THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Anyone done bootmod3 on N20 yet?

05-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Anyone done bootmod3 on N20 yet?

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread or two about this here...

I have a 2016 228i N20 with a Dinantronics SPORT set permanently to "Race" mode (+4) on regular California 91 gas.

Tempted to switch to BM3 OTS Stage 1 and wondering what the differences (and hopefully improvements) will be. I am happy with the performance of the piggy-back but wish it was a bit smoother in the mid-range.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
raldenlee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M Sport coupe

I have also been surprised by the lack of interest on this forum. There are several threads on bootmod3 on the 3 series forum, but unfortunately no dynos posted when last I checked. I did contact Protuningfreaks, who make the bootmod3 flash and the said:
“Unfortunately we don't have dyno numbers for the N20 yet. You can expect 50-70hp over stock on pump gas depending on mods, octane and dyno used. STG2 has about 20-30whp over STG1”. Sounds encouraging but I’m still waiting for dyno charts.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I'm very interested in this as well. After removing the Stage 1 BMS tune for a few days and putting it back on the smoothness and lack of is very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 11:41 PM   #4
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So today I took off the Dinantronics, broke out the laptop, and did the BM3 OTS Stage 1 flash. It was super easy. I've only done about five miles but I can already tell it's much smoother. Arguably not quite as exciting a kick in the pants when the boost comes in but it comes in just as much. The top end feels smoother and the high-gear pull is just as strong. It's probably a side-grade on paper, but the smoothness is definitely an improvement. More when I've done some more miles.
Appreciate 2
Ace60411.00
wyu1778.50
      05-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
So today I took off the Dinantronics, broke out the laptop, and did the BM3 OTS Stage 1 flash. It was super easy. I've only done about five miles but I can already tell it's much smoother. Arguably not quite as exciting a kick in the pants when the boost comes in but it comes in just as much. The top end feels smoother and the high-gear pull is just as strong. It's probably a side-grade on paper, but the smoothness is definitely an improvement. More when I've done some more miles.
Please keep us updated. Deciding on whether to go with BM3 or JB4.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
nemobanks
Nemo banks
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 328i

Go on the 3 series f30 forums . N20
FBO N20, G-Plus Oil Cooler , Injen Cold Air Intake, MST turbo inlet, AFE Charge Pipe, BMS Oil Catch Can, Forged Motorsport Blow of Vavle, Wanger FMIC, Circuit Werkes Catless Downpipe, Full Straight 3inch exhuast. Stage 2 Active Auto Werke.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 02:24 AM   #7
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i THP M-Sport Tech Lig

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace604 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace604 View Post
Quote:

Did you end up pulling the trigger on either? I just ordered an injen intake, and I'm trying to decide on a time as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I will check with my customers if anyone is interested in sharing their experience, so far all we have been receive is positive feedback on BM3

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't have any objective technical info to share, but subjectively I'm extremely happy with the BM3 OTS Stage 1 (91) flash, which I've been running for about a month and 300 miles. My description has not changed: it doesn't have the sudden kick-in-the-pants excitement when the boost comes in of the AA8 and DT Sport that I've run before, but the peak performance feels about the same if not better, and it just feels so smooth all the time... like a big NA six. Thoroughly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Injen intake is installed! Planning on get the BM3 next, then chargepipe, FMIC, and a high flow catted downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #11
yubor
Yubor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Hey guys im new to the forum, i have a 228i 2015 and i installed the bmw about a month ago, im running ots stage 2 map. my mods are just a drop in K&N filter and a catless downpipe. all i can say is its awesome. much better performance, i raced a 370z from dig and i took him. (launch control to my advantage) but overall very good and my car rides much better than my previous JB4. i have my dyno numbers. if you guys want DM ME! my instagram is @yubor or my car insta @m228i_sport
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #12
2Sol
Rep
Drives: F22

Can't you run the flash tune AND JB4 together though??
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sol View Post
Can't you run the flash tune AND JB4 together though??
If I'm not mistaken, on the bootmod web site it says you can. It says, referring to features:

Some of the map features provided:
- Top speed limiter removal
- Higher rev limiter
- Exhaust burble
- Cold start cat heat cycle and cat efficiency check removed (for off-road use)
- Maps for upgraded turbos
- E85/blend, race gas and meth injection tuning
- Custom Throttle mapping
- Backend Flash maps for use with piggybacks such as the JB4
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #14
2Sol
Rep
Drives: F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
If I'm not mistaken, on the bootmod web site it says you can. It says, referring to features:

Some of the map features provided:
- Top speed limiter removal
- Higher rev limiter
- Exhaust burble
- Cold start cat heat cycle and cat efficiency check removed (for off-road use)
- Maps for upgraded turbos
- E85/blend, race gas and meth injection tuning
- Custom Throttle mapping
- Backend Flash maps for use with piggybacks such as the JB4
Thanks for clarifying!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i Xdrive

Hey guys ive done bootmo3 tune on my car if you need questions just ask lol.

Previous:F30 328i 2012 PWG: FBO Vrsf 6 stepped fmic, Afe intake, Catless DP ER, FTP CP's, FTP turbo inlet, GFB DV+, Gplus oil cooler, BM3 stg 2 tune, Cary Jordan E50 tuned stock fuel system.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 11:59 PM   #16
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegov209 View Post
Hey guys ive done bootmo3 tune on my car if you need questions just ask lol.
Do you have any other mods? (Downpipe Intercooler chargepipe GFB or the like?) I'm curious if you think the stage one alone is worth $600. I've been thinking about getting an M235i buti might just do the BM3 and a catless downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #17
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMIAGI View Post
Do you have any other mods? (Downpipe Intercooler chargepipe GFB or the like?) I'm curious if you think the stage one alone is worth $600. I've been thinking about getting an M235i buti might just do the BM3 and a catless downpipe.
Yes im basically FBO stg 2 lpfp, gfb dv+, catless dp, jb4 and bm3 stg 2 agg 91 octane and e30 tune custom, intake, muffler res delete, chargepipe, I think thats it I may be missing something if not the mods are on my signature.
Its pretty worth it honestly its very smooth and reliable power in my opinion coming from jb4 lol.

Previous:F30 328i 2012 PWG: FBO Vrsf 6 stepped fmic, Afe intake, Catless DP ER, FTP CP's, FTP turbo inlet, GFB DV+, Gplus oil cooler, BM3 stg 2 tune, Cary Jordan E50 tuned stock fuel system.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #18
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes im basically FBO stg 2 lpfp, gfb dv+, catless dp, jb4 and bm3 stg 2 agg 91 octane and e30 tune custom, intake, muffler res delete, chargepipe, I think thats it I may be missing something if not the mods are on my signature.
Its pretty worth it honestly its very smooth and reliable power in my opinion coming from jb4 lol.
Damnnnn that's like everything man haha that's awesome! Do you have any videos of the muffler delete with the catless downpipe? I'm looking to get a better exhaust tone so I was thinking about that just a little worried it will be too loud. I was considering just trading up to the M235i but I really like my car.
Appreciate 1
Diegov209163.50
      09-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #19
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Damnnnn that's like everything man haha that's awesome! Do you have any videos of the muffler delete with the catless downpipe? I'm looking to get a better exhaust tone so I was thinking about that just a little worried it will be too loud. I was considering just trading up to the M235i but I really like my car.
Lol yeah bro almost everything I actually don't not going to lie it's freaking loud on cold starts like Loud lol in my honestly opinion I would trade to a m235i mainly because like I'm pretty sure you've heard engine is very fragile which It is compared to newer closed deck design of the b48. I'm planning to install upgraded rod bolts pretty soon maybe this November so I can push 350whp safely. In terms of tuning and power capabilities id go with the m235i honestly but I mean you can still do the same with the n20 but you just gotta waist a tad bit more lol

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #20
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol yeah bro almost everything I actually don't not going to lie it's freaking loud on cold starts like Loud lol in my honestly opinion I would trade to a m235i mainly because like I'm pretty sure you've heard engine is very fragile which It is compared to newer closed deck design of the b48. I'm planning to install upgraded rod bolts pretty soon maybe this November so I can push 350whp safely. In terms of tuning and power capabilities id go with the m235i honestly but I mean you can still do the same with the n20 but you just gotta waist a tad bit more lol
I like that you have the option of coding the cold start out with BM3 like if it was too loud. Yeah upgraded rods are a good idea for sure! I've been over on the 3 series forum a good bit since there's more N20 owners. It's really cool the types of power you can push your engine to. Yeah there's people over there getting 300hp to the wheels! I probably will go the M235i route if I can find one for a good price. I think I would be better off on resale value and reliability. Or I might just get the catless downpipe and BM3 Stage 2 and a muffler delete. I think I'd be happy with that. That's not too much money maybe about $800 and $300 in labor.
Appreciate 1
Diegov209163.50
      09-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I like that you have the option of coding the cold start out with BM3 like if it was too loud. Yeah upgraded rods are a good idea for sure! I've been over on the 3 series forum a good bit since there's more N20 owners. It's really cool the types of power you can push your engine to. Yeah there's people over there getting 300hp to the wheels! I probably will go the M235i route if I can find one for a good price. I think I would be better off on resale value and reliability. Or I might just get the catless downpipe and BM3 Stage 2 and a muffler delete. I think I'd be happy with that. That's not too much money maybe about $800 and $300 in labor.
Yeah same lol I don't take off the cold start tho lol. it may be loud but still like it and yeah I would definitely get a m235i it's a great car plus they sound nice in my opinion

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 04:31 AM   #22
Distrikt
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
I'm surprised that there isn't a thread or two about this here...

I have a 2016 228i N20 with a Dinantronics SPORT set permanently to "Race" mode (+4) on regular California 91 gas.

Tempted to switch to BM3 OTS Stage 1 and wondering what the differences (and hopefully improvements) will be. I am happy with the performance of the piggy-back but wish it was a bit smoother in the mid-range.
Thought I'd share my experience as both a JB+ and now a Bootmod3 Stage 1 user. to note my car is dead stock. I had been running the JB+ for 2 years now and had it set to +3,5 psi and is a great little piece of Hardware and had tons of fun driving with it. My Experience with the JB+ was that (because it only boosts psi) it would kick in at close to 4000rpm and the power gain was very noticeable. I have used Torque to data log and would see a max psi in the region of 19psi all up. I have gone up against many 3 litre v6 cars, power to weight ratio being a big factor here but have left them behind from a dig and pulled away. i have also gone up against an Audi S3 and it was very close, with the S3 pulling away slightly. The one thing that did bother me with the JB+ was the fact that it made the car jerky and was not that smooth through the gears but overall I had a great experience with it.

I decided to take it a step further and also wanted some burbles so decided to go with the bootmod3 stage1 tune. Have been running the tune for a couple of days now and from my experience what a difference over the JB+. More power and smoother to boot, my car feels like anther machine. Same torque app used on same profile setting and my psi is now at 21.9psi. I also noted that the sports display has been re calibrated through bootmod3 and i have got it to 220KW. (295HP). Ready to take on the Audi S3 again for a rematch in the near future .

The slight burbles that come with the stage 1 tune are fine for now and sound better in Sports Mode with flap always open.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers
Appreciate 0