THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BMW portland no longer is a Dinan dealer

11-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

BMW portland no longer is a Dinan dealer

So I just called BMW portland who used to be a Dinan dealer to install the Dinantronics Elite V2 (being tired of waiting for the flash tune). Parts told me to call services for labor cost but the service adviser told me that they are no longer a Dinan dealer due to the CELs and the process of claiming parts/labor thru Dinan. He also told me for the cars installed Dinan in the past, BMW portland also won't accept warranty claims.
Is this happening in your neck of the woods?
We only have Kuni and portland here so there are no dealer in the region that's a Dinan dealer.
Now I don't know if I should get a Dinan tune...
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
Thoughts?
My nearest BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer; however, I bought my Elite V2 through getbmwparts.com. I didn't see any particular reason to buy it locally, as it would have cost me more (at the time getbmwparts was offering a 5% price reduction - plus, no sales tax), and I was going to have my independent shop install it anyway for $50.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
So I just called BMW portland who used to be a Dinan dealer to install the Dinantronics Elite V2 (being tired of waiting for the flash tune). Parts told me to call services for labor cost but the service adviser told me that they are no longer a Dinan dealer due to the CELs and the process of claiming parts/labor thru Dinan. He also told me for the cars installed Dinan in the past, BMW portland also won't accept warranty claims.
We only have Kuni and portland here so there are no dealer in the region that's a Dinan dealer.
Thoughts?
That's doesn't sound exactly right to me. My thought being that if the parts were installed while the dealership was a Dinan dealer, they should cover any and all warranty work either through BMW or Dinan (depending on where the problem occurred.

Additionally, if the dealership is not longer a Dinan dealer, that doesn't mean that because you have a Dinan part installed that your car is no longer covered under BMW's warranty. It is. If the Dinan part caused a BMW part to fail, Dinan Warranty should cover that issue (works the same way whether your dealership is a Dinan retailer or not). If the warranty issue is unrelated to the Dinan part, BMW should cover it (and the dealership shouldn't care one way or the other).

Generally, the manufacturer's warranty will cover 99% of the problems as Diana performance parts are pretty tame compared to others. Sounds like your dealership is being. Sounds like the dealership is being petty and leaving their customers out to dry.

Quick story - a guy bought a CPO M4. Picked the car up and the engine "grenaded" on the drive home from the dealership. BMW paid to replace the motor @ a cost of appox $25K.

The guy has since added Dinan performance parts and regularly tracks the car. His transmission started making a funny sound. Not something you'd notice normally, but if you listen for it you will hear it. The car runs fine and performs as expected. It just makes the sound.

Bear in mine the M cars designed to be tracked and raced, so warranty should apply unless there are signs of sheer negligence on the part of the owner/operator.

The dealership tried to locate and fix the issue but couldn't. They submitted a warranty claim for a new transmission. BMW sent a team out to evaluate the car (likely because they just paid for a new engine in that car) and refused the claim due to the Dinan parts. Dinan claims that none of their parts would cause that transmission issue. BMW won't pay for a new tranny, so the guy is stuck.

Guessing if there wasn't an engine replaced in that car, this would not have been an issue. BMW would have authorized a new tranny. But because of the prior high cost claim, they sent a team out for a "look-see".
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #4
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Thoughts?
Bmw of Salem is still a dinan dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehim View Post
Quote:
Thoughts?
That's a bit far though.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thoughts?
That's a bit far though.
40 miles and it takes them under an hour to install.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
40 miles and it takes them under an hour to install.
I would be OK with driving for the installation but I'm worried about problems later on and that I'll always have to drive to salem (if the problem even let me drive that far) to do any warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
imarockstar
Rep
Drives: Ferrari

I'm in the market for a 5-series as my 335i isn't going to cut it with kids on the way. My dealer has a 2011 550i with 26k for $47k. It has all available options including rear set DVD which according to kbb puts it around $52k so it is already a decent value.

It also has every Dinan upgrade available for the 550i including Stage 3. MSRP for the upgrades alone is ~$16k plus the rims, but I am not exactly sure what they are. I am told that this car was actually owned by Steve Dinan, and seeing how it has every option and then some, I am tempted to believe them, but I have no way to verify that.
This is not a CPO as they don't CPO Dinan cars, so the warranty is up in 2 years which leads to the question, is it worth it? Whatever I get I was going to hold on to for a while, and while this would be a good car to do that with, I am wary of troubles down the road.
snaptube telegram web
I had no plans to track the car, but with 500hp and 580ft-lbs of torque I might have to start.

Last edited by imarockstar; 12-14-2019 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Have your run the numbers for a 2011 550i on KBB?

https://www.kbb.com/bmw/5-series/201...on=good#survey
Appreciate 0