THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Please vote: MW/CR or AW/Cognac

View Poll Results: Which one?
Mineral White + Coral Red 29 56.86%
Alpine White + Cognac 22 43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

05-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #67
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
Is there a problem??
Nope! Having a good chat!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #68
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchMagMunchen View Post

CR is a great color, and it is not too flashy.

1. Photos sometimes make both these interior colors look over-saturated. That is what is too flashy for CR IMO, the real life CR is not.

2. Only the seats and side trims come in red on the M240i. The lower dash and the center console are black. This is just the right amount of red IMO. I like not having too much red, and I think it helps to not make it too flashy as well.

The CR photo you posted in this thread is pretty accurate, it's not too saturated.
Exactly all of this. Some red interiors are over the top. Even the 3/4 series red interior isn't my favorite because the do red painted interior panels (yuck). The 2 series only have red leather/vinyl on the door inserts, seats, and armrest. Also, the red is very muted and semi flat in color, especially when clean. It's stellar with the dry carbon fiber trim.

I have yet to have someone hop in my car and think the red was over the top. Everyone I've met talks about how amazing the MW/CR combo looks.
Attached Images

Last edited by XutvJet; 05-23-2020 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #69
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
RWD Manual Arizona https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9798/overview/

RWD Auto Houston https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9403/overview/

(they could ship to you also for like $300, if I remember correctly, call and ask for 10% plus rebates..worth a shot)
Today I actually inquired after both of these. No one, these guys included, is willing to do better than ~6% off prior to rebates for a totally new car. I have easily talked to ~30 dealers over the last few weeks.

I've encountered some better deals on former loaners, as much as 11% to 12% before rebates.

It is something about this particular model. When I was cross-shopping a brand new 330xi in parallel, I was able to get more like 10% plus rebates.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #70
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
It's stellar with the dry carbon fiber trim.
I don't think this combo is possible on the 2020... When I try to add Carbon Fiber trim in the BMW configurator, it forces me to remove the Coral Red leather.

It seems like the only trim options are the wood (which I fear may clash a little with the red) or the aluminum w/black gloss highlight.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #71
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
RWD Manual Arizona https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9798/overview/

RWD Auto Houston https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9403/overview/

(they could ship to you also for like $300, if I remember correctly, call and ask for 10% plus rebates..worth a shot)
Today I actually inquired after both of these. No one, these guys included, is willing to do better than ~6% off prior to rebates for a totally new car. I have easily talked to ~30 dealers over the last few weeks.

I've encountered some better deals on former loaners, as much as 11% to 12% before rebates.

It is something about this particular model. When I was cross-shopping a brand new 330xi in parallel, I was able to get more like 10% plus rebates.
I hate loaners, and I hate telling people to buy loaners, especially on performance oriented cars. They are beat to shit... or, kind of. You will encounter a bunch of 2018s and 2019s with less than 10k miles. They will have some tag line of being "used by dealership manager" or something, something. If you can, avoid these.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #72
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I hate loaners, and I hate telling people to buy loaners, especially on performance oriented cars. They are beat to shit... or, kind of. You will encounter a bunch of 2018s and 2019s with less than 10k miles. They will have some tag line of being "used by dealership manager" or something, something. If you can, avoid these.
That's my concern with them, too. I would hope the "demos" were treated okay by dealer staff (but who knows), but I especially worry about the courtesy loaners, which I have to assume were NOT broken in for 1000 miles or whatever the recommendation is, before they were handed out to a string of random drivers with no vested interest in treating them kindly...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #73
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's my concern with them, too. I would hope the "demos" were treated okay by dealer staff (but who knows), but I especially worry about the courtesy loaners, which I have to assume were NOT broken in for 1000 miles or whatever the recommendation is, before they were handed out to a string of random drivers with no vested interest in treating them kindly...
They love loaners out on leashackers, and then you can trace the very same people on various forums posting like "guyz, my car only has 9k miles and my transmission is whining. Why god whyyy??"

Anyway, avoid loaners. Have you had no luck in locating brand new 2019s in the options you want?

For kicks I looked at autotrader and found this guy. I am sure you must have talked to them already https://www.bmwwest.com/new/BMW/2020...456f03805a.htm

P.s. I am sure someone mentioned this already but if you are a BMWCCA member you get either $500 or $1000 off the car
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #74
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't think this combo is possible on the 2020... When I try to add Carbon Fiber trim in the BMW configurator, it forces me to remove the Coral Red leather.

It seems like the only trim options are the wood (which I fear may clash a little with the red) or the aluminum w/black gloss highlight.

Dry carbon fiber is a M Performance part and isn't something that's available when you order the car. You have to buy it separately. It's essentially factory aftermarket. I ordered my car with aluminum.
      05-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #75
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:

hmmm odd. Here in Richmond VA I was getting more than that on an order. pre Covid, earlier in year. If rebates/loyalty strong enough, 6% is ok. But you could get that on a 2021 and have a year newer car.

I'd lean order in July/August, get 7%+ off...rebates (if any) lock in at time, and if they increase, you would get that too. (but not if they go down) My understanding.

Really odd since folks can't give away cars now. I know the manual pulls more demand per built (6% and many of those special ordered.)

Flip side, if you keep 5 years, won't matter much

Good luck

Here's MG/Black manual in Chicago area, pretty base though https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9544/overview/

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 05-24-2020 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #76
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

https://www.bmwofmtlaurel.com/new/BM...6f976abeeb.htm

Dealer trade? You would still need winter tires to address your concerns, but this seems to be what you want??? Advertised as AW with Coral Red.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #77
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
https://www.bmwofmtlaurel.com/new/BM...6f976abeeb.htm

Dealer trade? You would still need winter tires to address your concerns, but this seems to be what you want??? Advertised as AW with Coral Red.
Think she wanted a 240i...could have misunderstood.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #78
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Whoops....maybe I did....sorry if so.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #79
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For kicks I looked at autotrader and found this guy. I am sure you must have talked to them already https://www.bmwwest.com/new/BMW/2020...456f03805a.htm

P.s. I am sure someone mentioned this already but if you are a BMWCCA member you get either $500 or $1000 off the car
Yep - that car is one of the two linked above. I like it - I just can't get the price to where I'd prefer it to be...

And no, I had never heard that about BMWCCA... And unfortunately it looks like you have to be a member for 6 months before you qualify for a discount. But thank you for the tip!

Last edited by Wyldstyle; 05-24-2020 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: OCD
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #80
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Whoops....maybe I did....sorry if so.
Yup, definitely after an M240!

Have even considered this guy... but it screams, "Race me!" a little too much for my taste (and I don't trust myself to resist challengers).

http://www.car-research.com/WebXRM/V...B&OUTSIDEXRM=Y
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #81
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Back on the topic of colors -

Today I took my daughter along for a Sunday stroll around my closest dealer's lot, who I had determined from their website had 2 Mineral White 330s in stock, along with 7 Alpine Whites.

It ended up being overcast when we got to the lot, with a storm coming in, but man was it hard to tell the difference between the two. My daughter insisted that she couldn't see any difference at all, when the 2 were sitting side by side. I could tell that the MW had a very slight sheen. I have to assume that it becomes more pronounced in direct sunlight, and I hope maybe I'll have time for a return visit tomorrow, but I can see why a few people have commented that they are very similar.

I have pretty much decided that I prefer Mineral Grey as my #1 exterior choice, but after that I would be happy with either MW or AW. If I find a car at a good price in any of those 3 colors, with the Coral Red, I would go for it. I'd probably go for a BSM, too, if it had the CR or maybe Cognac.

I saw a few cars on the lot with Cognac interior, and I liked it, although it's probably a little too tame/boring with white. I couldn't find one with CR interior, except possibly an M3, but the windows were so tinted that (a) I couldn't tell whether it was CR (no sticker), and (b) I couldn't really evaluate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #82
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yup, definitely after an M240!

Have even considered this guy... but it screams, "Race me!" a little too much for my taste (and I don't trust myself to resist challengers).

http://www.car-research.com/WebXRM/V...B&OUTSIDEXRM=Y
thats badass btw, we've had 3 white cars with black interior and love them. And I love the Sensatec, was hesitant at first, but sold...I'd never get leather again if always a no cost option.

I was down to MG and white, but wanted manual, used low mileage, and MG was first I found. Both look great, I see the lines better with MG.

and that price is way too high IMO

If going there, hit these folks at 33K

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=272260088
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #83
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Back on the topic of colors -

Today I took my daughter along for a Sunday stroll around my closest dealer's lot, who I had determined from their website had 2 Mineral White 330s in stock, along with 7 Alpine Whites.

It ended up being overcast when we got to the lot, with a storm coming in, but man was it hard to tell the difference between the two. My daughter insisted that she couldn't see any difference at all, when the 2 were sitting side by side. I could tell that the MW had a very slight sheen. I have to assume that it becomes more pronounced in direct sunlight, and I hope maybe I'll have time for a return visit tomorrow, but I can see why a few people have commented that they are very similar.

I have pretty much decided that I prefer Mineral Grey as my #1 exterior choice, but after that I would be happy with either MW or AW. If I find a car at a good price in any of those 3 colors, with the Coral Red, I would go for it. I'd probably go for a BSM, too, if it had the CR or maybe Cognac.

I saw a few cars on the lot with Cognac interior, and I liked it, although it's probably a little too tame/boring with white. I couldn't find one with CR interior, except possibly an M3, but the windows were so tinted that (a) I couldn't tell whether it was CR (no sticker), and (b) I couldn't really evaluate it.
In direct sunlight you will find Alpine White to be a lot brighter to the eye compared to the MW. The MW seems almost off-white compared to AW in direct sunlight. In fact MW seems... old.

The AW contrasts very well with the red coral than MW in direct sunlight. The AW is definitely the "sportier" white than MW. Check on a sunny bright day.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #84
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
And no, I had never heard that about BMWCCA... And unfortunately it looks like you have to be a member for 6 months before you qualify for a discount.
I recommend you check with them to confirm, as I recall reading recently that a new three-year membership qualifies for a waiver of the waiting period. I can tell you that receiving that $500 check is a very nice present!

The BMWCCA Membership Rewards Program number is (864) 438-3398, or they can be emailed at rewards@bmwcca.org.

A bit of an historical note: the general AW/Cognac combination was very popular in the 80s in California; and, perhaps, in other regions as well. In that period, it had a very clean, fresh look to it. At the time, I was into Black/Black and so didn't take the opportunity to experience that combo. I'd owned white cars in the 70s and eventually went back to them as I've found them to be by far the easiest color to keep looking clean.

Last edited by dradernh; 05-24-2020 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 11:16 PM   #85
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thats badass btw, we've had 3 white cars with black interior and love them. And I love the Sensatec, was hesitant at first, but sold...I'd never get leather again if always a no cost option.

I was down to MG and white, but wanted manual, used low mileage, and MG was first I found. Both look great, I see the lines better with MG.

and that price is way too high IMO

If going there, hit these folks at 33K

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=272260088
This feels like heresy around here, but I'm about 85% sure I will stick with an automatic. Since I started considering RWD options, I decided I needed to assess the MT. Found a 2020 M240 convertible w/manual locally and drove it yesterday. It was really fun - hadn't driven a stick in several years. But that MT is a bit of work. I'm not sure I am a fan... and I love the automatic.

Funny side note - After not driving a manual for 6 years, I drove that one for 30 min, and for the 24 hours since, I have kept trying to drive my 440 like it has a stick. I keep trying to press a clutch pedal that isn't there and grab the shifter, and then I was mystified when my car didn't want to pull off today until I realized it was because I had unconsciously engaged the parking brake, despite being in a perfectly level lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I recommend you check with them to confirm, as I recall reading recently that a new three-year membership qualifies for a waiver of the waiting period. I can tell you that receiving that $500 check is a very nice present!
So, I was looking around the website a little more and found this -

Important Update: The Membership Reward Rebate program terms are changing on January 1, 2020. Individuals who purchase a three-year or longer membership after December 31, 2019, will be required to wait six months before taking delivery of a new BMW and applying for the rebate. However, everyone that purchases a three-year membership by December 31, 2019, will be grandfathered in under the current terms and will not have to wait six months. This new change will only affect memberships purchased after December 31, 2019.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:59 AM   #86
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

This video does a great job showing the color changing ability of MW, shadowing, and ability to go from a bright white to a very satin silvery white. AW doesn't hold a candle.

Last edited by XutvJet; 05-25-2020 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #87
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Interesting on MT, all perspective I suppose. I used to have a bunch, and had been 15+ years, that was almost too easy compared to anything else I've ever driven. If new, could have a been a bit tight, maybe not a finger pull, but 2 tops IMO. From clutch, to pull to hitting each gear. almost "light" - In fact adding Rogue short shifter to make shorter and tighter

Auto will make your search WAY easier, esp. used. MT are rare and premium (don't let anyone here tell you otherwise

Gonna love the car regardless, blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #88
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Funny side note - After not driving a manual for 6 years, I drove that one for 30 min, and for the 24 hours since, I have kept trying to drive my 440 like it has a stick. I keep trying to press a clutch pedal that isn't there and grab the shifter, and then I was mystified when my car didn't want to pull off today until I realized it was because I had unconsciously engaged the parking brake, despite being in a perfectly level lot.
Part of your mind is trying to send a message to the rest....

I'd listen!

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-25-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0