THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes car wobbles while driving aggressive

10-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
jestyaf
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i coupe

car wobbles while driving aggressive

had my M235i about a month and a half now... now that im pretty much used to it im starting to drive a lot more aggressive now and im noticing the car wobbling a bit when doing so... googling the problem seems to tell me it's most likely the subframe bushings? is this like an emergency to fix asap? could i lose control bc of it? car is still under the 90 day carmax warranty. think this is something they will fix? if not, how many millions of dollars will this cost me?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
nixeighty6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2c

iI'm actually here researching kind of this same thing.. hit a paving cross cut and busted my wheels and had a suspension inspection today, it's been feeling looser sense (like 5 days ago)..
anyway my mechanic said the front lower front control arms are a very common source and go out with regular driving around 40k.. my car is at 33k but i drive hard and it seems that hit just push it to the point i can really feel it.
i would take it in and have them look at the play on the control arms.. i bet ya it's excessive and or they will replace replace at least the front

this is what we were looking at but again im here researching

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...440tms01-02~a/

the rear are the front and rear trail arms and the diff bushing.. i can update as i learn more. all other input is great to.
I'll do most or all mine with new tires and alignment buy end of next week
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Tire pressures. Make sure they are appropriate for the tires you’re running (non runflats vs runflats) mine was at 38 PSI on non runflats and made the car feeling squirreling.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
nixeighty6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

wanted to update this thread as to what i found and what i'm doing.

There's an m4 lca (lower control arm) upgrade for our cars RWD m235i list posted by Jondagger here https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=237

i ordered dinan springs and confort kit, rear trail arms and new diff bushings to do it all at the same time

hope this helps someone.
cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestyaf View Post
had my M235i about a month and a half now... now that im pretty much used to it im starting to drive a lot more aggressive now and im noticing the car wobbling a bit when doing so... googling the problem seems to tell me it's most likely the subframe bushings? is this like an emergency to fix asap? could i lose control bc of it? car is still under the 90 day carmax warranty. think this is something they will fix? if not, how many millions of dollars will this cost me?
Wobbles? Like up and down, side to side or at the front or rear end of the vehicle going through a corer? Over bumps only?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #6
Uwrwilke
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Tire pressures. Make sure they are appropriate for the tires you’re running (non runflats vs runflats) mine was at 38 PSI on non runflats and made the car feeling squirreling.
What do you recommend on non run flats for psi?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixeighty6 View Post
iI'm actually here researching kind of this same thing.. hit a paving cross cut and busted my wheels and had a suspension inspection today, it's been feeling looser sense (like 5 days ago)..
anyway my mechanic said the front lower front control arms are a very common source and go out with regular driving around 40k.. my car is at 33k but i drive hard and it seems that hit just push it to the point i can really feel it.
i would take it in and have them look at the play on the control arms.. i bet ya it's excessive and or they will replace replace at least the front

this is what we were looking at but again im here researching

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...440tms01-02~a/

the rear are the front and rear trail arms and the diff bushing.. i can update as i learn more. all other input is great to.
I'll do most or all mine with new tires and alignment buy end of next week
replacing suspension items at 40k is not normal. don't buy this at all.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      10-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwrwilke View Post
What do you recommend on non run flats for psi?
Depends on tire sizes. I have Staggered 18's and run about 32psi cold. The shops keep bumping it up to 38 or so because they think I'm using runflats and it causes the car to feel loose and wobbly.
      11-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #9
nixeighty6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well, here are my front tension strut bushings at 33k.. the car felt real sloppy with them in before hitting said paving cut, and more loose after.
For one, I'm not going to argue for or with a guy that worked at BMW service for 3 years.. I did not. My experience aligns with his expertise.
I have since replaced with M4 lower control arms and tension struts, also upgraded to Dinan springs w/comfort kit.. my car feels Fan Fuk'n Tastic! (This upgrade probably isn't for the timid - probably gonna kill tires)
Now a did change a lot, including toe (alignment).. but the only parts that actually look like they need replaced are the bushings. So I stand by my original post with one correction. I said lower control arm where I should have said tension strut, my lower control arm bushings were probably fine, my tension strut bushings are again the one shown in this picture and were done at 33kmiles.
Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixeighty6 View Post
Well, here are my front tension strut bushings at 33k.. the car felt real sloppy with them in before hitting said paving cut, and more loose after.
For one, I'm not going to argue for or with a guy that worked at BMW service for 3 years.. I did not. My experience aligns with his expertise.
I have since replaced with M4 lower control arms and tension struts, also upgraded to Dinan springs w/comfort kit.. my car feels Fan Fuk'n Tastic! (This upgrade probably isn't for the timid - probably gonna kill tires)
Now a did change a lot, including toe (alignment).. but the only parts that actually look like they need replaced are the bushings. So I stand by my original post with one correction. I said lower control arm where I should have said tension strut, my lower control arm bushings were probably fine, my tension strut bushings are again the one shown in this picture and were done at 33kmiles.
Cheers

Compare those to this set which had 10k miles according to the post below, yours look terrible!

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1655053
Appreciate 2
dradernh4179.00