THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bimmertech - Amp, Speaker Review

04-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Bimmertech - Amp, Speaker Review

I wanted to share my recent experience with purchasing the Alpha One speakers, subs, and amp through Bimmertech. I installed all of these in my 2016 M235i xDrive which had the HK setup.

Purchased items:
Alpha One Speakers and Subs (complete replacement set)
Bimmertech Premium Audio System (aka Match PP86DSP)
I already had the ASD removal harness but this is required or you can code it out

Ordering Process:
The online ordering process was very easy.* The website is setup in a way that is fool proof. Input your VIN, it tells you the components what will work with your system.* I had a few small questions but I used the chat functionality and someone at Bimmertech was able to quickly answer my questions.

Packaging:
The speakers all came in really nice packaging.* Very nicely done.* The amp packaging was "ok".* There is a metal tab that sticks up quite a bit on the mounting bracket - the amp was properly secured and packing material around it so it was ok. I provided feedback to Bimmertech to use a bigger box or custom packaging for the amp if possible to make it look proper.

Installation:
The speaker installation was a bit challenging at times.* The*instructions*on the Bimmertech website were for other BMW models and some of the steps did not match 100% so I had to dig around forums and Youtube videos to figure things out (removing panels, trim, etc).* It would have been nice to see a videos made specifically for the 2 series but I understand that would require a lot of videos and cars. Once I got through the first couple of speakers, the rest went in pretty easily.

Note - The blue speaker connections to the existing HK speakers are ridiculously difficult*to remove without damaging them.* I broke a few of the the tweeter connections for sure.* I don't blame Bimmertech for this but the install videos I watched make it look super easy and it's not.* I have seen others complain on forums about this as well, but this is BMW’s/HK’s design, not yours.* I'm just providing feedback overall on the DIY process.

Amp installation was similar to speakers in terms of no direct video for the F22 BMW but I managed*through it.* A small snafu - I was shipped a small USB cable for tuning the amp but the cable shipped was the wrong cable.* The cable should have been a left angle cable to go across the amp versus a right angle cable which didn't fit at all.* Again, Bimmertech support was very good.* They ended up giving me a $5 credit for the cable I had to purchase on Amazon. I recommended to Bimmertech to provide a 10’ USB left angled cable so you can sit in the driver’s seat with a laptop for optimal tuning.

Tuning:
Tuning is the #1 area that needs to be right on otherwise the whole system sounds horrible and you’ll be disappointed. That said, I think this was also the biggest challenge for me. I tried at least 10 tune files, the one Bimmertech provided and trying some from Bimmerpost forum members but not one of them sounded good to me.* The system was missing frequencies especially the low end.* I tried tuning the DSP myself but in my opinion, the tuning software isn't very easy to use and I couldn’t find any local audio shops who knew the software. I finally reached out to Bimmertech support for assistance.

I worked closely with Maciej @ Bimmertech over the last month or so on providing a tune that I was satisfied with. Since tunes are subjective based on your listening and type of music, I let Maciej know that I like rock/metal music and provided him a EQ I was used to using in previous cars (simple eq band curve, nothing crazy). Bimmertech didn’t have a 2 series with the HK system so Maciej had to improvise a bit but was able to get a tune that he was happy with. I loaded it up and Bam!, everything sounded like it should. Great sound stage, crystal clear, and with the low end I was expecting to hear.

Quality:
From what I can tell, the speakers and amp are made with high quality and standards.**I did have a bad mid-range speaker DOA which I worked with Bimmertech support to resolve very quickly.* This was a very good customer service experience.* No hassles, they just shipped me a new speaker and that was it. No returns or RMAs.

Customer Support:
I want to specifically point out how easy and professional Maciej, Patryk and the whole team at Bimmertech were during this process. They were patient the entire time, explaining in detail the inner workings of the audio system. I felt we were partners working together, not customer/vendor. Kudos!
In general, the customer service I received was 100% top notch along the way.* Everyone at Bimmertech should be very proud of this.

Closing Remarks:
I previously had a local shop install most of my car audio systems since it does require certain know-how and you need to be comfortable ripping your car apart to some degree. I opted with the drop in system this time as the DIY appealed to me and I saved a bunch of money without compromising quality. After getting the tune right, I know I made the right decision and I am 100% satisfied with the purchase and support received from Bimmertech. If you’re looking to dramatically improve the sound in your BMW, definitely check Bimmertech out. If you have any questions, I’d be happy to help.
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Great write up but you are missing the most important part, the sound comparison. What do you think?

Sold: 19 x3 30i X drive, 18 230i X drive Convertible
18 x3, 30i X drive 16 428i Convertible, 16 X1 X drive, 14 i3 Rex, 14 328i, 14 x1 28i X drive, 08 328i, 03 M5, 99 323i Convertible, 00 z3 M Roadster, 99 328i, 00 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Great write up but you are missing the most important part, the sound comparison. What do you think?
I previously had Audison speakers and amps in my 1 series and loved it. I would say the Bimmertech setup is on par with that sound. It's worlds better than the HK speakers and amps. The HK setup is horrible IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Bavsound install video is very good, no difference between installing those vs Bimmertech. If Bimmertech instructions lacking I'd check there as a backup plan.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Bavsound install video is very good, no difference between installing those vs Bimmertech. If Bimmertech instructions lacking I'd check there as a backup plan.
Good point. I heard good things about Bavsound as well.

I actually fed a lot of my feedback directly to Bimmertech Support and they seem very eager to improve in areas I mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej@BimmerTech View Post
Wow, thank you for the review kegobass! It was a pleasure to work with you on figuring out the F22/87 674 spec'd quirks that we initially encountered.

A recommendation I'd like to offer to anyone doing an ASD bypass/delete - always go for the harness delete - that way the module is completely out of the picture and has no further influence on the audio signal.

Coding it out works for removing the added "engine" sound but the module is still in the signal chain and it surely isn't bringing anything good to the table when going for audio quality.
One thing I would add - and maybe even consider including in your kit as an optional $20-ish extra - while you're swapping the stock amp always run a remote on / off cable and signal cable into the storage area in the trunk. Wherever you route the usb for tuning run those too.

If / when it's time to add an in trunk sub there's no need to tear the rear of the car apart again.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobass View Post
I previously had Audison speakers and amps in my 1 series and loved it. I would say the Bimmertech setup is on par with that sound. It's worlds better than the HK speakers and amps. The HK setup is horrible IMHO.
Which Audison speakers?

The BMW kit or the components?

I was wondering if the Prima AP4 would fit in the F22 door.
They are 41mm from the back of the ring to the back of the magnet. 43mm from the face to the back of the magnet.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
Which Audison speakers?

The BMW kit or the components?

I was wondering if the Prima AP4 would fit in the F22 door.
They are 41mm from the back of the ring to the back of the magnet. 43mm from the face to the back of the magnet.

Seth
In the 1 series, I had the Audison Voce components. Man, I miss that system. I still have them waiting for my next car that I can put it in.

I initially looked at the drop in systems from Audison (using the sound pack configurator on their site). It required more work than Bimmertech and was more money so I didn't pursue it.

Either way, for the F22, the configurator is showing APBMW K4E and APBMW K4M components for speakers. Regarding the AP4 ...they look to be the same size 4" (100mm). Here's a link to the spec sheet: https://www.audison.eu/products/apbmw-k4e/

If that doesn't help, you may need to call a dealer to be 100% sure on fitment. Note - Audison only works with dealers and will not help you at all unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Thanks

I’m familiar with the drop in models but they come with crossovers and I’m looking for a setup that doesn’t. Price wise it’s a bit of a wash. Technically cheaper for the components but you need a tiny harness and bracket to convert the 4 hole mount to 3. As you say the installers problem

Still the basket design in the drop in models is completely different and that’s my real concern. It’s 50mm from face of speaker to back on the drop in so larger - but actually only 29mm from the mount. So with 41mm of depth of the component I have about 9mm of depth to clear with a spacer.

I’m looking forward to setting mine up - will probably be later in the summer.

Seth
Appreciate 0