THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Ways to add Carplay? New Head unit or...?

08-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

Ways to add Carplay? New Head unit or...?

I have a 2015 m235 M performance edition with the premium Harmon Kardon system.

I'd like to add Carplay - I'm not really well versed in after market or current options so would appreciate any suggestions.

I would be open to swapping out the head unit for something from Pioneer or others but am not sure what people are going with these days. Also not sure how well these things would work on integrating functions provided by the existing iDrive system. Do you generally lose all that functionality by switching?

Any help or pointers to existing threads would be appreciated, have started to poke through past threads.

THank you
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
WinterIsComing
Rep
Drives: M235 Convertible

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
I just put in a deposit with Steve from codemybimmer ... I have the 2015 M235 Convertible that I leased and bought off lease since I loved it so much...
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

An aftermarket head unit brings all types of issues because of the integration of vehicle systems. I don't know if it's been done on any F-series BMW. I did it on my E90 but even then had to relocate the original head unit and keep it connected for certain system functions.

Your best bet is a head unit swap from an ID4 to an ID6 head unit. I ordered one of these from Steve at CodeMyBimmer and am pleased with the results (and the service ... they are excellent to deal with).

The other option is to use an MMI unit (both Bimmer-Tech and CodeMyBimmer have them) but I've read mixed reviews about the audio quality because they use the auxiliary input.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

Thank you both for the on point responses. I'll drop Steve a line based on your recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
Evano
Rep
Drives: M240i

Get an 10" Android screen. It replaces exiting screen giving access to android apps including auto kit app (CarPlay) via a usb dongle add on. The unit also retains oem user interface if required as well as having an up to date UI similar to new idrive interface on Android side. Sound quality is equal to oem when connected thru amp but can deteriorate if connected via aux. Search in YouTube you will find plenty of content on this.
Appreciate 0