THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum m240i break in complete - some random thoughts

06-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

m240i break in complete - some random thoughts

I recently hit 1200 miles with my m240i, and here is what I've learned:

1. This engine is mad. I did not know what the 7k rpm redline sounded like, but I do now.

2. The car pulls so hard to redline, and to be honest, it's a bit scary to drive. The rear end is way too unstable and the car just dances side to side as I try to maintain a straight line during acceleration. Absolutely needs the M Performance limited-slip differential. It's really kind of silly that BMW didn't include it in the stock configuration for safety reasons, if nothing else.

3. I'm starting to think twice about my decision to go with the m240i over the 230i. Okay, not really since I will be taking it on track and will be getting the LSD ultimately, but I can TOTALLY understand now why someone would go with a 230i over the m240i for street-only use. It's just the smarter choice if you aren't going to bother with the LSD. Even on track, the m240i's power advantage on the straights will be negated without it.

4. I'm just glad I have another DD, because I'd be getting tickets left and right if I drove this thing every day. After taking 2nd gear to redline and immediately letting off after shifting into 3rd, I glanced down and saw the speedo dropping back down past the 70mph mark. I immediately stabbed the brakes and swung a right because I was so nervous a cop might have seen! LOL!

5. I now need to convince my wife that another 2-door BMW (RWD 230i or 430i) w/ the 8-speed auto is a practical DD replacement for my Volvo XC70 here in the Midwest.

Think that's about it for now...

Last edited by CP911; 06-05-2018 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Glad you seem to like it. I am equally impressed with my M235i. Top down, moving through the gears of the 6MT, snaking along desolate country roads is an absolutely sublime experience. I originally thought I'd be satisfied with a 228 / 230 with the 8 AT, and I probably would have been "satisfied", but I sure am glad I chose my M235 instead.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Congrats on getting it through break-in and resisting the temptation to ignore the recommendations in the owner's manual. I know that wasn't easy! I believe in going by the manufacturer's guidelines as well. If nothing else, you have that peace of mind that you did what was recommended.

It seems it took 5 months to complete the break-in - is that correct?! What are doing, keeping it for the next guy?

As far as being almost uncontrollable during acceleration, are you talking about with the "nannies" off? To me, LSD or no, the traction control and stability control should be keeping things safe enough, unless you turned everything off purposefully. One of my main complaints with this car was that it was not wild enough. I had to work at it just to get the rear to slide out or to get some decent wheel spin on a hard 1-2 shift. In comparison, 2nd gear wheelspin in cars like Camaros and Mustangs is fundamental, even with all driving aids on.

I think once you get that thing on the track, you will utilize every bit of power that it has. You won't be saying the power is negated because it's hard to control, that's for sure.

But I do agree on one point - the LSD should have been standard equipment.
      06-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Which tires do you have on the car? Assuming they're the MPSS tires, they can get a bit greasy in really hot summer temps. They're super grippy in the 65 to 80 degree range though. Below 50 and they're hockey pucks.

But yes, I totally understand what you're saying about the rear end sliding side to side on hard acceleration. In most cases, 1st gear is pretty worthless on full throttle. In 2nd, I see a descent amount of spin, especially as the turbo really goes full tilt. In an NA car, you usually get spin on the initial punch. With these I6 turbos, the spin (at least in my car) is more apparent as the boost builds. It's not uncommon for my M235 to be spinning the tires a bit from 4500-6500rpms. Even then though, it's manageable.

And yes, the MP LSD makes a HUGE difference in managing spin and control. See my recent review of the LSD install after over 2 years of ownership. It's like adding a ton of weight over the axle and much wider tires. The difference in traction and control is immense. The car feels abundantly more stable. I drive almost entirely in DSC Off and have no concerns. The rear is so much easier to control when the tires are spinning. 1st gear traction is also significantly better and I use quite a bit more throttle and launch a lot harder.

Lastly, you'll get use to the power. The car will also eventually turn you into a BMW prick when it comes to driving on the highway. The stability of the car at high speeds and its ability to generate speed will make you drive fast. Promise.
      06-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Lastly, you'll get use to the power. The car will also eventually turn you into a BMW prick when it comes to driving on the highway. The stability of the car at high speeds and its ability to generate speed will make you drive fast. Promise.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
I feel like giving myself the one finger salute for the way I have been forced to drive this little muscle car.

Its way to easy to get into "go to jail" territory if you are not watchful of the speedometer.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Replacing 240/w 230

Getting a 230i won’t help. I’ve had mine for a year and been pulled over three times. Let go once and tickets other two times. I’m retired so don’t even drive daily to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

The M240i is a great car!

230i with Dinan worked out for me as a fun DD. Tried the M2 for a few months, but thought it was not the best DD for my commute.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Congrats on getting it through break-in and resisting the temptation to ignore the recommendations in the owner's manual. I know that wasn't easy! I believe in going by the manufacturer's guidelines as well. If nothing else, you have that peace of mind that you did what was recommended.

It seems it took 5 months to complete the break-in - is that correct?! What are doing, keeping it for the next guy?

As far as being almost uncontrollable during acceleration, are you talking about with the "nannies" off? To me, LSD or no, the traction control and stability control should be keeping things safe enough, unless you turned everything off purposefully. One of my main complaints with this car was that it was not wild enough. I had to work at it just to get the rear to slide out or to get some decent wheel spin on a hard 1-2 shift. In comparison, 2nd gear wheelspin in cars like Camaros and Mustangs is fundamental, even with all driving aids on.

I think once you get that thing on the track, you will utilize every bit of power that it has. You won't be saying the power is negated because it's hard to control, that's for sure.

But I do agree on one point - the LSD should have been standard equipment.
LOL. The crap winter weather lasted forever this year, so the Volvo had been getting most of the action until more recently.

As for the nannies being on or off, I was mainly referring to my experience when accelerating in 70-80 degree weather while in Sport+ (Dynamic Traction Control active). Sport+ allows more power to make it to the wheels i.e. more wheel spin and sideways action. The open diff very obviously causes a sketchy ride when getting on the throttle hard or accelerating briskly on bumpier roads while in Sport+. I know when DTC is active, DSC is still supposed to catch me when I overdo it, but I simply don't trust it enough for public roads and therefore I end up lifting off the throttle instead of enjoying everything the B58 has to offer.

In Comfort or Sport mode where the nannies are fully on, it is leaving too much power on the table as DSC intervenes.

I'm all for a wild ride, but I'd like for any and all sideways action to be induced by me and not by an unintentional 1-wheel burnout. The LSD is the only way I'm going to get the predictability and maximum power delivery I am after.
      06-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Just be aware, the extra traction and control of the LSD makes the car "feel" a bit slower because of the reduced drama. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Which tires do you have on the car? Assuming they're the MPSS tires, they can get a bit greasy in really hot summer temps. They're super grippy in the 65 to 80 degree range though. Below 50 and they're hockey pucks.
Yes, MPSS. I agree that they feel greasy in this kind of weather, but then again we're also talking about 300+ whp in a RWD car with 245 section tires. Don't know any 245 tire that will keep all those ponies in check under full throttle.

Interestingly enough, I just installed my new wheels the other day wrapped in Pilot Sport 4S rubber. 255 in the rear and wow, do they make a difference in grip! I only put ~5 miles on them though as I've decided to sell them to fund the LSD, which I feel is a more pressing need at the moment. I was still curious and wanted to make sure they fit properly without any rubbing, noises, etc. They ended up fitting flawlessly with no issues, and once the oil temp was up, I gave it a couple of hard pulls to see what the tires did. The performance difference they made was huge and quite unexpected compared to the MPSS. The road was even damp and the tires were obviously not worn in enough yet, but they stuck under hard throttle and surprised me quite a bit. The ride was more supple and quieter as well compared to MPSS. Michelin has a winner, I think.
      06-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post

I'm all for a wild ride, but I'd like for any and all sideways action to be induced by me and not by an unintentional 1-wheel burnout.
Hmm. If I'm cornering at the limit of traction, I find it very easy, predictable and a lot of fun to induce oversteer with the throttle in Sport+. That's compared to my previous car, an 01 Z06. Maybe it's your tires. I find the Pirelli allseason runflats to be exceptionally reliable at the limit (unlike, say, the Michelin A/S3 I had on the 'vette, whose breakaway was abrupt and rather unpredictable).

Or maybe you're trying to provoke oversteer from well below the traction limit. Can't say I would ever try that, or imagine why I would want to do that.
      06-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #12
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Those skinny little tires at the back really let the car down, it should have come with an LSD and been shod with 275s... but BMW clearly didn't want it outperforming the Civic M2
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #13
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by smchuck View Post
Getting a 230i won’t help. I’ve had mine for a year and been pulled over three times. Let go once and tickets other two times. I’m retired so don’t even drive daily to work.
I got stopped for the first time ever after getting mine. Cop asked "what was that", I responded "just me being stupid". Let me off with a warning.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #14
B58togo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, MPSS. I agree that they feel greasy in this kind of weather, but then again we're also talking about 300+ whp in a RWD car with 245 section tires. Don't know any 245 tire that will keep all those ponies in check under full throttle.

Interestingly enough, I just installed my new wheels the other day wrapped in Pilot Sport 4S rubber. 255 in the rear and wow, do they make a difference in grip! I only put ~5 miles on them though as I've decided to sell them to fund the LSD, which I feel is a more pressing need at the moment. I was still curious and wanted to make sure they fit properly without any rubbing, noises, etc. They ended up fitting flawlessly with no issues, and once the oil temp was up, I gave it a couple of hard pulls to see what the tires did. The performance difference they made was huge and quite unexpected compared to the MPSS. The road was even damp and the tires were obviously not worn in enough yet, but they stuck under hard throttle and surprised me quite a bit. The ride was more supple and quieter as well compared to MPSS. Michelin has a winner, I think.
I’d bet the big improvement came from going from the 245 to the 255, not from the PSS to the PS4S. I just switched to 255’s, but stuck to PSS and noticed an improvement in hook. The 255 measured close to 20mm wider than the old 245. Michelin states the 4S was .18 seconds quicker than the PSS around a dry 1.6 mile road course, so that won’t equate to any measurable improvement in first/second gear grip, all else remaining equal.
      06-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #15
petegtsv10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i convertible

Quote:
LOL. The crap winter weather lasted forever this year, so the Volvo had been getting most of the action until more recently.

As for the nannies being on or off, I was mainly referring to my experience when accelerating in 70-80 degree weather while in Sport+ (Dynamic Traction Control active). Sport+ allows more power to make it to the wheels i.e. more wheel spin and sideways action. The open diff very obviously causes a sketchy ride when getting on the throttle hard or accelerating briskly on bumpier roads while in Sport+. I know when DTC is active, DSC is still supposed to catch me when I overdo it, but I simply don't trust it enough for public roads and therefore I end up lifting off the throttle instead of enjoying everything the B58 has to offer.

In Comfort or Sport mode where the nannies are fully on, it is leaving too much power on the table as DSC

I'm all for a wild ride, but I'd like for any and all sideways action to be induced by me and not by an unintentional 1-wheel burnout. The LSD is the only way I'm going to get the predictability and maximum power delivery I am after.
There is only one shop I would trust my car to do the LSD and it's not too far from you. They do have an enclosed trailer, too. Contact me if you want more info. I'm not sure what forum rules allow me to say here.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #16
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
I’d bet the big improvement came from going from the 245 to the 255, not from the PSS to the PS4S. I just switched to 255’s, but stuck to PSS and noticed an improvement in hook. The 255 measured close to 20mm wider than the old 245. Michelin states the 4S was .18 seconds quicker than the PSS around a dry 1.6 mile road course, so that won’t equate to any measurable improvement in first/second gear grip, all else remaining equal.
I think you are right. Wider tire is helping for sure with grip. I do think the Pilot Sport 4S is quieter and has a more supple ride. I went from 18" to 19" wheels with a shorter tire profile and I'd say the comfort and ride quality has improved substantially, which is the exact opposite of what I was anticipating. It could be the wider tires as well contributing to the improvement in comfort by adding more cushion through a larger contact patch??? I don't know for sure, but either way, I am impressed with this new tire.
      06-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

I promise you, adding the LSD feels like adding wider tires out back. I used to complain about the 245s all the time because of the traction issues. With the LSD, there is still some spin, but not near as bad and there's a lot more forward momentum.

I do plan on going with the MP4S next year as my MPSS tires will be done in the fall.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #18
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
Or maybe you're trying to provoke oversteer from well below the traction limit. Can't say I would ever try that, or imagine why I would want to do that.
That is the issue - I am not trying to provoke oversteer at all. I am simply trying to keep it in a straight line while accelerating under WOT. Do not want the unpredictable oversteer when I'm just keeping the wheel straight.
      06-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #19
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That is the issue - I am not trying to provoke oversteer at all. I am simply trying to keep it in a straight line while accelerating under WOT. Do not want the unpredictable oversteer when I'm just keeping the wheel straight.
Ah, now I see. Sorry.

I guess I would never think of going to WOT in the M240i just for the fun of it because the acceleration is so pathetic compared to my bikes. To me the throttle is mainly another, more fun way of steering the car.
      06-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #20
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Funny, I was just told that I drive more aggressively in my 240 than I did in my previous car.

I responded by saying that I don't drive more aggressively per-se, but with the extra acceleration, I just get through the 1st gap faster, which puts me in a position to find the next gap sooner (and the gap after that, and the gap after that...)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 05:41 AM   #21
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Now if only I could figure out what WOT stood for. A quick search tells me that it is World of Tanks!! Or maybe an alternate spelling of 'what', usually British. I will go with World of Tanks. The imagine of BMW pricks in tanks tooling down the highway weaving in and out at breakneck speed yelling 'wot' is not comforting at any hour of the day, but especially not early in the morning.
First rule of good writing: obscure abbreviations are a a red flag of prickery.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #22
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

My back end slides side to side under hard acceleration with the 228i. I can only imagine it's much greater with the 6 cylinder.
Appreciate 0