THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Video: Sonoma

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-31-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
msendit
Private First Class
msendit's Avatar
180
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: M240i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Video: Sonoma

Wait, we don't have a thread for Sonoma videos? Ok, I'll start one.

Only the second time I've taken the M240 to the track in the last 6 months, forgotten how much I missed it And first time in a trailer (it fits!)



Appreciate 4
dradernh1002.50
Dylan861264.50

      08-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
dradernh
Lieutenant Colonel
dradernh's Avatar
1003
Rep
1,873
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Nice! The consistency of your line and smoothness with the controls makes for an enjoyable viewing experience. This quality of driving should enable someone new to the track to be confident in their car placement during their initial sessions.

The fact that videos are poor representations of what it's like in the car along with the throttle application data makes it look like you're conservative during the transition to full throttle. Whether that's true or not, I know that's not what it feels like.

Couple of questions: I've lost track – what tires are you running now; and, your seating distance from the steering wheel makes it look like you'd have better control if you sat closer – have you tried that and found it unsatisfactory or do you have concerns about the airbag going off with you right in front of it?

I'll be the first to admit that I like sitting right up on the wheel, air bags be damned*. My elbows are bent at pretty much a 90 angle when I'm holding the wheel at 9 & 3. It's not the safest, I know, as my knees are within an inch of the bottom of the dash. The position did help me save a tank-slapper once, so it "paid" for itself in that regard. I use this seating position on the street.

Was this your trailer's first outing? Isn't it nice having one?

* A neighbor told me that he was t-boned at the driver's door on the street the other day. His left-side airbags went off, and they did a number on his head (left ear still ringing along with intermittent headaches) and on the skin of his torso.
__________________
2017 M240i: MT, Sunroof Delete, EB, Leather, Driving Assistance Package, Heated Front Seats
TC Kline Coilover Kit; Wavetrac; Al Subframe Bushings; EDC/eLSD Delete; Coated 60mm Studs; Dinan V2 Piggyback & CAI; Rogue SSK; Orange MPerf BBK; Blue Schroth Quick Fit Pro
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
msendit
Private First Class
msendit's Avatar
180
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: M240i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Nice! The consistency of your line and smoothness with the controls makes for an enjoyable viewing experience. This quality of driving should enable someone new to the track to be confident in their car placement during their initial sessions.
Thanks! (blush) It was nice getting back in a car I'm comfortable in and focusing on smoothness, compared to the last several months of struggling with three-pedal monstrosities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
The fact that videos are poor representations of what it's like in the car along with the throttle application data makes it look like you're conservative during the transition to full throttle. Whether that's true or not, I know that's not what it feels like.
100% true, being more aggressive on the throttle is something I'm trying to work on. The instant torque rewards some smoothness (I have the spins to prove it), but I generally err being too gentle there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I've lost track what tires are you running now;
275/35/18 Re71r on 10" rims. This was also my first time trying some fancy MCS shocks and very aggressive springs (650 ft lb F, 800 ft lb R). Never thought I'd say it given the weight, but the car feels very much like a go kart now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
and, your seating distance from the steering wheel makes it look like you'd have better control if you sat closer have you tried that and found it unsatisfactory or do you have concerns about the airbag going off with you right in front of it?

I'll be the first to admit that I like sitting right up on the wheel, air bags be damned*. My elbows are bent at pretty much a 90 angle when I'm holding the wheel at 9 & 3. It's not the safest, I know, as my knees are within an inch of the bottom of the dash. The position did help me save a tank-slapper once, so it "paid" for itself in that regard. I use this seating position on the street.
To be honest, haven't thought too much about it, definitely not concerns about the airbag. I can probably pull the wheel closer to me, but then I stop being able to see the bottom of the instrument cluster. Short people problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Was this your trailer's first outing? Isn't it nice having one?
Not the first time, I hauled my friend's car a few times when I first got it, and now my "proper" racecar a few more before this weekend. (And it's more than nice!) First time with the F22 though, which is both wider/taller and 1000 lbs heavier than I anything I'd towed in it. There was a lot of "measure 5 times, drill once" when I was making sure the F22 fits under that tire rack...
Appreciate 1
dradernh1002.50

      09-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
frankshufang
Registered
frankshufang's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW M240i
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

May I ask what software and hardware were you used for the video recording with the corresponding data shown?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:17 PM   #5
msendit
Private First Class
msendit's Avatar
180
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: M240i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankshufang View Post
May I ask what software and hardware were you used for the video recording with the corresponding data shown?
Of course. For HW, I have a GoPro for the video (hero 6) and an AiM Solo 2 DL for the data. I've described how I connected it to the CAN bus here.

For SW, RaceRender. It's ... fine -- a bit of a pain to align the data and video the first few times until you get a good workflow going, but after that pretty easy.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
SkyeC
Too many cars, not enough time
21
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 17 m240i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: 925

iTrader: (0)

Awesome! I tracked my M240i for the first time a few weeks ago and have a 10/10 and 11/28 track day, both at Thill West w/ Turn8.

I need you in the pass seat as an instructor, great line and smooth driving!
__________________
2017 ///M240i, 6 speed, slick top, Estoril Blue. Millway camber plates, 18x8.5 +45 Apex Arc8s w/ 245/35 Conti ExtremeContacts, Bootmod3 stage 1 tune, Ferodo DS2500 pads and RBF600. Next mod: driver mod
Appreciate 1
msendit180.00

      09-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
msendit
Private First Class
msendit's Avatar
180
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: M240i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeC View Post
Awesome! I tracked my M240i for the first time a few weeks ago and have a 10/10 and 11/28 track day, both at Thill West w/ Turn8.

I need you in the pass seat as an instructor, great line and smooth driving!
Nice, keep tracking it! And say hi to Rome at Turn8 from me. Happy to right-seat any time, especially at West -- it's easily my favorite track in the area. I'll definitely miss the Oct date (NASA race weekend at Sonoma), but might be able to pull off the Nov one.

Last edited by msendit; 09-15-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
K8_M235i
Lieutenant
K8_M235i's Avatar
United_States
263
Rep
441
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Boston, Ma

iTrader: (0)

Driving looked great! The gear whine is awesome. We need some updated pics of your car too!
__________________
2016 M235i
6MT, LSD, Slicktop
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #9
pikcachu
Brigadier General
pikcachu's Avatar
1031
Rep
4,806
Posts

Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

Nice... Looking good...

Seems like you are left foot braking...
It takes a while to get used to it but it saves quite a bit of time on the transitions...and the overlapping is helpful
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #10
msendit
Private First Class
msendit's Avatar
180
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: M240i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
Driving looked great! The gear whine is awesome. We need some updated pics of your car too!
Hah, thanks! Funny you should mention the diff whine -- I just spent the drive back from the track this weekend obsessing there's a new pitch to it. Might be time for new clutch packs...

And, twist my arm for more pics. I should probably update my build thread too, it's been a while -- current setup is much lighter, way stiffer springs, different dampers, lower ride height, and a different rollbar. Oh, have been testing some Nankang AR1s too -- first impressions are pretty positive, but need more time with them to make up my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Seems like you are left foot braking...
Definitely. Even on the street, I left-foot brake two-pedal cars. Makes no sense to me not to use one foot only because it's considered a "bad habit" or something...

That's actually been my biggest issue over the last few months learning to track a three-pedal car -- teaching the right foot how to brake as well. It's harder to trailbrake well when it's constantly switching between the gas and the brake.







Appreciate 2
      10-05-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
K8_M235i
Lieutenant
K8_M235i's Avatar
United_States
263
Rep
441
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Boston, Ma

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
Driving looked great! The gear whine is awesome. We need some updated pics of your car too!
Hah, thanks! Funny you should mention the diff whine -- I just spent the drive back from the track this weekend obsessing there's a new pitch to it. Might be time for new clutch packs...

And, twist my arm for more pics. I should probably update my build thread too, it's been a while -- current setup is much lighter, way stiffer springs, different dampers, lower ride height, and a different rollbar. Oh, have been testing some Nankang AR1s too -- first impressions are pretty positive, but need more time with them to make up my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Seems like you are left foot braking...
Definitely. Even on the street, I left-foot brake two-pedal cars. Makes no sense to me not to use one foot only because it's considered a "bad habit" or something...

That's actually been my biggest issue over the last few months learning to track a three-pedal car -- teaching the right foot how to brake as well. It's harder to trailbrake well when it's constantly switching between the gas and the brake.







Wow it looks so good. That roll bar also looks great, much tighter to the roof than every prefab bar.
__________________
2016 M235i
6MT, LSD, Slicktop
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #12
smchuck
Private
5
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: BMW 230i
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Shaker ohio

iTrader: (0)

Is that a vinyl wrap?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #13
msendit
Private First Class
msendit's Avatar
180
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: M240i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
That roll bar also looks great, much tighter to the roof than every prefab bar.
That's the main reason we refreshed it. Once I stripped the interior and took out the sunroof mechanism, the old bar was multiple inches from both the roof and the sides. Plus, this one's welded in, not bolted -- if (err, when?) this car goes racing, all it would need is the front half...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smchuck View Post
Is that a vinyl wrap?
Yup. That's the fine folks at SFGWraps. I'm a bit biased, but they've made liveries for some beautiful racecars.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
goodNIGHT's Avatar
84
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LOS ANGELES

iTrader: (1)

Just moved up here from LA. Hopefully will see you out there at Sonoma. Heading out to the karting track on Monday to get my first taste of it
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST