THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes The brake pad thread

03-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #221
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: x3 m40

screeching with non oem pads are usually caused by not using "Brake Anti-Squeal Paste" with the new pads. Ive done it 3x times, and they were noisy each time.
      03-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #222
MikeG12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228 MSport and 2017 X1

Yes, I've done many brake jobs. I used the brake grease that came with the Hawk pads. I drove it a little today and did some fast stops. Much less noise, so I hope it will go away. The noise I'm getting now goes away when I press on the brake, so hopefully it will go away once broken in. Haven't driven the car that much but the Hawk pads seem to work very well and I don't see any dust compared to OEM BMW pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 10:02 PM   #223
kthor703
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG12 View Post
Yes, I've done many brake jobs. I used the brake grease that came with the Hawk pads. I drove it a little today and did some fast stops. Much less noise, so I hope it will go away. The noise I'm getting now goes away when I press on the brake, so hopefully it will go away once broken in. Haven't driven the car that much but the Hawk pads seem to work very well and I don't see any dust compared to OEM BMW pads.
Is the noise you are getting cyclic and increasing with speed? Sometimes the pads don't 100% retract from the brake rotor and make a light contact. With an upgraded and more performance oriented pad, you can get some light scratching noise as the rotor turns. It could also be the E brake concern you mentioned. My G loc pads on another vehicle do a similar thing. And the noise goes away when I start to apply the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #224
MikeG12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228 MSport and 2017 X1

Noise is almost gone after 100 miles+ driving. I might put it on the lift this weekend and take a closer look if it persists.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #225
MarcoZandrini
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I'm here to..

.....praise PF-08 pads. Yeah, they are noisy unless stone cold or hot, and they are dusty. But do they stop! I spent March 30/31 at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) with the Tarheel Chapter of the BMWCCA. My instructor, Randy Perry, had me hitting (an I mean SLAMMING) the brakes at marker 2 at turn 13! (Here's the track layout: http://virnow.com/wp-content/uploads...rse_2018km.jpg) These pads on the factory rotors NEVER faded, NEVER failed! I was able to out-brake every other car, including a couple of vettes, in my class. The pulsing/juddering noted earlier in the thread is gone. I attribute that to not fully and completely bedding in the pads. Yes, the fluid was flushed prior to the weekend with Motul RBF600.

If you want track pads that are fine (if you don't mind the noise) for your DD, then PF-08 pads are your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #226
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
.....praise PF-08 pads. Yeah, they are noisy unless stone cold or hot, and they are dusty. But do they stop! I spent March 30/31 at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) with the Tarheel Chapter of the BMWCCA. My instructor, Randy Perry, had me hitting (an I mean SLAMMING) the brakes at marker 2 at turn 13! (Here's the track layout: http://virnow.com/wp-content/uploads...rse_2018km.jpg) These pads on the factory rotors NEVER faded, NEVER failed! I was able to out-brake every other car, including a couple of vettes, in my class. The pulsing/juddering noted earlier in the thread is gone. I attribute that to not fully and completely bedding in the pads. Yes, the fluid was flushed prior to the weekend with Motul RBF600.

If you want track pads that are fine (if you don't mind the noise) for your DD, then PF-08 pads are your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #227
ggggbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 RWD

pad swap - same location or rotate?

Last year I swapped in street+/light-track pads for the summer, and went back to the OEM pads for the winter. I took pains to mark the pads so they went back in the exact same location.

This year I'll be doing full track pads for track weekends, street+ pads for the rest of the summer, and back to OEM in the fall with the winter tires. Lots of pad swapping.

The question is, as I do all of this pad swapping, should I be concerned about putting the pads back in the same spot? Should the Left Outer always be the Left Outer? Or, should the pads be rotated around like tires? Inside to outside, left to right, some other way? Or does it just not matter at all?

My initial thought is that the pads might take a set to the brake rotor, matching any grooving in the disc. But my rotors are generally smooth, and the pads all look identical when I pull them out. I'm starting to think keeping them in the same spot is just OCD.

This also assumes that there is no significant vertical or horizontal taper in the pads, no significant grooving, and the wear is generally even across an axle set.

So, same spot? Conscious rotation? Or just shuffle them around randomly?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #228
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
Last year I swapped in street+/light-track pads for the summer, and went back to the OEM pads for the winter. I took pains to mark the pads so they went back in the exact same location.

This year I'll be doing full track pads for track weekends, street+ pads for the rest of the summer, and back to OEM in the fall with the winter tires. Lots of pad swapping.

The question is, as I do all of this pad swapping, should I be concerned about putting the pads back in the same spot? Should the Left Outer always be the Left Outer? Or, should the pads be rotated around like tires? Inside to outside, left to right, some other way? Or does it just not matter at all?

My initial thought is that the pads might take a set to the brake rotor, matching any grooving in the disc. But my rotors are generally smooth, and the pads all look identical when I pull them out. I'm starting to think keeping them in the same spot is just OCD.

This also assumes that there is no significant vertical or horizontal taper in the pads, no significant grooving, and the wear is generally even across an axle set.

So, same spot? Conscious rotation? Or just shuffle them around randomly?
No, you don't have to get the pads back in the same spot. However, you will need to bed-in each time you swap between street and track pads.
Appreciate 0