THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i purchase

07-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

M235i purchase

Hello everyone,
I owned a 2016 228ix and when the lease ran out I looked at leasing a 2020. Well, the lease payments and buy payments are out of my budget. Retired on a fixed income. The 228ix was great but I wanted a little more power. I considered a tuner but chose not to. So, I am now looking to purchase a 2016 M235i. I have driven a friends and the power is better in stock form and since I want to hang on to the M235. I thought the 6 would be more dependable over the long haul. I own a 2012 X3 6 cylinder with 107K on it and it runs like new. A friend and shop owner that only works on German cars tells me that if I bring it to him for the required maintenance it can log another 107K miles. Since I didn't put many miles on the 228i I think it could last a long time. Now my wife does not like a noisy vehicle. I put a Magna Flow mild exhaust on the 228 and she was ok with it. Is the cabin noise on the M235 loud. I'm happy to be back and hope to frequent this site after I find my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
As far as I'm concerned "noise" isn't an issue, and I have a vert even with the MP exhaust and it's not loud. With the top up other than the start up after sitting a while, I don't really even notice the exhaust much, but the the top down there is a nice little deep-throated note of power. I'm mostly in comfort mode, but when I do use Sport or Sport+ I have lots of nice "pops" and "burbles", again more noticeable with the top down. It's the perfect DD for me and I also do some longer 4-7 hour drives too and it makes for a good GT.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Noise? Yeah not remotely enough noise, there could be a ton more. These cars are relatively quiet.

I don't care how much required maintenance you are doing, odds are high you are not putting 200k on any Bimmer without replacing some expensive parts.

Best of luck in your search.
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      07-31-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
As far as I'm concerned "noise" isn't an issue, and I have a vert even with the MP exhaust and it's not loud. With the top up other than the start up after sitting a while, I don't really even notice the exhaust much, but the the top down there is a nice little deep-throated note of power. I'm mostly in comfort mode, but when I do use Sport or Sport+ I have lots of nice "pops" and "burbles", again more noticeable with the top down. It's the perfect DD for me and I also do some longer 4-7 hour drives too and it makes for a good GT.
Ok,thanks. Of course I can always go to standard mode if the wifey is with me, then on to Sport1. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Hello everyone...
Welcome back! I always enjoyed your posts from before you sold your 228, and I'm looking forward to your being a part of this community again.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
TheSniper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

I upgraded some speakers in mine and had Dynamat installed in the doors, trunk, and rear panels. Might be something you can look into if you wanted to dampen the noise quiet a bit.

I also feel the car isn't really noisy at all, but I wanted to improve the audio quality a bit.

I do have the Dinan exhaust, which has a nice growl, but it has never been an issue in the cabin.

Dinan Stage 4 Tune (Big turbo, exhaust, intercooler, etc)

Dinan lowering springs, bump stops, front and rear sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattanooga240 View Post
Noise? Yeah not remotely enough noise, there could be a ton more. These cars are relatively quiet.

I don't care how much required maintenance you are doing, odds are high you are not putting 200k on any Bimmer without replacing some expensive parts.

Best of luck in your search.
Thanks,You are right, but replacing an expensive part beats making an expensive payment.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #8
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Thanks,You are right, but replacing an expensive part beats making an expensive payment.
No it doesn't, it's just playing the odds and hoping for the best. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will only be minor things that need attention on your road to 200k miles.

If you get unlucky though and things start to pile up, you could spend your monthly car payment on repairs alone. (or more)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattanooga240 View Post
No it doesn't, it's just playing the odds and hoping for the best. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will only be minor things that need attention on your road to 200k miles.

If you get unlucky though and things start to pile up, you could spend your monthly car payment on repairs alone. (or more)
I'll take my chances. I'm not getting rid of it right now. I have a detailing business and detailed a 3 series with 268K on it. Owner had no major issues. He got lucky.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #10
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Is it a really good deal ? you can get low mileage 235i for low 20's. I won't be taking mine past 100K..but it'll take 10 years to get there lol

Cars can run to 500K if you put enough $$ into them.

My 235i is quiet, esp. on comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #11
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Is it a really good deal ? you can get low mileage 235i for low 20's. I won't be taking mine past 100K..but it'll take 10 years to get there lol

I won't be getting serious until next year. My Lexus will be paid off by then which I will trade. I will pay the rest in cash. Yeah, I have seen some low mileage nice ones for around 24K and even lower. I'm hoping for around 22K. My 228 was Estoril blue which I loved. Might go for red, white or gray this time. I wish sunset orange was available in 2016. I will only be putting around 6-7K a year on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post

Thanks to all for the great feedback. In terms of keeping a car and undergoing high expenses. That is not an issue for me. My wife and I are retired. We moved to the Delaware beach and have a comfortable retirement income. However, retiring and doing nothing is not for us. I live at the beach and opened a detailing business 13 years ago. I did part time detailing for 10 years before we moved here. My business here has grown substantially due to the quality of my work. I use products which come from one of the top detailing suppliers in the country. Their pros go to Mecum and Barrett Jackson and prep vehicles for auction. And you know a lot of them are high end. Their products are the best and most cannot be purchased at your local Auto Zone or Pep Boys. I also use their website to get advice from the pros as to what new products they are introducing and reviews on them from the pros and public. So, my business is in my large 2 car garage which has a split A/C and heating system. I can work in it year round and I do get a lot of business in winter except when we vacation in Naples Fla for 6 weeks. My regular customers know this and wait until I return. I dont have a web site or Facebook. I grow my business word of mouth. When my customers see the quality of the work I do they spread the word of the work. I hand out my business cards to them after I return their vehicle My cards are in almost every auto repair shop in the area. As far as expensive repairs go I have a friend who owns a repair business. He only works on German cars and can undercut the rip off dealer prices for repairs. We have a lot of people coming to our state because they want to live at the beach or on the beach and our taxes are extremely low. As an example one customer from NY was paying more a month for taxes than I do in a year and we have no sales tax. I get to know a lot of them through my detailing business and a lot of them ask me where they can take their German cars to that is reasonable. I send them to my friend and as a result he will do excellent and reasonable work on them.He maintains my X3 and keeps me informed if anything looks like a potential issue. He also recommends me to any of his customers looking for a quality detail after he works on the mechanics. Our incomes from my business and my wife part time job is substantial and growing. So, I don't fret about expensive repairs on the X3. If it does start costing me money I will simply buy another one. Same goes for the M235 I am looking into.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #13
Kendapau
Rep
Drives: 228i XDrive Converible

Rayscott where in DE are you? I have a place in Bethany. Stay safe with this storm headed up the coast! I split time between Frederick MD and the beach. I have a 2016 228xi convertible and love it. It could use more power but frankly there is nowhere for me to use it!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #14
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendapau View Post
Rayscott where in DE are you? I have a place in Bethany. Stay safe with this storm headed up the coast! I split time between Frederick MD and the beach. I have a 2016 228xi convertible and love it. It could use more power but frankly there is nowhere for me to use it!
We are in Lewes and are honkering down for the storm. Stay safe as well. I miss my 228ix and hope to purchase a M235 next year. If you ever need it detailed I offer free pick up and return service. I have a lot of customers in Bethany. Call me at 302 740-3780. Ray
Appreciate 0