THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Macan S vs M240i?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-18-2020, 12:05 AM   #1
Edslittleworld
Private
Edslittleworld's Avatar
11
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Tucson, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Macan S vs M240i?

I know this sounds like an apple to orange comparison, but I am curious how the Macan S (or GTS) compares to the M240i with regard to driving characteristics and such. I may be searching for a unicorn, but it would be great to own a "do everything" vehicle. I value performance, luxury and light utility (hauling bicycles, people & towing small trailers). None of my current vehicles do much more than one of these at any time. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:20 AM   #2
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
127
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
I know this sounds like an apple to orange comparison, but I am curious how the Macan S (or GTS) compares to the M240i with regard to driving characteristics and such. I may be searching for a unicorn, but it would be great to own a "do everything" vehicle. I value performance, luxury and light utility (hauling bicycles, people & towing small trailers). None of my current vehicles do much more than one of these at any time. Any thoughts?
Definitely take one for a test drive. Yes it is an SUV, but Porsche managed to instill a lot of their DNA in it to overcome the not so great handling that SUVs are known for. I don't ever plan to ever own an SUV again in my life, but if I was forced to pick one, the Macan S would be the one I'd get. Reviews say the GTS isn't as big of a step up from the S, so unless you can find a screaming deal, I'd just get the S.
Appreciate 1
jstein556790.00

      10-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
NewWorldOrder
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Portland, Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
I know this sounds like an apple to orange comparison, but I am curious how the Macan S (or GTS) compares to the M240i with regard to driving characteristics and such. I may be searching for a unicorn, but it would be great to own a "do everything" vehicle. I value performance, luxury and light utility (hauling bicycles, people & towing small trailers). None of my current vehicles do much more than one of these at any time. Any thoughts?
There's a lot to be loved about the performance of the m240i, but it's really not the most practical car.

The interior isn't really all that luxurious from the factory. I'd even go as far as to say my Mazda CX-5 has a nicer interior. That being said, there is a pretty good aftermarket to make the interior feel more luxurious. It's just going to cost you a few grand to get there. The sound system is pretty bad, regardless if you go with the HK or not.

Hauling people around isn't the best, and it's pretty cramped for anyone sitting in the back. I'm 6' 2" and I doubt I could fit even a small child behind me. Great car for two, not so much for a family imo.

Space in the trunk is actually pretty reasonable if you opt for the coupe.

I haven't personally towed anything with the car, so I can't really comment on that part of your question.

You really are comparing apples to oranges here, and the ideal situation would be an m240i paired with a cheap awd suv(rav4) for those days you need to haul things.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1941
Rep
4,890
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

This is a bad post but I’ll write it anyway

Friend bought two year old Macan gts.
Very good high speed highway performance.

Poor steering, not that roomy, cabin switches old design.

Overall, it’s an Audi and a grocery car for mom’s. That’s what the Porsche sales guy said (serious but joking).

My friend likes the Macan but it isn’t the vehicle that ended his search for a great commuter car.

Last edited by ScottSinger; 10-18-2020 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
BEM-S4's Avatar
United_States
4184
Rep
8,675
Posts

Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (3)

If you want one car that will do everything extremely well you want a Panamera Turismo or if you need more room an RS6 Avant. If too $$$ the Macan S is a decent option. We had one, really liked it. If it's too small for your needs that's a different problem.
__________________
2016 F23 M235 xDrive Convertible Dinan Stage 2 AA IC Apex EC-7 MPE
2016 F31 328 xDrive Sport Wagon Dinan Stage 1 Vorsteiner V-FF 105 BBK 34 Hours 35 Minutes NY to LA
2006 E46 330ci ZHP Convertible Apex ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
wdc330i
Private First Class
48
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i CV (EBII/Black)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

I am going through this exact situation. I am recently divorced and lost access to the practical car (an X5 50i with DHP) and the even more fun car (718s Boxster). My car is a 2017 240i convertible with the M Performance LSD.

I've driven the X3M, the X3 M40i, the X3 30e, and the Macan S. Reaching for the Macan means ditching the 2 for sure. The 30e might allow keeping both, but I don't relish dealing with and insuring two cars.

The Macan S has beautiful fit and finish, and I really like the look. The size and capacity are just fine for my needs (hauling around a teen and two large dogs.)

Performance was fine.

BUT, there's just no getting over that it's an SUV. And they are simply not as much fun to drive as smaller, nimbler, RWD cars like the 2.

Possibly, I would have been more enamored with it if it had had PTV and PASM. My test car did not. I doubt it, though.

I think the sad reality is you just can't expect the fun car and the practical car to coexist in one unit. And so I'm back to thinking about the two-car cheaper solution.

Next on my agenda is driving the Mazda CX5. That scenario does allow me to keep my 2 and possibly replace it eventually with something even more fun. (New M4 convertible with softop? 6-cylinder 718s?)

A couple of other suggestions of vehicles to test drive:

When BMW gets the kinks out of the plug-in X3 (there is now a battery recall that has no fix), it's a very solid option. It was fun to drive (more so than the Macan, really), and I love the idea of being able to do small errand trips solely on battery power, yet have the ICE for longer vacation hauls. There is currently a great tax incentive on them ($5,600 or so).

The X3M did absolutely nothing for me. Why bother? Buy a real M thing. The X3 M40i is excellent all-arounder, but it gets pretty pricey. For some reason, I just can't get excited about it being my only car.

The last suggestion, if you can tolerate the shoddy assembly and giving up on the ease and convenience of ICEs is the Tesla Model Y. It is very Macan like in size and practicality, and it is FUN to drive. Driving it will haunt you. It is so different. But, it feels sporty, composed, and very Germanic in its handling. The ready power is intoxicating. And you don't need the performance model to access all of that. It is much cheaper than the Macan.

Oh, another, last suggestion, which I've been toying with: Wait for the next M3 in AWD. Skip the carbon roof and get roof rails and a rooftop box. Possibly an aftermarket hitch as well.

Edit: Just saw about towing. The Porsche has the best towing specs. The Y has a hitch option, and the X3 models as well.)
__________________
2017 M240i Convertible (EBII/Black; M Performance LSD) Previous: 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.

Last edited by wdc330i; 10-18-2020 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
1653
Rep
2,093
Posts

Drives: 2016 228iX
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Track-prepped Miata (or a Cayman), towed by an F-150?
Appreciate 1
msendit180.00

      10-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
nawfoo
Second Lieutenant
nawfoo's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport 6 MT
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

I like the Macan S. How about a X3 M40i?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
TonM3
Private First Class
67
Rep
193
Posts

Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Bethesda, MD

iTrader: (0)

the ideal would be "and" and not "or"
__________________
E46 -> E90 -> F30 -> F23
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #10
swc5150
New Member
14
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: '16 M235i xDrive & '16 X3
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: WI

iTrader: (0)

My brother just bought a new Macan S, and it's really nice of course. Drives like a small SUV, not that it's a bad thing, it's just nothing like the m240 as far as being a nimble little car. If you can only own 1 car and need the space, it may be a great choice, but it's still pretty tiny inside. I'd definitely test out an X3 M40i before making a final decision.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:37 PM   #11
NewWorldOrder
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Portland, Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I am going through this exact situation. I am recently divorced and lost access to the practical car (an X5 50i with DHP) and the even more fun car (718s Boxster). My car is a 2017 240i convertible with the M Performance LSD.

I've driven the X3M, the X3 M40i, the X3 30e, and the Macan S. Reaching for the Macan means ditching the 2 for sure. The 30e might allow keeping both, but I don't relish dealing with and insuring two cars.

The Macan S has beautiful fit and finish, and I really like the look. The size and capacity are just fine for my needs (hauling around a teen and two large dogs.)

Performance was fine.

BUT, there's just no getting over that it's an SUV. And they are simply not as much fun to drive as smaller, nimbler, RWD cars like the 2.

Possibly, I would have been more enamored with it if it had had PTV and PASM. My test car did not. I doubt it, though.

I think the sad reality is you just can't expect the fun car and the practical car to coexist in one unit. And so I'm back to thinking about the two-car cheaper solution.

Next on my agenda is driving the Mazda CX5. That scenario does allow me to keep my 2 and possibly replace it eventually with something even more fun. (New M4 convertible with softop? 6-cylinder 718s?)

A couple of other suggestions of vehicles to test drive:

When BMW gets the kinks out of the plug-in X3 (there is now a battery recall that has no fix), it's a very solid option. It was fun to drive (more so than the Macan, really), and I love the idea of being able to do small errand trips solely on battery power, yet have the ICE for longer vacation hauls. There is currently a great tax incentive on them ($5,600 or so).

The X3M did absolutely nothing for me. Why bother? Buy a real M thing. The X3 M40i is excellent all-arounder, but it gets pretty pricey. For some reason, I just can't get excited about it being my only car.

The last suggestion, if you can tolerate the shoddy assembly and giving up on the ease and convenience of ICEs is the Tesla Model Y. It is very Macan like in size and practicality, and it is FUN to drive. Driving it will haunt you. It is so different. But, it feels sporty, composed, and very Germanic in its handling. The ready power is intoxicating. And you don't need the performance model to access all of that. It is much cheaper than the Macan.

Oh, another, last suggestion, which I've been toying with: Wait for the next M3 in AWD. Skip the carbon roof and get roof rails and a rooftop box. Possibly an aftermarket hitch as well.

Edit: Just saw about towing. The Porsche has the best towing specs. The Y has a hitch option, and the X3 models as well.)
I'm just going to forewarn you about the CX-5. Ive had to have a fuel pump replaced 3 times before 60k miles. Highly recommend going with a rav4 instead.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #12
wdc330i
Private First Class
48
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i CV (EBII/Black)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I'm just going to forewarn you about the CX-5. Ive had to have a fuel pump replaced 3 times before 60k miles. Highly recommend going with a rav4 instead.
Wow. Hadn't heard of issues with that model. Thanks for the heads-up. What year is yours?
__________________
2017 M240i Convertible (EBII/Black; M Performance LSD) Previous: 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #13
NewWorldOrder
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Portland, Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I'm just going to forewarn you about the CX-5. Ive had to have a fuel pump replaced 3 times before 60k miles. Highly recommend going with a rav4 instead.
Wow. Hadn't heard of issues with that model. Thanks for the heads-up. What year is yours?
2017 gt awd.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:09 PM   #14
morphomeman
Captain
morphomeman's Avatar
339
Rep
874
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235ix
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
One is an SUV, the other a small coupe. There is a big difference in ride height which nothing can overcome. So, if you don't mind sitting on top of the world, then the Macan is fine. Me, not so much. I like it down on the ground. Or buy both. There is no way to split the baby on this one.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST