THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Mid-Pipe for 2020 M240i Convertible

08-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
2011 135i MSport Conv
Rep
Drives: 2011 M Sport Conv Lemans Blue

Dinan Mid-Pipe for 2020 M240i Convertible

Dinan says they have not test fit their resonator delete mid-pipe for the 2020 M240i in the new Convertible.

Does anyone have experience with the deletion of the resonator and a new straight mid-pipe like Dinan supplies?

Thank you for your replies.

Best, Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
abundleofbunnies
Rep
Drives: F23 M235xi

I believe it does not fit. I did some research for my 16 cab and it doesnt fit there.
Its why im looking at either a new axle back or maybe the dinan tune.

I dont suspect the chassis changed much for the LCI (since the main "new" thing on the 240 is the B58 instead of N55), but im not a BMW engineer.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
2011 135i MSport Conv
Rep
Drives: 2011 M Sport Conv Lemans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by abundleofbunnies View Post
I believe it does not fit. I did some research for my 16 cab and it doesnt fit there.
Its why im looking at either a new axle back or maybe the dinan tune.

I dont suspect the chassis changed much for the LCI (since the main "new" thing on the 240 is the B58 instead of N55), but im not a BMW engineer.
I have info that installation is possible. BMW installed one in Fort Meyers.

But I went finally another route. I had purchased the MPE from BMW and had them install it. I was greatly disappointed in the volume and growl of my sports car.

The muffler was not worth the expense.

I took the car to a custom muffler place, and discussed two things with them. One was could we make changes which could be easily reversed at the end of my lease. The second one was could we remove the larger resonator and if the sound was not loud enough and with more growl, then go further and remove the smaller resonator.

They said no problem, and in 15 or 20 minutes the larger resonator was cut out and on the ground. A straight pipe was then fitted and welded in its place. The resonator was removed so it could be welded back in later.

We sound tested the vehicle both cold and hot and I decided to stop at that point and drive the car for a while. I remain satisfied with the mode in sport, which is much improved in volume and growl.

I don't see much change in comfort mode. But I could remove the first smaller resonator.

If it were me, I would keep the stock muffler and remove the resonators. The stock muffler is described by BMW as a Sport Exhaust. But it will only ever function that way in the sport mode when the valve in the muffler is open.

My cost was $50 dollars. I could have built a whole new mid pipe and installed it for $100.

Compare that to purchasing the Dinan mid pipe for $500. My dealer quoted the Dinan installed at about $850.

Good luck with your mods. There is no down side to my solution, what do you have to lose?

Best,

Mike
Appreciate 0