THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Alzor 030 wheel review! Finally got them installed.

07-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

While I love the 2-series coupe styling, I found myself liking the stock wheels less and less. I seriously considered painting my OEM wheels black but the only local same-day service I could find was $580. I also considered updating it with some gloss black LCI wheels but I still didn't love that design as much as I wanted to.

I came across a thread that reminded me about the 359M wheels. The more I thought about it, the more I loved how timeless the design is, but they were too wide to install without poking out. I had three major "needs" when it came to installing new wheels:

1. Needs to be VIA and JWL certified. This essentially means it passes dynamic cornering fatigue test, dynamic radial fatigue test, and impact tests to ensure it is as safe to use as OEM.
2. Needs to not poke outside the wheel well. My philosophy is that if the car looks like it *may* have come from the factory that way, it is a successful mod. Wheels poking out the wheel well do not look OEM. I wanted them as flush as possible without poke.
3. Needs to fit OEM tires. I think 18" wheels look best on the F22 chassis (I prefer them over 19") and I wanted to retain the handling characteristics of the OEM staggered fitment. You can debate me on that if you'd like but my decision on that one won't change. I wanted 225 tires in the front and 245 tires in the rear so I decided to do an 18x8" ET35 square setup.

I decided on Alzor 030 wheels after hours of research. I got them for only about $700 shipped. They are cast aluminum, of course, and are ECS Tuning's "generic" brand. Alzor makes a lot of replicas of OEM BMW / Audi designs in various sizes.

Ordered some OEM BMW center cap emblems that actually fit over the Alzor center caps and attach via adhesive (EDIT: DON'T DO THIS. Keep your OEM 68mm center caps. The Alzor caps are junk and don't fit with the emblems in ECS' FAQ.) Ordered some M emblems from a no-name brand on Amazon that had high reviews. They came with quality 3M tape on the back and look exactly like OEM from the front.

All-in-all, it was about $660 in parts and about $100 in shipping.

Finish was nearly perfect. I found 1-3 small pieces of dust below the paint but zero chips. I've seen dust under paint on OEM wheels as well.

Ride quality is as good as OEM. My wheels had some bends repaired because the 436M wheels are very soft metal. I think the brand new wheels actually ride smoother than my old wheels did. They balanced easily with Michelin tires.

The rear wheels have ever so slight poke, sadly, but you have to get down low and look for it. Happy enough with that for the price.
Attached Images

Last edited by BrettKA7; 07-14-2020 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0