THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning GSR Technik stage 2 FBO 228i review

12-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #45
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
Personally I have no horse in the race. I am not a customer/user/fan/supporter of any particular tuner. Though I do expect to get a piggyback at some point.

The epoxy and physical damage to the ECU if not clearly conveyed and agreed to by the customer is a significant breach of trust. I will not trust that vendor again ever!
Who said anything about damage to the ECU?

The tuner stated the epoxy was removed and the ECU was re-flashed with no issues.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #46
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Who said anything about damage to the ECU?

The tuner stated the epoxy was removed and the ECU was re-flashed with no issues.
The epoxy on the ECU itself is damage.

If the epoxy can be removed, then why bother using epoxy in the first place?

How easy was it to remove the epoxy? Who would be responsible if the removal process caused damage and bricked the ECU?

More importantly why leave a physical trace for the dealer to deny warranty?

Once again, all for self-serving reasons.

Also, was the removal of epoxy necessary to reflash the ECU? If so, that was a lot of confidence on the tuner's part, for a product developed with googling German gibberish as part of the production process.

Buyer beware, and vote with your wallet.

BTW I wholeheartedly agree that a ECU tune is the superior and more technically sound solution. But cannot help feeling that a piggyback is actually less headache sometimes.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      12-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #47
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
The epoxy on the ECU itself is damage.

If the epoxy can be removed, then why bother using epoxy in the first place?

How easy was it to remove the epoxy? Who would be responsible if the removal process caused damage and bricked the ECU?

More importantly why leave a physical trace for the dealer to deny warranty?

Once again, all for self-serving reasons.

Also, was the removal of epoxy necessary to reflash the ECU? If so, that was a lot of confidence on the tuner's part, for a product developed with googling German gibberish as part of the production process.

Buyer beware, and vote with your wallet.

BTW I wholeheartedly agree that a ECU tune is the superior and more technically sound solution. But cannot help feeling that a piggyback is actually less headache sometimes.
Companies patent their work so others can't steal them or at least have a legal recourse. In the tune world, this probably isn't the easiest way to go so the epoxy process is a stopgap measure to cause 'pause' if someone with nefarious intentions is thinking about it.Yes, totally self serving in this instance. I don't blame him other than if not disclosed. You've stated you have 'no horse in this race'. Fine. Don't get a tune from GSR. Matt has always backed GSR work with a reflash to stock, a refund, a $200 (or so) card for the trouble, etc. I haven't seen ANY vendor offer what he/they do. Give the guy a break already. You've bitched about it more than E did.
      12-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #48
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Speaking from someone who actually has their tune, I can say they have been great to work with. Matt and Bobby answered about 1000 of my questions. Day or late at night in fact. They were completely upfront to me about everything they were going to do. Every time I went in there I felt good because everyone was really knowledgable and friendly. I respect the team for doing what they did. I understand some of the other tuners known to this community have been stealing hard work. Shameful.
Also I don't see a problem with using google as a tool in this instance. It's the internet. Theres unlimited resources there. And a free instant German to English translator! It's not like he's trying to get his PHD. The GSR/Trinity team has learned it the hard way, like Dinan did when first starting out. Poking around the computer one line at a time to figure out what each thing does. There's no manual for this.
After putting in so much time and then finding out someone stole my work. I'd be pissed.

I've had the stage 1 tune for a few months now. I love it. I've had the piggybacks. I will never look back. I honestly would never consider the piggyback again. And I feel strongly that everyone who has done the same, has come to the same conclusion. It's really nice to know my tune came from the source instead of copy and paste.
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #49
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

@2msport did you do a before and after dyno? If so what numbers are you running?
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #50
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol View Post
@2msport did you do a before and after dyno? If so what numbers are you running?
Why your car is only doing 260whp ?

Look at this below
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156934

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
      12-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #51
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Think they're is a mechanical/boost issue on E's car, Rob,..
      12-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #52
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol View Post
Hey sorry for the late response, been really busy. Unfortunately I haven't done a dyno yet.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #53
BK MOTORSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, 235i, Vw GTI, Mini

Interesting read...
Appreciate 0