THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MP Exhaust Tip questions

07-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

MP Exhaust Tip questions

Hey All,

About to finally buy the M-Performance Exhaust. I've read numerous threads that people have removed the black chrome tips from OEM factory and installed them on the MP Exhaust to save money, and/or personal preference. I'm going to have my dealer install this new exhaust for me. Is this something you think they'll do? Is this something where the OEM tips slide on with no issues on the new exhaust, and/or have issues coming off the OEM exhaust? Any issues I should be forewarned about

I figured I would do this now, and eventually buy the Carbon fiber tips later. Just want to make sure the Black chrome tips will come off in a "normal fashion" when i'm ready to buy the CF Tips. I don't want to "rig" these OEM tips and force them on if you know what I mean. I like everything installed cleanly

Thanks,
Ryan
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

You can buy my replica CF tips for cheap. Any local muffler shop can install for less than $30
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
I just put on my MPE last weekend. I definitely reused the tips. One hint, hammer the tips off the original exhaust before it is removed. They will be able to be installed on the MPE. Just tell the dealer that is what you want before they start the project.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
APX2APX
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235iX

I installed my own MP exhaust last weekend also. Took my 30 minutes to measure 20x to be sure and cut once. Took a total of 45-50 minutes to complete.

I re-used the Black Tips from the original onto the MPE, no problem.

my hints:

1. lube the hangers, soap and water or electrical wire lube available at Home Depot.

2. use painters tape and tape up the tips a few layers, to avoid ruining them and your rear diffuser. Do the same when you install the new MPE.

3. to remove the original tips, use a rubber mallet, not a steel hammer. I removed mine After I removed the exhaust, no problem at all.

4. use exhaust hanger pliers, worth the $25, took 30 seconds to remove each side
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0.oap?pt=N0764
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude
I just put on my MPE last weekend. I definitely reused the tips. One hint, hammer the tips off the original exhaust before it is removed. They will be able to be installed on the MPE. Just tell the dealer that is what you want before they start the project.
When you did the removal, these tips aren't screwed in or locked in? You just hammer them off and then hammer them on the MPE?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
APX2APX
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
When you did the removal, these tips aren't screwed in or locked in? You just hammer them off and then hammer them on the MPE?
That is correct. Just rubber mallet them off/on.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
Exactly. There are 3 wavy pressure points inside. You may have to tweak them a bit, I did.
Appreciate 0