THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Anything else I can improve?

05-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #23
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

It's great that they decided to develop the S3 tune for the N26 but remember, it's a $2500 item. That, plus the cost of the intercooler make it a very expensive mod indeed. You'd have to decide if it's cost-effective for the gains it gives and how much time you plan to spend above 5000 rpm on the street.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #24
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 228 Xdrive -Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
It's great that they decided to develop the S3 tune for the N26 but remember, it's a $2500 item. That, plus the cost of the intercooler make it a very expensive mod indeed. You'd have to decide if it's cost-effective for the gains it gives and how much time you plan to spend above 5000 rpm on the street.

Definitely not cheap but the tune cost will just be the difference between the stage 1 and 3. The intercooler (and any other parts) will add up though. As you mentioned, suspension upgrades are a good place to look in the meantime. Not sure what is out their for AWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #25
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

I got the new OZ RACING ALLEGGERITA HLTs put on (17x8) with 235/45 r17s. Now looking at coilover options.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #26
rams
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e34 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldstein2000 View Post
I got the new OZ RACING ALLEGGERITA HLTs put on (17x8) with 235/45 r17s. Now looking at coilover options.
Nice wheels!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 12:13 AM   #27
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rams View Post
Nice wheels!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 11:08 PM   #28
Bushings
Rep
Drives: e90 on Order

I bought the 228i for my wife and I forgot to add the electric seats and mirrors that fold in. Have a very narrow garage wife will not touch the car. She spends her lunch break in the car so non electric seats does not work for her. Tried to sell the car, paid $40K incl taxes and dealers are offering me $28K - it has 1200 miles on it. So decided that I will drive the car instead, I was waiting for the M2.... sigh... Went to my Andrew at Sonic Motorsport and told him, make my car sexy. His shop did

1. Hotchkis front and rear sway bars
2. M3 control arms
3. KW Variant 3 coilovers
4. Active 8 tune from Active Autowerke

AND the misfortune has been turned around to an amazing car that I LOVE.

People say e46 M3 is the best M3. I matched the new numbers that I have now on the mod'd 228i - it matches exactly. Funny it even beats the weight to torque ratio of all M3 so far at 11.2 lbs per lb ft of torque.

I actually wake up and look forward to drive into the office I took a 2200 mile road trip around California and Nevada after doing the above changes and it was a treat.

Next week, will be doing per Andrew's advice
1. Evolution Raceweeks Downpipe
2. ER Charge Pipe
3. ER Intercooler
4. ER Turbo to Intercooler Charge Pipe

This should give me additional power and sound of the engine that I can mostly hear.

In about 10,000 more miles I will change the tires to Michelin PSS and in 25,000 miles will change the wheels to Apex wheels -> 18x9.5" ET58 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

Most of the above (similar) mods have been also done to my wife 128i convertible with 80K miles and she is happily driving it. I took her 128i on a trip through the mountains to Reno/South Lake Tahoe. I have driven about 20 times that same route, the drive in the 128i was the best of the lot. So what I am trying to say is that Andrew's advice is totally working for me.

BTW I will NOT be changing the exhaust on the 228i since I am too old to drive a loud car.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:01 AM   #29
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

bimalh what a great list of upgrades. I wish I knew a shop here I could trust completely. I started down the Dinan route to keep a level of comfort and it's hard to switch that up now. They just have so little for an Xdrive with the n26 engine. Congrats on your car man. How do you like the KW coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #30
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimalh
I bought the 228i for my wife and I forgot to add the electric seats and mirrors that fold in. Have a very narrow garage wife will not touch the car. She spends her lunch break in the car so non electric seats does not work for her. Tried to sell the car, paid $40K incl taxes and dealers are offering me $28K - it has 1200 miles on it. So decided that I will drive the car instead, I was waiting for the M2.... sigh... Went to my Andrew at Sonic Motorsport and told him, make my car sexy. His shop did

1. Hotchkis front and rear sway bars
2. M3 control arms
3. KW Variant 3 coilovers
4. Active 8 tune from Active Autowerke

AND the misfortune has been turned around to an amazing car that I LOVE.

People say e46 M3 is the best M3. I matched the new numbers that I have now on the mod'd 228i - it matches exactly. Funny it even beats the weight to torque ratio of all M3 so far at 11.2 lbs per lb ft of torque.

I actually wake up and look forward to drive into the office I took a 2200 mile road trip around California and Nevada after doing the above changes and it was a treat.

2. ER Charge Pipe
3. ER Intercooler

This should give me additional power and sound of the engine that I can mostly hear.

In about 10,000 more miles I will change the tires to Michelin PSS and in 25,000 miles will change the wheels to Apex wheels -> 18x9.5" ET58 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

Most of the above (similar) mods have been also done to my wife 128i convertible with 80K miles and she is happily driving it. I took her 128i on a trip through the mountains to Reno/South Lake Tahoe. I have driven about 20 times that same route, the drive in the 128i was the best of the lot. So what I am trying to say is that Andrew's advice is totally working for me.

BTW I will NOT be changing the exhaust on the 228i since I am too old to drive a loud car.

Hope this helps...
Wow, those are some hardcore mods!! So much for emissions regs! How are you going to negotiate that when it comes to warranty service? Do not delay with those PSSes or you will not feel anything like the full driving benefits of all that work you've done! Congrats on an uncompromising setup for the 228; they really can be made to fly.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #31
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

@bimah I'm assuming you have the N20 engine?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #32
Bushings
Rep

The thing I have learnt is to find the best goddamn mod Guru and his/her shop. Look for the cars they mod - if you see multiple $60K+ cars being modded on a single day (sampled on 3 different days) then that is the shop for you

So my Guru said that spend the extra $600 and go with the KW Variant 3 and he told me why I should not be going with V1 and V2. I do not want to write the reasons here and upset fellow enthusiasts who own them. So I have V3s on the wife's car as well as mine. They are all set to the factory recommendation - I like that setting since I do very normal human being type driving

BUT What a difference on ride quality. Earlier - I would say the stock 228i was like a prancing horse - all over the place and I would feel scared taking curved ramps onto highways.... But now it just sticks sticks and sticks and BEHAVES. But I have to say it is due the combo of the KWs (50%), M3 Control Arms (25%) and Sway Bars (25%)

I am delaying on the PSS since I have almost there type tires which I had chosen as an option when I ordered the car. So let them wear out and then will change to PSS.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #33
Bushings
Rep

With 2 inches of lowering using the coilovers and +54 lb ft gain using Active 8 tune...... This is what I came up against when I compared against the best M3 ever made. Please see the attachment. Look at the lb per lb ft of torque of the F22 against all the M3s ever made
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:31 AM   #34
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimalh View Post
The thing I have learnt is to find the best goddamn mod Guru and his/her shop. Look for the cars they mod - if you see multiple $60K+ cars being modded on a single day (sampled on 3 different days) then that is the shop for you

So my Guru said that spend the extra $600 and go with the KW Variant 3 and he told me why I should not be going with V1 and V2. I do not want to write the reasons here and upset fellow enthusiasts who own them. So I have V3s on the wife's car as well as mine. They are all set to the factory recommendation - I like that setting since I do very normal human being type driving

BUT What a difference on ride quality. Earlier - I would say the stock 228i was like a prancing horse - all over the place and I would feel scared taking curved ramps onto highways.... But now it just sticks sticks and sticks and BEHAVES. But I have to say it is due the combo of the KWs (50%), M3 Control Arms (25%) and Sway Bars (25%)

I am delaying on the PSS since I have almost there type tires which I had chosen as an option when I ordered the car. So let them wear out and then will change to PSS.
The main difference in the KW V3 is they are dual adjustable for rebound and compression, V2 is a single knob that adjusts both and V1 comes with preset damping. The V3 is a nice coilover if you know how to set it up but it's overkill for most people.

Bilstein makes a B14 PSS kit for cars without electronic suspension that will fit the OP's car and pretty reasonably priced for a quality product. I'm either getting it or the M Performance suspension when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #35
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

@joeyf228 I think I am about to pull the trigger on those Bilsteins.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #36
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

2. ER Charge Pipe
3. ER Intercooler

Hope this helps...[/QUOTE]

Can you give us an update on this install? Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #37
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I like my 228i just the way it is except I wished I had a slightly louder exhaust. Would a CAI give me this or would it be better to get a nicer sounding exhaust. I had a low noise Magna Flow exhaust on my Jeep and I liked the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #38
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I like my 228i just the way it is except I wished I had a slightly louder exhaust. Would a CAI give me this or would it be better to get a nicer sounding exhaust. I had a low noise Magna Flow exhaust on my Jeep and I liked the sound.
The loudness from a CAI is from the front of the car(intake air) and it is much cheaper and,to me DIY,. The louder exhaust is from the rear (Duh, engine noise) and it is more expensive. I'm leaning to the exhaust mod and the increased engine noise: AWE Tuning exhaust suite when it becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #39
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

I believe awe has cancelled the exhaust suite for the 228 😡
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #40
DasPanda
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White 228i xdrive

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life after 2 almost 3 yrs later but any updates on those mods? How was it?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #41
jaymaso
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 228i

Could anyone give me an idea if i need an upgraded intercooler or not? I have a 14 228i tuned to bm3 stage 1, but really interested in the stage 2 and that is where it says i need an upgraded intercooler, does it really matters?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 12:37 AM   #42
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymaso View Post
Could anyone give me an idea if i need an upgraded intercooler or not? I have a 14 228i tuned to bm3 stage 1, but really interested in the stage 2 and that is where it says i need an upgraded intercooler, does it really matters?
It sure does!

For best results with stage 2, get a 6" intercooler (Wagner EVO II, CSF, RSF 6" competition).

If you are on a budget and do not push the car often, get a 5" intercooler (Wagner EVO I, VRSF 5" or Active Autowerke)

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0