THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Alarm issues on F23

05-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i 2008

Alarm issues on F23

Hi guys,

Its the 2nd time this happens that I am sitting outside and all of a sudden my cars alarm system goes off. Both times I though someone touched my key but found it just laying inside on a table. There was no one near the car or no one touched it.

It seems to happen on rainy days.

Let me know if anyone else has this issue or if you know what can cause it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I had the same issue on my Honda Odyssey (not my BMW though). It turned out to be a door seal. We never noticed any water inside, but apparently it leaked just enough to trip the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I had a similar issue - they had to replace some sensor I think in the engine bay. I'll try and remember to dig through my records. It was very annoying for a few weeks, then a nightmare for the dealer since I had replaced my amp and they needed the stock one to flash the new sensor into the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I had a similar issue - they had to replace some sensor I think in the engine bay. I'll try and remember to dig through my records. It was very annoying for a few weeks, then a nightmare for the dealer since I had replaced my amp and they needed the stock one to flash the new sensor into the system.
Yes i would certainly appreciate it!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

there have been reports of interior sensors doing it as well. in my case, i'm sure i was hip-dialing the fob button. i glued it inoperable and had no more trouble.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
there have been reports of interior sensors doing it as well. in my case, i'm sure i was hip-dialing the fob button. i glued it inoperable and had no more trouble.
This happens when my key is on the table and now one touched it and no one touched my car.

I suspect the rain going in as culprit. Now to find from where...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Guys just had more incidents now. There is no rain and my cars alarm went off this morning 4 times.

I am so shy from my neighbours now. For now i am keeping my car unlocked.

Is there a way to lock the car without engaging the alarm. I really need help until i bring it to the dealer!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl128_25 View Post
Guys just had more incidents now. There is no rain and my cars alarm went off this morning 4 times.

Is there a way to lock the car without engaging the alarm. I really need help until i bring it to the dealer!
If you haven't already done so, switch off the motion and tilt sensor - you press the lock button again within 10 seconds after the vehicle is initially locked, confirmed by the LED staying lit for 2 seconds, then continuing to flash.

If that isn't enough, use the key in the remote to manually lock the door, without using the remote itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:

If you haven't already done so, switch off the motion and tilt sensor - you press the lock button again within 10 seconds after the vehicle is initially locked, confirmed by the LED staying lit for 2 seconds, then continuing to flash.
I will try it now! Thank you so much!!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
If that isn't enough, use the key in the remote to manually lock the door (squeeze the button on the remote by the key ring to remove the key), without using the remote itself.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If that isn't enough, use the key in the remote to manually lock the door (squeeze the button on the remote by the key ring to remove the key), without using the remote itself.
Yes it did work! Im not sure if you saw but i had posted another post regarding window issues that i am. When i use the big button for the 4 windows to come up after the operation of the convertible top randomly a window goes back up or down. I am thinking that something seems to happen when i lock the car with the window that is sounding the alarm. Not idea what it could be. I tried the reset of the window but did not work.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes it did work! Im not sure if you saw but i had posted another post regarding window issues that i am. When i use the big button for the 4 windows to come up after the operation of the convertible top randomly a window goes back up or down. I am thinking that something seems to happen when i lock the car with the window that is sounding the alarm. Not idea what it could be. I tried the reset of the window but did not work.
I am sure you must have mentioned this, but is your car stock? Have you done any coding to it lately?

And what year is this car?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #13
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am sure you must have mentioned this, but is your car stock? Have you done any coding to it lately?

The car is stock and no modification has been done. Its a 2018 230i Xdrive Convertible.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The car is stock and no modification has been done. Its a 2018 230i Xdrive Convertible.
Are you out of warranty? I would say a trip to the dealer is absolutely warranted. I would recommend that - and it may sound stupid - but video the window behavior so if it doesn't do it in front of the dealer they still have a reference point.

You definitely have either a sensor issue or convertible top control unit is going bad. In the F23, and I learnt this while flirting around with the Smart Top module, the convertible top unit (I may not be using the right terminology but it is the unit placed behind the rear passenger armrest panel) governs quite a number of things, including windows, side-view mirrors etc.

My first smart top installation was, unfortunately, problematic. The unit wasn't seated correctly (as it runs in series with the top control unit) and I started noticing some odd behavior with alarms, windows and side view mirrors. Alarm went off on its own once, right after the installation. I was curious, and actually wanted to uninstall the smarttop unit, since nothing like that had happened before the installation, so opened the panel up to uninstall. Lo and behold, I hadn't seated the unit properly! Fixed that, and it has been close to two months with perfect operation every time.

Anyway, take it to the dealer. I doubt it is the sensor operation since your windows are acting wonky as well, and the randomness of that tells me that there might be a "something on its ways out" problem, and if it's the top unit, you definitely don't want it failing with the top down

Edit: I realize my story is anecdotal, and absolutely not technical, but there are some parallels with your issues, so I thought it is worth mentioning, since the top control unit is responsible for so much regarding the windows, and in my case, the alarm going off as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #15
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you out of warranty? I would say a trip to the dealer is absolutely warranted. I would recommend that - and it may sound stupid - but video the window behavior so if it doesn't do it in front of the dealer they still have a reference point.

You definitely have either a sensor issue or convertible top control unit is going bad. In the F23, and I learnt this while flirting around with the Smart Top module, the convertible top unit (I may not be using the right terminology but it is the unit placed behind the rear passenger armrest panel) governs quite a number of things, including windows, side-view mirrors etc.

My first smart top installation was, unfortunately, problematic. The unit wasn't seated correctly (as it runs in series with the top control unit) and I started noticing some odd behavior with alarms, windows and side view mirrors. Alarm actually went off on its own once, right after the installation. I was curious, and actually wanted to uninstall the smarttop unit, since nothing like that had happened before the installation, so opened the panel up to uninstall. Lo and behold, I hadn't seated the unit properly! Fixed that, and it has been close to two months with perfect operation every time.

Anyway, take it to the dealer. I doubt it is the sensor operation since your windows are acting wonky as well, and the randomness of that tells me that there might be a "something on its ways out" problem.
Thanks alot for your explanation and this would indeed make alot of sense. I will take an appointment and keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #16
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My first smart top installation was, unfortunately, problematic. The unit wasn't seated correctly (as it runs in series with the top control unit) and I started noticing some odd behavior with alarms, windows and side view mirrors. Alarm actually went off on its own once, right after the installation. I was curious, and actually wanted to uninstall the smarttop unit, since nothing like that had happened before the installation, so opened the panel up to uninstall. Lo and behold, I hadn't seated the unit properly! Fixed that, and it has been close to two months with perfect operation every time.

Anyway, take it to the dealer. I doubt it is the sensor operation since your windows are acting wonky as well, and the randomness of that tells me that there might be a "something on its ways out" problem.
Thanks alot for your explanation and this would indeed make alot of sense. I will take an appointment and keep you guys posted.
Absolutely keep us posted; alarm going off in the middle of the night is my worst nightmare (first world nightmares!). Given my neighborhood, I would haaate to be "that guy" haha, so I understand your pain.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #17
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely keep us posted; alarm going off in the middle of the night is my worst nightmare (first world nightmares!). Given my neighborhood, I would haaate to be "that guy" haha, so I understand your pain.
Tried to take an appointment this week with the dealer with no luck. In the meantime, I used the OBD and saw that there 30 faults stored. Not sure if this helps in finding the culprit. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #18
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

My first impression of all the module errors is a low battery voltage either due to lack of use of the car or a failing battery. This is assuming there has been no aftermarket decive added to the vehicle that is plugged into any of the communication buses, such as the CAN bus.
Appreciate 0