THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New BMW car scent

05-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #45
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Mine has that warm Crayon smell like every other BMW I've ever sat in.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      05-16-2017, 04:33 AM   #46
duluthtwo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXF22 View Post
Uhhhhh, that's the broccoli cheese caserole from last night
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #47
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Smell might be a nice feature but it doesn't last long with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #48
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
Imo bmw probably has the worst new car smell. I covered that up with squash on the first day
sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but i just got the OG Squash air spencer cx-3 and 2 refill cartridges because i was promised a universally loved scent. Before anyone contest it, yes, it's the JDM - made in Japan product.

maybe all that hype has got my expectations over the top, but I wasn't at all taken by the scent. I get why people might find it pleasant but it doesn't seem to complement the leather interior IMO. I had thought the scent was going to be more unique but the top notes reminded me of the interior in the better looked after taxis where I used to live (Singapore). Maybe the base notes/dry down is where the scent is at, i had intermittent whiffs of a fainter squash scent coupled with the leather and could smell some potential, but i'm generally not in love with undoubtedly the most rated car scent on the planet.

I was hoping to get something that not only smells nice, but either aids or accentuates the leather interior of the car. Seems like zainol leather care is the way to go afterall...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #49
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

My M240i new car smell was less than other cars I've owned, but still somewhat pleasing. Not "leathery" or "plasticy", kind of in between.

The C7 I traded smelled like "liquid Nails". Had that car for nearly two years and it still smelled like the day I got it (garaged w/ windows up). Vette forums discussed that to eliminate that smell, you had to leave the windows down all the time for months. Some guys loved it. Not sure if they were glue sniffers as kids though.

I have never found a product that accurately replicated the new car smell. Guess that's why we keep buying a new car. I suppose you could go to Bed Bath and Beyond and buy a shower curtain and put in under a seat and wear a leather jacket. Get that nice plasticy/leathery smell back int the car.......
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #50
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

This F22 does not smell that great. It did not smell as good as my E92 335i when brand new. I think it's the cheap leather that BMW skimped on to lower the price point of the vehicle. Best smelling new car I've ever owned was an Infiniti G37. Much nicer smelling than my 3 BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #51
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

The smell must be fairly light or innocuous - I've never noticed it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #52
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
This F22 does not smell that great. It did not smell as good as my E92 335i when brand new. I think it's the cheap leather that BMW skimped on to lower the price point of the vehicle. Best smelling new car I've ever owned was an Infiniti G37. Much nicer smelling than my 3 BMW's.
The smell is the plastics; nothing to do with the leather. And whether the seat leather material is cheap and nasty, or 100% luxury like the 3 series (which I doubt was a lot better), the treatment is the same.

I know now where to go if I want a lungful of VOCs, though!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #53
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
The smell is the plastics; nothing to do with the leather. And whether the seat leather material is cheap and nasty, or 100% luxury like the 3 series (which I doubt was a lot better), the treatment is the same.

I know now where to go if I want a lungful of VOCs, though!
Nope. I'm actually talking about the leather smell. I don't know if you know what leather smells like, but it's obvious to me. My G37 smelled of nice quality leather vs the 3 BMW's I've owned (all purchased new). When you purchase a new car upholstered in leather, that smell sticks around even after the new car smell fades away after 4-5 months. Best smelling cars in my opinion are Mercedes Benz' because of their quality leathers.
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      12-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #54
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Nope. I'm actually talking about the leather smell. I don't know if you know what leather smells like, but it's obvious to me. My G37 smelled of nice quality leather vs the 3 BMW's I've owned (all purchased new). When you purchase a new car upholstered in leather, that smell sticks around even after the new car smell fades away after 4-5 months. Best smelling cars in my opinion are Mercedes Benz' because of their quality leathers.
I know what proper leather smells like, and it smells nothing like the plastics rampantly off-gassing in a new car. As G37 and Mercedes have better leather than BMW, apparently, they should smell like tanneries - but no Merc I’ve ridden in smells anything like a tannery. It smells of car . I don’t know what a G37 is, though, they only sell it in a handful of places.

Last edited by ScottAndrew; 12-18-2018 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #55
Hammy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
I was always trying to put my finger on the smell of a new BMW but you've nailed it!
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      12-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #56
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

My M240i interior smells horrible. I used to love how my parents' old American cars smelled back in the 90's. That true plastic-y "new car smell" that probably just got us high and we didn't know it. Like walking past the school buses in High School. Gotta love how burned diesel smells... I digress. On the other hand, my Volvo actually smells like luxurious leather gloves without any hints of plastic off-gassing. Kinda nice, actually.

Pretty sure the Dakota "leather" seats are contributing to the stench as well. Throw in the unique smell of the M Performance mats and my wife starts to get nauseous. Okay, it's not so bad that I don't enjoy the driving experience (why I bought the car anyway), but BMW still needs to step it up in this department.

Last edited by CP911; 12-17-2018 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #57
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Driving home today with dealer's loaner, a new 2019 X3 with leather interior, and I started coughing during the entire drive. I'm sensitive to odors like perfume and there was something in that car that was irritating my lungs, I can smell it right after getting into the car. My wife thinks it might be a cleaning solution the dealer uses to clean the loaner but I think it might be the coating thats applied to the leather seats, some kind of UV protectant. My new 230i has the Sensatec material and I don't have that odor that's in the loaner.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:54 PM   #58
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Has anyone tried the official BMW air freshners? Wondering if they smell nice.

I use AutoGlym Autofresh when I clean the interior and it smells really good. Not overpowering and subtle but a little like new car smell.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #59
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Nothing smells better than a brand new Cadillac from the 70s to early 80s

Thick Plush Carpet, Couch Like Leather and plenty of voc's to fry your brain.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #60
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
Has anyone tried the official BMW air freshners? Wondering if they smell nice.
I've got one. I was at the dealer for an oil change (still under the maintenance plan) and planned on stopping to get one of those vent mounted air fresheners on the way home (Fabreze or something along those lines). The dealership had the starter kits on sale for 50% off ( I think it was $12) and it looks a lot nicer than the Fabreze thing I was thinking of so I figured why not. It came with "Sparkling Raindrops", but I also picked up a three pack of "Balancing Amber", as I thought I preferred that scent over the sparking raindrops based on the samples in the store.

First, I will say that it does look sleek installed in the vent. Each cartridge also lasts about 3 months. However, they are VERY overpowering initially, especially if you have the heat on (the fragrances are definitely more noticeable with warmer air vs. the air conditioner). I'm also not as pleased with the balancing amber as I thought based on the sample in the store. There are 6 fragrances available, so you can probably find one that you can live with.

I do need refills again, and I will swing by a dealer soon to sniff other samples and see if anything else seems appealing, although I don't remember liking any of the others when I first sniffed them. Otherwise I might go back to sparkling raindrops. I think I actually kind of miss that scent; let's see what I think once I smell it again though!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:43 AM   #61
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
I've got one. I was at the dealer for an oil change (still under the maintenance plan) and planned on stopping to get one of those vent mounted air fresheners on the way home (Fabreze or something along those lines). The dealership had the starter kits on sale for 50% off ( I think it was $12) and it looks a lot nicer than the Fabreze thing I was thinking of so I figured why not. It came with "Sparkling Raindrops", but I also picked up a three pack of "Balancing Amber", as I thought I preferred that scent over the sparking raindrops based on the samples in the store.

First, I will say that it does look sleek installed in the vent. Each cartridge also lasts about 3 months. However, they are VERY overpowering initially, especially if you have the heat on (the fragrances are definitely more noticeable with warmer air vs. the air conditioner). I'm also not as pleased with the balancing amber as I thought based on the sample in the store. There are 6 fragrances available, so you can probably find one that you can live with.

I do need refills again, and I will swing by a dealer soon to sniff other samples and see if anything else seems appealing, although I don't remember liking any of the others when I first sniffed them. Otherwise I might go back to sparkling raindrops. I think I actually kind of miss that scent; let's see what I think once I smell it again though!
Sweet, thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #62
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
Yup. You nailed it, warm Crayon. I'm a fan of Zaino's "Leather in a Bottle". Smear some on a piece of paper, and stick it under the seat. DON'T put it on your Dakota "leather" seats, because that plasticized garbage won't absorb it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #63
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboosted View Post
The smell of a new car is mesmerizing, it gives you the feeling of luxury upholstery, 1st class leather, high quality plastic, old but classy wood like perfume. The feeling this aroma produces is unique and magic, immediately related to luxury and comfort.

I've been looking for that smell for a years with no luck at all, but every time I enter a new car it smells the same or very similar.

Has anyone got a spray or any trick to bring this smell back or keep it for long periods of time?
I use Griots Garage fine leather scent spray. Couple of sprays into the floormats every week keeps it smellin' great!

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      12-24-2018, 01:35 AM   #64
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
Yup. You nailed it, warm Crayon. I'm a fan of Zaino's "Leather in a Bottle". Smear some on a piece of paper, and stick it under the seat. DON'T put it on your Dakota "leather" seats, because that plasticized garbage won't absorb it anyway.
the z10 'leather in a bottle' is constantly sold out here at all retailers in Australia but I managed to get 2 bottles of z9, and 2 days after application, I do like the concoction of z9 mixed with the fading/dry scent of squash especially when the car's interior is heated up on a hot summer day.

since the conditioning element of the z10 is useless on our daokta seats, would the z9 suffice? and does it produce the same popular leathery scent that everyone waxes lyrical about when the brand zaino gets brought up?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #65
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I know what proper leather smells like, and it smells nothing like the plastics rampantly off-gassing in a new car. As G37 and Mercedes have better leather than BMW, apparently, they should smell like tanneries - but no Merc I’ve ridden in smells anything like a tannery. It smells of car . I don’t know what a G37 is, though, they only sell it in a handful of places.
That's because most Mercs have vinyl - aka leatherette seats.
      12-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #66
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I know what proper leather smells like, and it smells nothing like the plastics rampantly off-gassing in a new car. As G37 and Mercedes have better leather than BMW, apparently, they should smell like tanneries - but no Merc I've ridden in smells anything like a tannery. It smells of car . I don't know what a G37 is, though, they only sell it in a handful of places.
That's because most Mercs have vinyl - aka leatherette seats.
Haha yeah if you're in an entry level C class which is very entry level with cheap materials like our F22's. If anyone thinks the F22 is built with quality materials, you're kidding yourselves. My E92 was built much better and the fit and finish of the entire interior was leaps and bounds better than the F22. Don't get me wrong, I love how the F22 drives and it's a fun car, but I miss my E92 335i and I'm considering buying a used one if I come across the right deal. This F22 has been in BMW service at least 10-12 times for squeaks, creaks, rattles, clunks, and a iDrive screen that after 4 visits and replacing the screen and head unit, still shuts off and reboots and they can't figure it out. My E92 has zero problems or irritating noises after 6 years of ownership. Also forgot to mention this cheap leather in the F22 is wearing out too! Problem after problem with this vehicle and I purchased it new and take great care of it. Always scheduled services and I change the oil in between the BMW oil changes for good measure.
Appreciate 0