THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning GSR Technik stage 2 FBO 228i review

12-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #23
boost82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

They prob put that epoxy on so nobody can steal the tune. That's the only thing that makes sense
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #24
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost82 View Post
They prob put that epoxy on so nobody can steal the tune. That's the only thing that makes sense
Bingo, I know another shop that does this for the same reason. Though he claims the epoxy could be broken by only him and could be put back to stock.
      12-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #25
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Still no chime in from GSR though which is odd considering the matter of this thread...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #26
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
GSR AUTOSPORT was bought by Trinity; GSR Technik is the tuning faction/entity/company. Separate entities that were at the same location I believe.
That is correct Thank you for posting this. GSR Technik is it's own entity. If anyone has questions or concerns please contact me directly at 714-914-4446

OP hope you get this taken care of soon. I talked to Matt and he said he is going to re-tune the car today. Let us know how it goes. Thank you.
Appreciate 4
      12-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #27
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

Today is the day. I've got my camera charged up and ready for the pics/ videos. Will report back later this afternoon with updates.
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #28
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol
Today is the day. I've got my camera charged up and ready for the pics/ videos. Will report back later this afternoon with updates.
I have sent a few emails and got some responses, from both GSR Technik and Trinity. It looks like Matt and Bobby from GSRT and Joe from Trinity are on this. We should hear more on the epoxy issue soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results today too!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #29
MG 228i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i, 340i 6MT, i3S

I don't think I would have flashed my car if I knew about the epoxy...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #30
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep

Car is strapped on the dyno as we speak
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #31
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I'm sure we're all interested in results.
      12-08-2015, 12:41 AM   #32
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep

Hey guys... reporting back after the dyno session. After testing out different files it looks like GSR was able to go from the previously stated 231hp 288 tq up to 265hp and 314 tq. The car is running 91 octane fuel. I didn't really get a chance to drive the car aggressively as there was a lot of traffic on my way back home.

Matt and Bobby stated that based off the tune my car is currently running... I should be putting down more hp and tq than what I did today. I'll be double checking all of the vacuum lines, chargepipe and intercooler for any air leaks in the next few days.

The speed limiter was removed and we were able to hit 181mph. I'm pretty sure the car could have kept going but I just wanted to confirm that the governor was removed so 181mph is more than enough.

Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 06:52 AM   #33
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
e46m3lol is this on stock turbo or on the Hexon Stage1 ?
265/314 looks rather low for Dynojet , looks fine if it was Mustang though.

Def need to get to the drag with the other GSR tuned folks and see how everyone else does over there..

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #34
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
e46m3lol is this on stock turbo or on the Hexon Stage1 ?
265/314 looks rather low for Dynojet , looks fine if it was Mustang though.

Def need to get to the drag with the other GSR tuned folks and see how everyone else does over there..

That is correct... It's on the stock turbo. I put the stock one back on and sold the hexon after I got the engine rebuilt.

I did a few pulls this morning on my way to work and the car spins on 1st 2nd and Chirps a little bit in 3rd... It did it before but now it's more noticeable. Looks like I'll be having to replace my rear tires soon. Currently running 265/30/19 hankook Ventus v12 (about 70% tread)
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #35
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol View Post
That is correct... It's on the stock turbo. I put the stock one back on and sold the hexon after I got the engine rebuilt.

I did a few pulls this morning on my way to work and the car spins on 1st 2nd and Chirps a little bit in 3rd... It did it before but now it's more noticeable. Looks like I'll be having to replace my rear tires soon. Currently running 265/30/19 hankook Ventus v12 (about 70% tread)
What happened to the 330HP ?
You could prob squeeze up to 280whp since you have DP FBO, I think if you do a dyno with 93 that would be able to say.
Although I see 1 of their DynoGraphs posted on a 228 + DP + Tune = 284/340 at the wheels

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #36
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep

I was under the impression that I would at least break 300 hp but Matt said that there is something mechanical (I'm thinking boost leak) prohibiting the car from hitting higher numbers. We even removed the air filter out of the carbon fiber air box but that still only gave us 4 more hp.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #37
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol View Post
Hey guys... reporting back after the dyno session. After testing out different files it looks like GSR was able to go from the previously stated 231hp 288 tq up to 265hp and 314 tq. The car is running 91 octane fuel. I didn't really get a chance to drive the car aggressively as there was a lot of traffic on my way back home.

Matt and Bobby stated that based off the tune my car is currently running... I should be putting down more hp and tq than what I did today. I'll be double checking all of the vacuum lines, chargepipe and intercooler for any air leaks in the next few days.

The speed limiter was removed and we were able to hit 181mph. I'm pretty sure the car could have kept going but I just wanted to confirm that the governor was removed so 181mph is more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #38
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

So e46m3lol did they say anything else about the epoxy?

How was it removed and cleaned up before the re-flash?

Do those of us that have had it flashed more than once we have anything to worry about.

Obviously anyone from GSRT and Trinity are welcome to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #39
PedM5
Rep
Drives: '02 M5

Hey Guys,

Matt from GSR Technik here. I haven't been able to log in to the forum with our company account I'm not sure why but I wanted to make sure now that we have re-tuned the OP's car we address some of the concerns brought up.

My main concern before posting in this thread was that we make the customer happy, he's a great member of the community and is a talented wrapper/detailer, he even wrapped our shop C63S. There was some miscommunication between the two parties involved stemming from scheduling conflicts (SEMA, car shows, etc.). I was attending SEMA at the same time as the OP and brought all my tools to flash the car there but that proved to be more difficult than you'd expect. Anyway, communication issues aside, we were trying a custom file for his car that includes the ability to run an E85 mix without any additional hardware modifications.

This type of development takes time and lots of revisions to perfect and though the OP was happy to partake, our schedules didn't line up to finish development. This coupled with the fact that the OP had previously blown his engine running an upgraded turbo, I programmed in a mild tune until we got some dyno time and a couple of jugs of E85 to properly test and tune the E85 map. The map he was running was never intended to be the file he runs for the rest of his ownership of the car. I'm not sure if that was properly conveyed or not, I initially wasn't the point of contact for the OP, we didn't start talking directly until I was made aware of this post.

I of course didn't want any prying eyes on my new development pet project so that is the reason for the epoxy, it would no doubt teach a lot of other tuners a thing or two and I spend a lot of time trying to develop new exciting things to provide the community. This is time I invest outside of normal work hours, while game of thrones is playing in the background I'm typing in German automotive gibberish into google translate to make use of my damos files and give you guys a driving experience that other tuners can't provide because they're copying and pasting files from Europe. Every time I look up at the TV there has been 3 deaths of characters on game of thrones I'm unaware of so I have to keep re-playing the episodes over and over.

Given the fact that another tuner did try and take a look and play the white knight card I'm glad the epoxy scared him off. For your peace of mind, the car was flashed several times on Monday and the ECU re-sealed using factory sealant so it would pass a visual inspection by the dealership. If the OP wants to go back to stock or try another tuner as is his prerogative, he can come in or send in the ECU for us to give the next tuner access to the boot pin free of charge. I've been tuning for a while now and I'm one of the only guys in the game who develops his own IP. I had to learn the hard way because when I first started I learned even the larger well known companies are just stealing/sharing files and that even those files did mostly nothing. The dumbest thing you can do as a tuner is blindly program in someone else's work, especially when you consider the file they're using is developed in Europe on a fuel quality that we just cant get here, you can hide poor tuning and get away with a lot more with premium quality fuels. The scary thing is most of the industry works that way.

I've attached a few dynos from yesterday's session and will explain what each means. The first thing I want to note is that the file that was in the car albeit mild, still made power over stock. The reason it did not wow anyone is that dynojet's are inertia based dynos and do not apply load, so if you are in too low of a gear where the RPM sweep happens too quickly the car doesn't have the requisite load to spool up the turbo. With the same file it came in with, the car made over 300wtq by selecting the next gear up. Having so many gears in an auto car probably confuses a lot of dyno operators, I don't think a domestic car shop (where the OP dyno'd indepenedently) would be aware there's so many gears in a 4cyl. The power did fall off up top and this might explain the sputtering sensation he was feeling on the road. Some vanos adjustments in his revised file helped alleviate that. This also might be exacerbated by a hardware issue but we did not have any time to try to troubleshoot hardware.

There are two graphs showing tuned power vs stock with different correction factors applied for his car, the logs I made during the dyno testing showed throttle staying open, boost levels normal and ignition timing being right where it should be for 91; However, no matter how much I pushed past the exhibited power levels there was relatively no net power gain over the 300tq mark. This is not what we normally see with the N20 motor which is curious, once we put the stock file in and saw the power it made stock it also seemed under-powered. These clues are pointing to something else going on hardware wise (like a boost leak). I informed the OP that should he find any leaks regardless of what it is that he should not floor it at all until he comes back in for us to dyno and make sure power level is safe. Putting in a mild file may have saved him from replacing another piston in this case. This is my livelihood and hobby and I want to ensure every customer is happy whether they're current past or future customers. For the times where we can't make someone happy with a tune I always try to do the right thing and offer them the option to go back to stock and refund them. There's a lot of variables involved with engine tuning and when you mix and match lots of hardware parts there can always be an unknown variable that may cause an issue so keep that in mind and let your tuner know as many specifics as you can so they can help bring the best out of your vehicle.

I hope that clears up a lot of the questions and concerns, I'm always available by email if you have any questions.

Matt@gsrtechnik.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
      12-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #40
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, Matt, for clarifying all of this. Hopefully it puts members at ease as to the reasoning behind the epoxy on his car .
      12-14-2015, 10:10 PM   #41
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Maybe It's Just Me

Personally, no amount of power gain or whatever explanations for the epoxy can restore my faith with this particular tuner/vendor.

Unless the use of epoxy was disclosed to and agreed by the buyer, then I find that to be rather self-serving and unethical behavior.

It also makes me wonder what else could be in the software that I would find concerning yet not visible to me. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 11:08 PM   #42
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
Personally, no amount of power gain or whatever explanations for the epoxy can restore my faith with this particular tuner/vendor.

Unless the use of epoxy was disclosed to and agreed by the buyer, then I find that to be rather self-serving and unethical behavior.

It also makes me wonder what else could be in the software that I would find concerning yet not visible to me. Just my 2 cents.

+1 This...^^

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #43
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post

Matt has been an open book on much of what goes on in his tune more than any vendor here, including JB. I don't see this type of transparency with Enzo. Matt stated that this tune was EXPERIMENTAL and wasn't the final tune. I wouldn't compare this incident to something like VW's worldwide fug up. Seems like Matt made E good and appeared to find a mechanical issue with his car that might have gone unnoticed until something broke later. If the epoxy wasn't disclosed, I'd agree it should have been brought up, but it was done due the experimental nature of the program and not done as a SOP with their tunes..........
      12-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #44
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Matt has been an open book on much of what goes on in his tune more than any vendor here, including JB. I don't see this type of transparency with Enzo. Matt stated that this tune was EXPERIMENTAL and wasn't the final tune. I wouldn't compare this incident to something like VW's worldwide fug up. Seems like Matt made E good and appeared to find a mechanical issue with his car that might have gone unnoticed until something broke later. If the epoxy wasn't disclosed, I'd agree it should have been brought up, but it was done due the experimental nature of the program and not done as a SOP with their tunes..........
Personally I have no horse in the race. I am not a customer/user/fan/supporter of any particular tuner. Though I do expect to get a piggyback at some point.

The epoxy and physical damage to the ECU if not clearly conveyed and agreed to by the customer is a significant breach of trust. I will not trust that vendor again ever!
Appreciate 0