THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i Conversion Therapy Needed

11-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #23
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeedunt View Post
What mode are you in? I do Sport+ all day everyday, Sport is ok too, but I find Comfort to be completely joyless. (Legal Disclaimer: don't drive into a tree.)
Yeah, I find that sort of ruins the day. I've actually been going back and forth between comfort and the almost unspeakable (to some) Eco on my local, highly congested drives around the 'hood. Spirited driving makes no sense in 25-35 mph traffic, so there's that. On the highway / parkway I go back and forth between Comfort and Sport, but that's not really what I'm asking. I'm primarily interested in hearing what steps those here have taken in order to most closely approximate some of true joy left behind after the switch to electric steering. Then there's AWD and the run-flats and...don't get me started, lol.

What I'm finding, nearly two weeks in, is that the glorious wonders of years and eras past is sort of like thinking about an old girlfriend who you miss. Those times were great, but she's not a viable option anymore...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plynth2697 View Post
I'm primarily interested in hearing what steps those here have taken in order to most closely approximate some of true joy left behind after the switch to electric steering. Then there's AWD and the run-flats and...don't get me started, lol.
I almost hesitate to raise this, as I hear the pain in your "voice". The single best mod I've made was for the steering feel/response...swapping the lower control arms for the M2 version. Turner Motorsports sells the kit and my dealer did the install, setting the alignment spec appropriately to +1 degree of negative camber. The difference is wonderful; I just "think" about the next lane, and I'm there, there is no loose/dead spot at on-center, and the negative camber certainly gives the car a more "planted" feeling in turns. It's not hydraulic feel, but it somehow makes up for quite of bit of that omission.

My hesitation in raising this is that I believe this mod is not compatible with XDrive, unless something has changed since I had this done. Sorry!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #25
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I almost hesitate to raise this, as I hear the pain in your "voice". My hesitation in raising this is that I believe this mod is not compatible with XDrive, unless something has changed since I had this done. Sorry!
If my "taking one for the team" has given you the opportunity to share this great remedy, I'm good with it. My question is, how did you know it was going to work to your satisfaction as this was not a casual purchase?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #26
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
If my "taking one for the team" has given you the opportunity to share this great remedy, I'm good with it. My question is, how did you know it was going to work to your satisfaction as this was not a casual purchase?
I had read prior positive experience recommendations on this forum. I also deduced that, as BMW OEM parts, and that they fit, the basic suspension geometry from 228i to M2 is fundamentally similar, so I expected an outcome directionally similar to M2, and not a negative change. That did not stop my dealer SA from warning that he feared the car would become "darty". I was willing to experiment, as reinstallation of OE parts would not have been that burdensome. As it turned out, the first drive was a major smile-maker with zero regrets and all enjoyment.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #27
Tony88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix

I think a fair amount of your displeasure with steering feel may be coming from those RFT's. I as well have a AWD 2er and came from a RWD E46. I have never for a second missed the steering in the old E46. Both are great and both feel good but it does take a bit of getting used to EPS.

My car came with MPSS and this last summer I ran a new set of MPS4S. The feeling is great and the car goes exactly where I want it. I have never driven on RFT's but I know every fall when I switch to winter tires, I hate the car for a few days and feel like something is wrong because of how crappy the steering feels and reacts.

And then in the spring when I switch back to the summer tires, I almost die because the car actually does exactly what I tell it

I would say replace the tires when you can and then re-evaluate
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #28
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony88 View Post
I think a fair amount of your displeasure with steering feel may be coming from those RFT's. I as well have a AWD 2er and came from a RWD E46. I have never for a second missed the steering in the old E46. Both are great and both feel good but it does take a bit of getting used to EPS.

I would say replace the tires when you can and then re-evaluate
Thanks for your helpful thoughts, Tony88. Your experiences nearly mirror my own by virtue of having a vintage 3 Series in your rear view mirror (pun intended).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony88 View Post
The feeling is great and the car goes exactly where I want it.
That is a perfect summation of the experience I've had with the 128i--precise and nimble. And I would like to get new tires but for the cost right now. If you know anyone interested in low mile RFT's, have I got a deal for them, lol.

What I will say to you and the others who've offered great support and instilled the patience to acquire some perspective, now that I'm three weeks in since purchase, I've found a lot to love. I drove the 240 for a week exclusively before jumping into the 128 for comparison and I was somewhat shocked.

Why was the steering, which I always loved, suddenly so heavy?! Answer, I'd been driving in Comfort Mode almost exclusively. Do I now prefer lighter? Jury's still out on that, but it has given me pause for reconsideration. I opted for Comfort over Sport for local driving due to what I perceived as turbo lag, which is supremely unhelpful.

The power speaks for itself and I'm the idiot who now goes 0-40 down the local roads, thereby extending the spirited driving experience beyond highways. AND I'm getting accustomed to the size and don't find myself "aiming" the car as I first did. There's still a ways to go--including tires--to get completely "there," but think I'm well on my way. It's apples to oranges comparing eras, but can't imagine enjoying any car more than I am this at the same price point...
Appreciate 3
      12-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #29
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Plynth,

It sounds as though the car is growing on you. Good news and good luck. Glad to hear it.

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #30
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn123 View Post
Plynth,

It sounds as though the car is growing on you. Good news and good luck. Glad to hear it.
Thanks so much for the generous words, Unicorn. Re-reading your note from last week, happily my experience continues to mirror your own: "the more I drive it, the more I like it." You're a man of many great cars and I'm certain each one provided a great deal of pleasure in its own unique way. If you or I were Jay Leno, we'd get to hang on to them all, but we're not. So difficult choices needed to be made and lived with and I'd say we've both came up pretty big winners!
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #31
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Get M Performance exhaust and always drive the car in Sport. It would almost be impossible not to fall in love with the car
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #32
Hammy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your helpful thoughts, Tony88. Your experiences nearly mirror my own by virtue of having a vintage 3 Series in your rear view mirror (pun intended).

That is a perfect summation of the experience I've had with the 128i--precise and nimble. And I would like to get new tires but for the cost right now. If you know anyone interested in low mile RFT's, have I got a deal for them, lol.

What I will say to you and the others who've offered great support and instilled the patience to acquire some perspective, now that I'm three weeks in since purchase, I've found a lot to love. I drove the 240 for a week exclusively before jumping into the 128 for comparison and I was somewhat shocked.

Why was the steering, which I always loved, suddenly so heavy?! Answer, I'd been driving in Comfort Mode almost exclusively. Do I now prefer lighter? Jury's still out on that, but it has given me pause for reconsideration. I opted for Comfort over Sport for local driving due to what I perceived as turbo lag, which is supremely unhelpful.

The power speaks for itself and I'm the idiot who now goes 0-40 down the local roads, thereby extending the spirited driving experience beyond highways. AND I'm getting accustomed to the size and don't find myself "aiming" the car as I first did. There's still a ways to go--including tires--to get completely "there," but think I'm well on my way. It's apples to oranges comparing eras, but can't imagine enjoying any car more than I am this at the same price point...
I've got my 2017 M240i X for a couple weeks now and I am also that idiot and loving every minute of it. Every light is like a mini drag race, not really speeding just accelerating with gusto!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #33
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
I've got my 2017 M240i X for a couple weeks now and I am also that idiot and loving every minute of it. Every light is like a mini drag race, not really speeding just accelerating with gusto!
Totally, such is life in the suburbs. Dying to take on one of those kids in their tricked out Celicas but afraid of the noise pollution!!
Appreciate 1