol fumes.

The dealer states that it is a normal new car smell (I’m currently on 2500 miles) but I have never smelt anything like it before on any of my previous cars and initially thought it could be the GPF (when heating up).

Thanks!
Minty
Appreciate 0