THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Yard freaks

07-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #595
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I'm on the local water board. How would it look if I had this green lawn from watering?

I do a 10x10 little spot in the back yard, behind a shed, where I sit and read my books in the sunshine
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #596
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
I feel like I run my sprinkler system non stop and my lawn is still looking a little dead. I do the scotts 4 step and re-seeded etc. Oh well lol
You are probably over watering.
      07-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #597
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
I feel like I run my sprinkler system non stop and my lawn is still looking a little dead. I do the scotts 4 step and re-seeded etc. Oh well lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
1" of water per week. if it's too hot I've read you can up that to 1.5" of water per week. use the tuna can method
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #598
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
I dont think so. I put on the system at 4:30 am, sprinklers run for like 30 minutes....I was doing 20 minutes and they lawn was looking worse. Then I started adding an evening run for another 15 minutes.

It's about 90 and humid here and has been pretty hot/sunny with semi-minimal rain over the past month.
      07-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #599
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dont think so. I put on the system at 4:30 am, sprinklers run for like 30 minutes....I was doing 20 minutes and they lawn was looking worse. Then I started adding an evening run for another 15 minutes.

It's about 90 and humid here and has been pretty hot/sunny with semi-minimal rain over the past month.
How many days a week? Also, you’d be better off watering deeply less frequently than frequent watering to encourage deeper root growth.
      07-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #600
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
pictures?
Check it out
Attached Images

07-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #601
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How many days a week? Also, you’d be better off watering deeply less frequently than frequent watering to encourage deeper root growth.
Every day...check the pics i just posted.

I bought this house literally 2 years ago today and most of last year I didnt really tend to the lawn much other than mowing it and laying down fertilizer once. This year I was much more on top of it and it's still just not coming in that great.

The people before me didnt take care of anything so I had a tremendous amount of work on my hands between bush/tree removal, planting etc. In the middle of removing some shit along the back now, then need to fill in with top soil, build a retaining wall and then plant some arborvitaes. It should look beautiful once I'm done though.

All in good time I guess ha
      07-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #602
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I bought this house literally 2 years ago today and most of last year I didnt really tend to the lawn much other than mowing it and laying down fertilizer once. This year I was much more on top of it and it's still just not coming in that great.

The people before me didnt take care of anything so I had a tremendous amount of work on my hands between bush/tree removal, planting etc. In the middle of removing some shit along the back now, then need to fill in with top soil, build a retaining wall and then plant some arborvitaes. It should look beautiful once I'm done though.

I am pretty sure that is too much water, which can lead to disease, which can encourage weeds and pests. I am in South Florida where it is hot. It usually rains a lot in the summer, so I turn off irrigation, or set it to 1x / week. It hasn't rained in about a week and I saw the lawn getting a little crispy, so I turned it on for a second day this week. I never exceed 3x / week and it runs for 24 minutes per zone.
      07-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #603
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am pretty sure that is too much water, which can lead to disease, which can encourage weeds and pests. I am in South Florida where it is hot. It usually rains a lot in the summer, so I turn off irrigation, or set it to 1x / week. It hasn't rained in about a week and I saw the lawn getting a little crispy, so I turned it on for a second day this week. I never exceed 3x / week and it runs for 24 minutes per zone.
The only reason I don't think it's over watering is because the soil seems dry. It's not like saturated or super soft or anything. But I'm not a Horticulturist so what the hell do I know?

I do get some clover and weeds, especially along my arborvitaes because there is not fence there and my neighbor neglects the shit out of her yard. Part of the bush removal project is because I'm having a nice white privacy fence installed behind the Arborviates and along the back where the chain link is now.

In any event, maybe I'll try kicking it down to every other day and see what happens.
      07-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #604
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So here's 5 days later after spraying down the iron. Looks like I got some fungus creeping back in since it's been so damn humid. Hard to tell if it got darker or not?

Before:

After:

Different time of the day. The before was probably around 6pm. The 2nd is 230pm
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 07-17-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #605
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So here's 5 days later after spraying down the iron. Looks like I got some fungus creeping back in since it's been so damn humid. Hard to tell if it got darker or not?

Before:

After:

Different time of the day. The before was probably around 6pm. The 2nd is 230pm
Wow! Nice lawn man. All those hours paying off
      07-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #606
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

so you can't water your lawn everyday. your roots will just be shallow and not reach down deep and when temperatures hit the 90's even with all the water you're putting down your grass is gonna say good night. it has to be infrequent. looks like your lawn said ef it and seems to be going dormant. I see a lot of bare spots. but...it looks like it can be fixed but you'll have to do some homework here. it's going to take some work since it's only been 2 years since getting the house. keep in mind that it's not the grass you have to take care of but it's also the soil too! believe me when I moved into my house the lawn was full of weeds and the grass was literally brown. after much research and watching countless amount of YouTube videos I finally got the jist of things after a couple of years. have you done any type of dethatching and aeration in the Spring? as far as the weeds a pre emergent needs to be put down before things start to germinate like crabgrass. even after that one month later you'll need to put something down to care of the broadleafs (dandelions) that start to emerge. you can't just lay down 1 app of fertilizer and call it the season. it almost takes 3 apps of fertilizer during the season along with supplemental amendments for the soil. and even with all that work there's stuff that happen that's out of anyone's control like fungus, bugs, ect...I would highly get a soil test done to determine what your soil conditions are and start from there. good luck. any questions feel free to ask us!

edit: in the Fall time I would really look into dethatching, aerate and overseed! that'll get you started for next year
Appreciate 2
      07-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #607
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow! Nice lawn man. All those hours paying off
Thank you and yes, it takes time a lot of hard work along with asking a million question from these Lawn Youtubers like Allyn Hayne (the lawn care nut) Ryan Knorr, Jeremy from the Greener lawn. Pete from GCF turf and the young kid Jake from Jake the lawn kid. oh god, I have issues if I was able to name all these guys lol!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #608
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Today's bounty
Attached Images

07-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #609
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

But WHERE does your water go?

Get a mason jar. Put some dirt from your lawn, as best u can in the order it sits. Add a few lids full of water (to equal water your tuna can indicates). Observe your distribution
      07-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #610
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so you can't water your lawn everyday. your roots will just be shallow and not reach down deep and when temperatures hit the 90's even with all the water you're putting down your grass is gonna say good night. it has to be infrequent. looks like your lawn said ef it and seems to be going dormant. I see a lot of bare spots. but...it looks like it can be fixed but you'll have to do some homework here. it's going to take some work since it's only been 2 years since getting the house. keep in mind that it's not the grass you have to take care of but it's also the soil too! believe me when I moved into my house the lawn was full of weeds and the grass was literally brown. after much research and watching countless amount of YouTube videos I finally got the jist of things after a couple of years. have you done any type of dethatching and aeration in the Spring? as far as the weeds a pre emergent needs to be put down before things start to germinate like crabgrass. even after that one month later you'll need to put something down to care of the broadleafs (dandelions) that start to emerge. you can't just lay down 1 app of fertilizer and call it the season. it almost takes 3 apps of fertilizer during the season along with supplemental amendments for the soil. and even with all that work there's stuff that happen that's out of anyone's control like fungus, bugs, ect...I would highly get a soil test done to determine what your soil conditions are and start from there. good luck. any questions feel free to ask us!

edit: in the Fall time I would really look into dethatching, aerate and overseed! that'll get you started for next year
Bro I literally thatched and hard raked the lawn, aerated, albeit it was only making tiny holes. I should have probably used a better one but whatever. In the early early spring I laid some lime down and then did the scotts steps. I have done 3 of the 4 steps and the Sumer step is due about now. I’ve also laid down a Scott’s 3 in 1 with some fertilizer and grass seed to help the lawn come up thicker.

I did look up a lot of info but not to to the extent you did lol. Not really sure what to do :

I’ll start changing the water cycle to see if that helps because that’s easy enough to alter. Thanks for the input guys
      07-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #611
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Getting bigger!
Attached Images

07-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #612
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bro I literally thatched and hard raked the lawn, aerated, albeit it was only making tiny holes. I should have probably used a better one but whatever. In the early early spring I laid some lime down and then did the scotts steps. I have done 3 of the 4 steps and the Sumer step is due about now. I’ve also laid down a Scott’s 3 in 1 with some fertilizer and grass seed to help the lawn come up thicker.

I did look up a lot of info but not to to the extent you did lol. Not really sure what to do :

I’ll start changing the water cycle to see if that helps because that’s easy enough to alter. Thanks for the input guys
maybe look into the Next products for soil amendments. this will help your grass tremendously especially through these hot spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Getting bigger!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #613
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Getting bigger!
DUDE, that is just SO inappropriate
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #614
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
DUDE, that is just SO inappropriate
Wede, you must have Balls on your mind...sweaty balls for that matter
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #615
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Perennial flowers are starting to bloom!
Asiatic lily's

Day lily's

Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangeas

Limelights!

This one Autumn Blaze Maple is showing signs of iron deficiency with the yellow of the leaves. will pick up some Iron Tone on Friday from Home Depot. hopefully that helps
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #616
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Hydrangeas are doing well and blooming!

Lily's are finally blooming!