THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anybody have any intel on new inventory?

05-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Anybody have any intel on new inventory?

New M240s are seriously dwindling in dealer lots. I make this statement based on my daily review of Autotrader and the way vehicles I have saved are dropping like flies, pretty much daily. I finally really pushed aggressively on one deal, only to learn that it sold over Memorial Day weekend... I knew it was a possibility, but I was trying to get the guy down so had to play it cool... Well, it backfired.

Anyhow, occasionally people on here make comments that imply that they have insider knowledge. Does anyone have a solid idea of when more cars will reach US shores, now that Munich has reopened?

The only clue I have is that one of my local dealers mentioned that they had 53 vehicles ready to land just as shit started to hit the fan, and they were "turned back" (didn't get details on where/when that happened, surely not at the US port, maybe in Germany at the port, dunno). And, he said that he expects that "the first week in June" they will be overwhelmed with inventory.

Now - this guy had a vested interest in getting me to wait, because he doesn't have what I want - so I took that with a grain of salt.

Very curious whether others have any additional, or superior, intel.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
HolyBull
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I just picked up my 230i this past weekend and what the CA told me was everything is regional and this is a low volume car. He was saying that on the West Coast most of the dealers are using their allocations for convertibles since this is going to be the last small practical convertible.
Appreciate 1
j2dad5389372.00
      05-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

The M240i is a such a niche car dealers don't usually stock it. And when they do, they stock a single one probably in automatic and optioned all weird.

If you're buying new why not just order it? It's much easier and you get a much better deal because you get exactly what you want and nothing you don't want.
Appreciate 1
j2dad5389372.00
      05-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBull View Post
I just picked up my 230i this past weekend and what the CA told me was everything is regional and this is a low volume car. He was saying that on the West Coast most of the dealers are using their allocations for convertibles since this is going to be the last small practical convertible.
Thank you for sharing what you know! I am searching nationally, willing to pay to ship (within reason; CA is borderline in terms of whether it would be worthwhile from a cost/benefit perspective). Good tip on convertibles. There are generally more convertibles than coupes. Around here that is all I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
The M240i is a such a niche car dealers don't usually stock it. And when they do, they stock a single one probably in automatic and optioned all weird.

If you're buying new why not just order it? It's much easier and you get a much better deal because you get exactly what you want and nothing you don't want.
There are a fair number of them in stock at dealers across the country, although certainly fewer than other models. I've seen several convertible M240s locally, no coupes. I have a particular set of options I want (it's frustrating how many are not equipped with the H/K sound system, considering how amazingly bad the base system is).

I've been considering ordering. However:
1) I'll get a better discount on inventory.
2) I cannot order right now; ordering is shut down, and no one knows when it will reopen (possibly not until 2021 ordering guide is released).
3) There are some serious incentives this month ($3750 rebate + 0.9% financing). Hopefully those persist into June, as it's looking very unlikely that I'll find what I want this month. But the only guess I've heard on when ordering will reopen is mid July.
4) Patience is not a strong suit of mine...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Phillymb75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 M50 - 20 M240i vert 6mt

I ordered in December, car was built in February and has been sitting at the port in South Carolina since the middle of April. I was told there was a huge backlog there as I'm sure there were at other ports where ships were unloaded but the cars couldn't be processed due to COVID. In Mid April BMW predicted that my car would be there until at least June and it seems they were correct.

On the financing front, the incentives ($3,750) have not changed since December, I'm hoping the .9% holds and the incentives increase next month when I finaizie the paperwork.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Sounds like you will get around 6-7% regardless, based on what you have mentioned.

Incentives could very well hang around, but to be honest, you will lose more than that buying a 2020, instead of a 2021.

Ordering probably end of July - will get by October , if ports open up.

Patience I can't help you with lol...but getting exactly what you want is pretty nice. Esp. red interior which is tough to find on lots

This just popped up local, could ask manager about if interested. (Aaron Mason) RWD, auto with White on White. Good guy, give you all info on car etc.

https://www.richmondbmwmidlothian.co...43b0900d87.htm

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 05-27-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillymb75 View Post
I ordered in December, car was built in February and has been sitting at the port in South Carolina since the middle of April. I was told there was a huge backlog there as I'm sure there were at other ports where ships were unloaded but the cars couldn't be processed due to COVID. In Mid April BMW predicted that my car would be there until at least June and it seems they were correct.

On the financing front, the incentives ($3,750) have not changed since December, I'm hoping the .9% holds and the incentives increase next month when I finaizie the paperwork.
Thank you for the info... How frustrating for you!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Sounds like you will get around 6-7% regardless, based on what you have mentioned.

Incentives could very well hang around, but to be honest, you will lose more than that buying a 2020, instead of a 2021.

Patience I can't help you with lol...but getting exactly what you want is pretty nice. Esp. red interior which is tough to find on lots

This just popped up local, could ask manager about if interested. (Aaron Mason) RWD, auto with White on White. Good guy, give you all info on car etc.

Hmm interesting point about 2021 vs. 2020 - I assume you mean that if I sell/trade the car in, say, 2026, I'd be selling a 2021 vs a 2020.

I'm not sure Oyster is for me, but I would consider it. Also wondering what its story is - looks like maybe a demo/loaner? Looking at the CarFax, the mileage appears to be 3XXX but car was never titled. BUT in any case... it doesn't look like this car has the H/K sound system, which is a must-have for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
Quote:

Hmm interesting point about 2021 vs. 2020 - I assume you mean that if I sell/trade the car in, say, 2026, I'd be selling a 2021 vs a 2020.

I'm not sure Oyster is for me, but I would consider it. Also wondering what its story is - looks like maybe a demo/loaner? Looking at the CarFax, the mileage appears to be 3XXX but car was never titled. BUT in any case... it doesn't look like this car has the H/K sound system, which is a must-have for me.
The HK sound system is absolutely a bust... but degrees better than the ancient relic of a system they put in as standard.

Have you looked into the Boston market? Also, for some reason, Richmond VA... both these areas have extremely volatile 2-series pricing, ergo opportunities for good negotiations. Don't ask me how I know this

Also, just to confirm, since everyone is so hung up on "u cAn 0nLy geT 6-7% ofF" have you tried looking into what leasehackr folks say? 6-7% is an insult, but maybe I am just an entitled ass haha

When I was shopping I got better, though a lot less wordy, advice from BimmerFest forums.

One word of advice: leasehackr has turned more like r/askcarsales these days, where a bunch of car salesmen and brokers are pushing a unified narrative.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #10
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
The HK sound system is absolutely a bust... but degrees better than the ancient relic of a system they put in as standard.

Have you looked into the Boston market? Also, for some reason, Richmond VA... both these areas have extremely volatile 2-series pricing, ergo opportunities for good negotiations. Don't ask me how I know this

Also, just to confirm, since everyone is so hung up on "u cAn 0nLy geT 6-7% ofF" have you tried looking into what leasehackr folks say? 6-7% is an insult, but maybe I am just an entitled ass haha

When I was shopping I got better, though a lot less wordy, advice from BimmerFest forums.

One word of advice: leasehackr has turned more like r/askcarsales these days, where a bunch of car salesmen and brokers are pushing a unified narrative.
Yes, I have been searching nationally, no distance restriction, and have talked to dealers all over the place from New England to the west coast. Seriously at least 30-40 dealers.

I haven't gotten anyone to go better than 6% on a NEW (non-loaner/demo) inventory M240 w/automatic anywhere in the country. It's been tough going. I got 1 offer of >9% off on a manual. And it is not for lack of trying.

Not sure if they don't feel the need because of the incentives or what. Actually I do NOT think that's it, because I have seen way better discounts on the 330 when I was also shopping that (and it has better rebates). I have been very surprised, relative to past car shopping experiences.

ETA: Oh, and re: H/K - It isn't fantastic but it's good enough. Have it in my 440 and had it in my prior 335. (Have read that it is not as good in the 2 series, fewer speakers if I recall.) Nonetheless, I was utterly shocked when I recently test drove a 330i that did not have the H/K sound system. Wow, is that bad. Cannot believe BMW lets something like that leave their factory.

Last edited by Wyldstyle; 05-27-2020 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I have been searching nationally, no distance restriction, and have talked to dealers all over the place from New England to the west coast. Seriously at least 30-40 dealers.

I haven't gotten anyone to go better than 6% on a NEW (non-loaner/demo) inventory M240 w/automatic anywhere in the country. It's been tough going. I got 1 offer of >9% off on a manual. And it is not for lack of trying.

Not sure if they don't feel the need because of the incentives or what. Actually I do NOT think that's it, because I have seen way better discounts on the 330 when I was also shopping that (and it has better rebates). I have been very surprised, relative to past car shopping experiences.
To be honest, they know that anyone who is looking right now is desperate for a car. And if someone has the luxury to look for sporty coupes in a time of crisis, they have the luxury to pay a few thousand more.

This is why you are having issues. In fact if you loom at the Z4 M40i right now, despite the car's lack of popularity, they are becoming harder to deal with on this car. A friend is looking into one and was surprised that the dealerships seems a lot less motivated to negotiate... but then again he is in MN and we don't negotiate here haha

I am shopping around for *ahem* something as well a very special car... and I have found a very similar situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, they know that anyone who is looking right now is desperate for a car. And if someone has the luxury to look for sporty coupes in a time of crisis, they have the luxury to pay a few thousand more.

This is why you are having issues. In fact if you loom at the Z4 M40i right now, despite the car's lack of popularity, they are becoming harder to deal with on this car. A friend is looking into one and was surprised that the dealerships seems a lot less motivated to negotiate... but then again he is in MN and we don't negotiate here haha

I am shopping around for *ahem* something as well a very special car... and I have found a very similar situation.
Really interesting perspective.

The most progress I have made is when I tell them I have over $2k in remaining lease payments, and that I will only buy now if it makes $ sense - that angle helps. (I leave out how the 0.9% APR saves me more than that $2k over the life of a 5-yr loan, compared with a more typical rate like 4%...) This also tells them I not desperate and have time to wait. I just have to hide my impatient side!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #13
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

Last December (hardly convertible buying
weather), there were only 2 new
M240i convertibles in the general
south central PA area with manual
transmissions, (and almost no others
in bordering states, either). They were
both at the same Lancaster dealer.
We bought the Alpine White one on
the spot (with a big incentive discount),
and someone else bought the other one
within a week. At that time of year you
could order what you want, but if you see
something pretty close to exactly what
you want, and it’s not a common
model or spec, better seriously consider
snatching it up or you will probably
regret not doing so.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #14
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Really interesting perspective.

The most progress I have made is when I tell them I have over $2k in remaining lease payments, and that I will only buy now if it makes $ sense - that angle helps. (I leave out how the 0.9% APR saves me more than that $2k over the life of a 5-yr loan, compared with a more typical rate like 4%...) This also tells them I not desperate and have time to wait. I just have to hide my impatient side!
It is the fact that you are looking at a mid-range performance car, in a time of crisis, that tips them off that despite what you say, you have money to spend on the right car. You hiding impatience isn't the give-away here; they know instantly that you are discerning and will spend money on the right car. So, a salesperson senses that quickly, can sense that he may not have your "perfect car" and at that point, with nothing to lose, he makes his price just attractive enough, and sticks to it.

Try this, as it has worked for me before, show interest and be really into the car. Call it your "dream car", make them invest their time in you. Call them up twice. Test drive the car twice, thrice. Once a salesperson is invested in you, then they start giving in, especially for performance/luxury oriented cars. This worked for me with an SQ5 I leased a few years ago. God that was a hard find! It was prime season as well.

Before Corona it was easy to start with 9% off on these cars. However I bought mine at 33% off MSRP, a late brand new 2018 AWD convertible, loaded, in early 2019. I can show you the deal papers hah. It was INSANE! The negotiation was all over the phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #15
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Not hung up on 6-7%, she just mentioned all she could get off. I said 10% plus rebates or I'd wait for 2021. (I had 10% on another one but decided to wait)

Richmond (where I am) does have movement on BMW, and both dealers pretty good.

I've had fine luck calling and discussing wholesale numbers/dealer rebates etc. I sold cars for years, there is no "trick" They are only going to go so low regardless of what you do...its free time for dealer since most are low salary + commission.

I'd take the "Im talking to a few dealers" angle. If the money is there, they will know it (some have better regional incentives) Tell them if they are interested in 10% + incentives, call you back

Also, ask for and talk to General New Cars sales manager, or wasting your time IMO
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:01 PM   #16
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not hung up on 6-7%, she just mentioned all she could get off. I said 10% plus rebates or I'd wait for 2021. (I had 10% on another one but decided to wait)

Richmond (where I am) does have movement on BMW, and both dealers pretty good.

I've had fine luck calling and discussing wholesale numbers/dealer rebates etc. I sold cars for years, there is no "trick" They are only going to go so low regardless of what you do...its free time for dealer since most are low salary + commission.

I'd take the "Im talking to a few dealers" angle. If the money is there, they will know it (some have better regional incentives) Tell them if they are interested in 10% + incentives, call you back

Also, ask for and talk to General New Cars sales manager, or wasting your time IMO
"I am talking to other dealers" is exactly what the OP is doing; that's her strategy. However no one is interested in selling the OP a 2-series car at lower than 6-7%. Why? Because they all know that customers like OP have the luxury to shop for performance oriented cars, even in the midst of a pandemic. Every salesperson at any of these dealerships understands OPs profile.

Here is what I know about car salespeople: they are colluding even when they don't know it themselves. They are very good at identifying a demographic, especially for brands like BMW and Porsche (the accessible luxury/performance). OP, given the current climate, is very easy to spot. That's why every dealership she has dealt with has a "low investment" strategy with her: she asks for "how much you can take off?" And they say "about a buck fiddy" and OP goes off "talking to other dealerships", who tell her the same thing, because as easy she is to spot, they know that every other dealership is telling her the same thing as well. Dude, they know that OP will cave in within a week or so.

You have worked in car sales, you know this.

Wyldstyle in a situation like this what I would do is make the salesperson invest their time in you. Don't go in "knowing everything". Go in dumb. Go in a few days a months and "learn something new". Let them run the numbers a million times... take your spouse in, and then a friend in, and rest drive the damn thing a few times. Let the salesperson "teach you alllll the wonders of this M240i", and then when the end of the month starts dawning start ramping up. Usually best to start this process in the middle of the month. Do it with multiple dealerships; fall in love with the car and make them invest their time in you. This is the only solid way I see them going below this average 6-7% off MSRP in this shitty market, as they know that those who are looking for performance oriented BMWs in this shitty shitty climate have only so much patience and all that 0.9% potential loan money burning a hole in their pocket... because, really, only those who can truly afford are actually in the market, and they will cave.

Edit: I must add, I absolutely agree with what you said about 10%+rebates! And you are right, if this trend continues, might as well wait for 2021. That's solid advice.

Edit 2: one more point guys! One of the other reasons that the OP is having issues getting huge discounts, as we were getting in the last two years, is this: it is now dead certain that the 2-series is an enthusiast's indulgence. Dealerships are milking the left over 2-series inventory, and frankly not getting anymore allocations for it since the 2-series has never sold well. Actually I don't think dealerships are getting anymore allocations in the first place, and they know that the leftover inventories will be ravaged by enthusiasts. All the cars stuck at 6-7%? They will eventually be sold at just that, 6-7% off MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:12 AM   #17
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Its summer, cars sales are down by over 30%, luxury lines higher. I got 10% plus rebates recently for wife on 240. (decided to wait on 2021, incentives will stay IMO) They not holding 2 series I guess ?

They don't think she's serious, or have other folks interested/calling them. You are making leaps that have nothing to do with the dealer and/or manager.

She shouldn't be talking to salesperson if she is.

OP - Tell them you have found a few that fit your wants, shopping price because low sales and summer. Only talk to Manager. Make sure they know you are not just "calling" around. If you find one in Richmond, let me now, I'll get you 10% plus rebates...tell them you have 7% or more, looking for great summer deal...dont need to "play game" on phone. Cheapest cars we ever sold were ones that called manager directly. (BTW dealer rebates are up also, 10% may not be enough right now)

But I would just wait, not like the car you want is out there, so would 10% even do it for a car you only kinda want ?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #18
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Its summer, cars sales are down by over 30%, luxury lines higher. I got 10% plus rebates recently for wife on 240. (decided to wait on 2021, incentives will stay IMO) They not holding 2 series I guess ?

They don't think she's serious, or have other folks interested/calling them. You are making leaps that have nothing to do with the dealer and/or manager.

She shouldn't be talking to salesperson if she is.

OP - Tell them you have found a few that fit your wants, shopping price because low sales and summer. Only talk to Manager. Make sure they know you are not just "calling" around. If you find one in Richmond, let me now, I'll get you 10% plus rebates...tell them you have 7% or more, looking for great summer deal...dont need to "play game" on phone. Cheapest cars we ever sold were ones that called manager directly. (BTW dealer rebates are up also, 10% may not be enough right now)

But I would just wait, not like the car you want is out there, so would 10% even do it for a car you only kinda want ?

Cheers
I agree with waiting actually. This is a shit time to buy a car.

Edit: Actually, a shit time to buy this particular car.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #19
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

That actually may be helping/hurting her issue. Inventories are low, as is sales. Used cars are where the best deals are at right now, auction houses have triple inventories over last year same time.

As a rule this pulls new car prices down, but in this case, dealerships know supply is low, even if demand is lower also.

Speaking of, nice ride, get under $30K...sweet...and I have NEVER seen that color combo...pretty cool and different..has HK lol

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=271791268
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #20
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That actually may be helping/hurting her issue. Inventories are low, as is sales. Used cars are where the best deals are at right now, auction houses have triple inventories over last year same time.

As a rule this pulls new car prices down, but in this case, dealerships know supply is low, even if demand is lower also.

Speaking of, nice ride, get under $30K...sweet...and I have NEVER seen that color combo...pretty cool and different..has HK lol

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=271791268
It is also the damn car as well. given that there is the highly successful X7, and the redesigned X3, X5, and the FWD cheaper budget bimmer M235 are out now, dealerships DO NOT want M240i sports coupe allocations. Since the 2 series, especially the M240i model, hasn't sold well BMW isn't really interested in selling many of these either. 2 series is an enthusiast's car now, and given the shit allocation situation above, the scarcity of supply doesn't help either. Also since the OP is an "informed buyer with a performance car demand" looking for this sporty coupe in a time of crisis, it is the perfect storm for OP.

OP, wait a while. In fact wait till the economy bounces back and sports cars come a dime a dozen again. Right now everyone has a family hauler fetish going on.

For the record OP, last May I signed the deal on mine. I am sure I would be looking at 6-7% myself today as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #21
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
OP, wait a while. In fact wait till the economy bounces back and sports cars come a dime a dozen again.

In seriousness, I think you guys are right. There actually have been one or two candidates that were exactly what I wanted, but they sold before I could get the price to where I wanted it. Although I am impatient, I am even more stubborn, and I can typically outlast a salesperson when it comes to negotiation; it isn't the $ itself but the challenge and the principle of getting a solid deal. Otherwise, I would've bought one weeks back through a local dealer doing a locate.

I have never heard the tip to only work with the sales manager. Now that you point it out, the >9% offer I did get on the one w/manual was from the sales manager.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #22
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you find one in Richmond, let me now, I'll get you 10% plus rebates...tell them you have 7% or more, looking for great summer deal...dont need to "play game" on phone. Cheapest cars we ever sold were ones that called manager directly. (BTW dealer rebates are up also, 10% may not be enough right now)
Oh, and thanks for this!! I will definitely pay special attention to any options in Richmond!
Appreciate 0