THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Winter is coming

08-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Winter is coming

My original RFTs are getting thin and winter is coming. It's a DD so I'll be staying with 17" wheels. I have two selections to make.

Tires - All season tires worked ok the last two winters but I want to get a little more grip this year. Snow is only a factor about 20 days/year for me so serious snow tires are too much. Looking at the Sottozero 3, Blizzak LM 60, Dunlap SP Winter Sport 40. Any preferences?

Wheels - Considering a second set of wheels and would like to stay with what came on the car (2017 - 230i) Best place to get these?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Are you looking to get dedicated rims for snow and for the other seasons?

Are you looking to stick to 17 for each set (a wise choice)?

For winter I've had good success with the dunlops. But that was where you really drive in snow, and very little plowed roads. (blizzak's are supposed to be even better - and I've driven lots of those on FWD and AWD cars and didn't see any performance improvement just different feel behind the wheel). I don't have personal experience - but the michelin x-ice are supposed to be very good in snowy climates where you drive on mostly plowed / cleared surfaces.

As for the rest of the year - the temp is more important than the grip. So if only a single month of the year has lows warmer than 70 degrees you should avoid summer tires altogether and stick to a performance oriented all season.

Seth
Appreciate 0