THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Tune and Warranty. Regrets?

08-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
KjPerry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i xDrive

Tune and Warranty. Regrets?

Hi,

Very new to tuning.

My current setup is a catless downpipe and an intake. I do not plan on tracking or doing meth but want more.

After all the reading on this forum (thank you everyone), I very much want to go with BM3 along with upgrading my charge pipe and intercooler (mike XPH, I'll be messaging you!).

I understand tuning voids the warranty and I currently have 25,000 miles on the car. I did buy it pre owned and have only had it since roughly end of April. I have not had any issues or problems with it.

I very very much want to upgrade the above mentioned parts and tune with BM3!

I guess my question to the community is what is the likeliness of an issue occurring but not covered my warranty if I tune with BM3 given the current mileage of the car?

Of course there is always a risk of something happening and not covered. No one knows the future. But is there a high probability of something going wrong if tuned and not covered under warranty?

I thought of possibly waiting until some time around March 2020 to do this work to see if any thing comes up.

Has anyone out there tuned the car and issue happen that WOULD be covered but deal will not do since it was tuned? How rare is that?

Any insights and opinions would appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

From everything I've read on multiple forums with this brand, be prepared to pay after you tune, period. If you were fortunate and had a failure covered after tuning, consider yourself very lucky... just read twice about engine failures not being covered on B58 with only Dinan stage one, BMW picked up on vehicle running too much boost, not covered (was covered by Dinan apparently though)...
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Let's just say it's an inherent risk. WE ALL HAVE TAKEN RISKS ON TUNING OUR CARS. I HAVE YET TO ANY ISSUES WITH ANY OF MY CARS TUNED. THE REASON IS THAT IF I REMOVE EVERYTHING PRIOR TO GOING TO THE STEALERSHIP FOR BASIC SERVICE. ON THE OTHER HAND MY ONE CAR THAT IS MODERATELY TUNED IS OUT OF WARRANTY SO I DON'T CARE.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY LIFE! FUCK IT.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjPerry View Post
Hi,

Very new to tuning.

My current setup is a catless downpipe and an intake. I do not plan on tracking or doing meth but want more.

After all the reading on this forum (thank you everyone), I very much want to go with BM3 along with upgrading my charge pipe and intercooler [LIST]
(mike XPH, I'll be messaging you!).

I understand tuning voids the warranty and I currently have 25,000 miles on the car. I did buy it pre owned and have only had it since roughly end of April. I have not had any issues or problems with it.

I very very much want to upgrade the above mentioned parts and tune with BM3!

I guess my question to the community is what is the likeliness of an issue occurring but not covered my warranty if I tune with BM3 given the current mileage of the car?

Of course there is always a risk of something happening and not covered. No one knows the future. But is there a high probability of something going wrong if tuned and not covered under warranty?

I thought of possibly waiting until some time around March 2020 to do this work to see if any thing comes up.

Has anyone out there tuned the car and issue happen that WOULD be covered but deal will not do since it was tuned? How rare is that?

Any insights and opinions would appreciated.

Thanks.

I have a had a lot of unrelated issues covered by warranty even with the car FBO.
If the issue is not related to your mods, the dealership should fix it for free. If it is, you should not expect them to fix it

That being said BM3 is a very safe and reliable tune, the odds of damages are very low to begin with

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
KjPerry17.50
RMNB365.00