THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning B48 bootmod3 Out

07-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

B48 bootmod3 Out

Not sure why no one's saying anything about the bootmod3 being available for the B48 engine. I'm debating whether or not to get it (currently have JB+; would be nice if it were a little smoother at low revs). What are your thoughts?
(plus i'm still under warranty so...)

Last edited by sandrik93; 07-25-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

It's been more active over the 3 series forum.

Got it, flashed stage 1 93 octane and after 24 hours and some fun it's pulling hard and it's super smooth.
      07-26-2019, 12:51 AM   #3
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitaineBeaver View Post

Got it, flashed stage 1 93 octane and after 24 hours and some fun it's pulling hard and it's super smooth.
Do you have a stock downpipe?
I saw you mentioned weird burbles in 3er forum. What's with that?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrik93 View Post
Quote:

Do you have a stock downpipe?
I saw you mentioned weird burbles in 3er forum. What's with that?
Stock downpipe, dinan acleback and res delete (the one closer the the exhaust)

Burble is better after 2 days of drive but the weirdness might be just me.

Feel like it's the Dinan exhaust thats trying to silence the burble so it can sound a bit metally from in the car. People outside the car seemed to love it when I showed them.

With my setup it's far far far from as loud as you can see online which to me is a good thing.
      07-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Feel like it's the Dinan exhaust thats trying to silence the burble so it can sound a bit metally from in the car. People outside the car seemed to love it when I showed them.

With my setup it's far far far from as loud as you can see online which to me is a good thing.
Got it, thanks.
So no CEL or other errors right?
Did you flash it with the external battery or didn't bother?
and are you gonna put on the stock map and DME relock when going for service or you have a friendly SA? (I read so much about it that feels like I'm the only one who doesn't have one )
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Not sure why no one's saying anything about the bootmod3 being available for the B48 engine. I'm debating whether or not to get it (currently have JB+; would be nice if it were a little smoother at low revs). What are your thoughts?
We offer it + Free Enet cable & Decals as we do with all our BM3 licenses

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Got it, thanks.
So no CEL or other errors right?
Did you flash it with the external battery or didn't bother?
and are you gonna put on the stock map and DME relock when going for service or you have a friendly SA? (I read so much about it that feels like I'm the only one who doesn't have one )
After about 300km no CEL and the response and everything is just adapting and getting better.

I did it at work without a battery tender since the wife doesnt need to know and to me it's pretty mild in comfort mode. I wouldnt recommend doing it with a weak battery or in colder temperature.

Make sure you have a compatible adapter since this was my issue. If you are using a MAC use the apple official usb to ethernet adapter since I had issue with 2 working offbrand adapter.

I will be going up north over the weekend and donabout an additional 400km and I will see if any error report with the elevation change (even if not that much (1200-1500feet elevation) that JB4 threw a CEL 50% of the time at the same spot).

I am planning on locking the DME back and flashing back to stock even if I consider my SA very friendly with my past cars (aka FBO E92 335 a few years back now and JB4'd 230i before this one).
      07-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
We offer it + Free Enet cable & Decals as we do with all our BM3 licenses
I would've gotten my license through you if my wofe would've been in the states but she is here with me for a month. Do recommend ordering from him from past experience.
      07-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would've gotten my license through you if my wofe would've been in the states but she is here with me for a month. Do recommend ordering from him from past experience.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #10
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I'm hoping I'll be ready to tune before the autoX season starts next year! I'll see you in Vegas this spring, Mike. Maybe sooner if I can find time to go down for SEMA.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71Rs, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 07:45 PM   #11
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

Im closing in on 1000km (about 850-900km done) since the Stage 1 - 93 octane BM3 flash.
I have always gazed up at nation-wide brand Petro-Canada 94 octane and all seem good (no logging done so far whatsover). I do carry a bottle of octane booster for the odd occasion where 94 octane might not be available (very rare).
Elevation change did not cause a CEL and I have yet to have a CEL light. Everything is going smoothly except that I'm going through gas a lot faster because I just want to floor it at every occasion.
Burble do seem to have became better and less weird per my perception.
I highly suggest the BM3 flash to anyone with a 30i B46/B48 with my experience so far.
Still have to hit the track before summer ends (when all those heatwaves will die down) and get some numbers with dragy over my JB4'd '17 230i I had before.
      08-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
I'm hoping I'll be ready to tune before the autoX season starts next year! I'll see you in Vegas this spring, Mike. Maybe sooner if I can find time to go down for SEMA.
Sounds good

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #13
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Im closing in on 1000km (about 850-900km done) since the Stage 1 - 93 octane BM3 flash.
I have always gazed up at nation-wide brand Petro-Canada 94 octane and all seem good (no logging done so far whatsover). I do carry a bottle of octane booster for the odd occasion where 94 octane might not be available (very rare).
Elevation change did not cause a CEL and I have yet to have a CEL light. Everything is going smoothly except that I'm going through gas a lot faster because I just want to floor it at every occasion.
I highly suggest the BM3 flash to anyone with a 30i B46/B48 with my experience so far.
Still have to hit the track before summer ends (when all those heatwaves will die down) and get some numbers with dragy over my JB4'd '17 230i I had before.
Thank you for info. Do you feel any difference between JB4 and BM3?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:29 PM   #14
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for info. Do you feel any difference between JB4 and BM3?
Feels like there is a little less up top with the BM3 (pretty sure was boosting more with the JB4) but to me daily driveability and smoothness is a lot better with BM3