THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Please vote: MW/CR or AW/Cognac

View Poll Results: Which one?
Mineral White + Coral Red 29 56.86%
Alpine White + Cognac 22 43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

05-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #23
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

I wish mine had the red...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
It didn't see it mentioned if you were planning to purchase or lease the car? If you're purchasing the car, I'd consider reselling or trading in the car with certain colors. At least in my area, I've noticed that models with red or brown interior were priced lower and have been listed longer even with lower mileage and more options.
The suggestion is intentionally to not have the vehicle configuration you most want for several years to save a few bucks on a speculative future disposition?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-22-2020 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #25
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Hmm, it looks like AW/Cognac surged overnight, although it is still trailing!

Thank you guys for the comments so far. This is super helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Oh the mom jeans comment was from my lovely wife. I showed her your pictures; she has excellent taste

What does your husband say?
Getting an opinion out of him on the matter is like pulling teeth. He could not care less about cars. Any pic I show, he says it looks like a car. Given the option, I am sure he would vote for Alpine White + Black Sensatec, since it's "free."

However, he did surprise me the other day when he voiced an opinion out of the blue, agreeing that he prefers what I think is my ideal combo of Mineral Grey + Coral Red. (There are none out there, though, so I would probably have to order it. And I do like the whites on this car... although I usually hate white cars!)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #26
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
Hmm, it looks like AW/Cognac surged overnight, although it is still trailing!
You have a compound question in the poll. May well be the effect of Alpine White fans who are less interested in the interior color.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #27
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

While not one of your current "choices", we very much enjoyed the combo of Glacier Silver with Coral Red leather in our Sportwagon. Of your options, though I prefer Alpine White gloss over the Mineral White metallic, I'd chose Mineral White/ Coral Red combo.

Enjoy the search process and congrats on your future new BMW! 2 series are great!
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #28
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You have a compound question in the poll. May well be the effect of Alpine White fans who are less interested in the interior color.
Totally agree.

I am not sure I wouldn't prefer AW myself - I am a little worried MW could be too "pearl" for me, even though it doesn't really look pearl in most photos. A neighbor across the street has a GMC Acadia that I see every day and which is way too pearl for me. No idea what the color is called and obviously it has no direct relationship to BMW's color, but it makes it look dated, which makes me worry a little about MW doing the same.

To the point made by XutvJet on MW varying by model, does anyone know if the MW is the same on the new 3 series as it is on the 2 series? I have determined that a local dealer has a couple of 330s in MW on their lot and thought I might go check them out in person, and compare with the AWs (of which they have 7!).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #29
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It didn't see it mentioned if you were planning to purchase or lease the car? If you're purchasing the car, I'd consider reselling or trading in the car with certain colors. At least in my area, I've noticed that models with red or brown interior were priced lower and have been listed longer even with lower mileage and more options.
Sorry, realized I didn't answer your question. This will be a purchase. I do care about resale value because at this point I really do not know how long I will keep the car - could be 2 years or could be 8 years.* But, I don't think that's worth having a black interior in such a small car. I appreciate the point, though, not something I had considered.

*Unknowns weighing on my mind that could affect how long I keep this car: the 2 series redesign, the 4 series redesign, and the coming of the i4. Also, I just heard that Mazda is redesigning the 6 to be RWD and have an in-line 6... I am/was a big fan of Mazda and owned 4 of them before I moved on up to BMWs. (My last car before I switched to BMW was a 2007 Mazda 6 with v6 + MT that I ordered from out of state because they had quit making that combo after the '07 MY... then they dropped the v6 entirely.) So... super curious to see this new 6.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #30
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Totally agree.

I am not sure I wouldn't prefer AW myself - I am a little worried MW could be too "pearl" for me, even though it doesn't really look pearl in most photos. A neighbor across the street has a GMC Acadia that I see every day and which is way too pearl for me. No idea what the color is called and obviously it has no direct relationship to BMW's color, but it makes it look dated, which makes me worry a little about MW doing the same.

To the point made by XutvJet on MW varying by model, does anyone know if the MW is the same on the new 3 series as it is on the 2 series? I have determined that a local dealer has a couple of 330s in MW on their lot and thought I might go check them out in person, and compare with the AWs (of which they have 7!).
There is very little pearl in the 2 series MW. Domestic make pearls are cheesy. My wife's 2015 Outback is pearl white and it too has a bit more pearl, but still looks really good. I would have definitely passed on MW if it had a lot pearl as I'm not a fan.

AW is plain jane white. MW has a ton more depth. In direct sunlight, it looks like AW. When the sun is near the horizon, the pearl pops the angles and makes the fenders appear larger and the creases more dramatic. Under night lighting, it can take on a light silver shark skin appearance.
      05-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #31
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I have Coral Red in my M235 and Cognac in my wife’s new X3 and I love both. I think if your real picky Mineral has kind of a light gold tent to it and actually Cognac would go with it better and Coral with Alpine. Both of our vehicles are Glacier Silver.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #32
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I love my MG/Black, so very different taste palate. I had a 440 loaner in MW/CR - my wife's first comment really summed it up: "Oh, now you look like a gay divorcee" (no offense to any gay divorcees out there....). I see many here love the red interior, but to me it is way too candyfloss. And a VERY selective taste when it comes to resale as well (at least the dealers I've met seem to think it is a total drag). Perhaps I'm missing s/t, but I prefer to not notice the interior when driving.

For whites, one consideration is that these two sit at opposite ends of the spectrum for color matching, if you ever need a repair - I'd guess there may only be a few dozen people nationwide who can really truly match MW color and metallic well enough that you couldn't see the blend line (figure full-panel or whole car respray if you are really OCD). I also personally think the MW is kind of fussy and schmucky looking (like the wax is yellowing), much prefer the clean white of the AW (but white, for me, has been the hardest color to keep looking clean, and I hear the MW is a little more forgiving for that).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #33
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I love my MG/Black, so very different taste palate. I had a 440 loaner in MW/CR - my wife's first comment really summed it up: "Oh, now you look like a gay divorcee" (no offense to any gay divorcees out there....). I see many here love the red interior, but to me it is way too candyfloss. And a VERY selective taste when it comes to resale as well (at least the dealers I've met seem to think it is a total drag). Perhaps I'm missing s/t, but I prefer to not notice the interior when driving.

For whites, one consideration is that these two sit at opposite ends of the spectrum for color matching, if you ever need a repair - I'd guess there may only be a few dozen people nationwide who can really truly match MW color and metallic well enough that you couldn't see the blend line (figure full-panel or whole car respray if you are really OCD). I also personally think the MW is kind of fussy and schmucky looking (like the wax is yellowing), much prefer the clean white of the AW (but white, for me, has been the hardest color to keep looking clean, and I hear the MW is a little more forgiving for that).
You make some points I agree with. I typically also don't like to be distracted by the interior while driving, which is one of the things I like about black. I think because this would be the smallest car I've ever owned, I am a little paranoid about making it more tolerable for passengers (in the back especially, although that would be a small percentage of the time so I am probably overthinking that).

I am kind of also considering one that is Mineral Grey w/Black with Contrast Stitch (the white stitching adds a little more interest, at least...).

As far as paint work - does the same issue not arise with the other metallics like Black Sapphire and Mineral Grey? At one point I had looked into getting some work done on my 335i, which was BSM, because it had some tree sap on the hood - they were going to have to repaint the entire hood, and it was cost prohibitive.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #34
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

For both Coral Red and Cognac, are the backs of the front seats the same color leather, or are they black plastic? As much as I dislike plastic backs, it would be kids riding back there on occasion so that would probably be better for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #35
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You make some points I agree with. I typically also don't like to be distracted by the interior while driving, which is one of the things I like about black. I think because this would be the smallest car I've ever owned, I am a little paranoid about making it more tolerable for passengers (in the back especially, although that would be a small percentage of the time so I am probably overthinking that).
The single most counterproductive choice for you, given your concerns, would be a black interior, which makes a small space seem even smaller and more confining for you and any passengers.

I would not be bound by other's stereotypical thinking of the connotations of color choices. Ultimately, this is for you and those who will be with you.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #36
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The single most counterproductive choice for you, given your concerns, would be a black interior, which makes a small space seem even smaller and more confining for you and any passengers.

I would not be bound by other's stereotypical thinking of the connotations of color choices. Ultimately, this is for you and those who will be with you.
Oh I'm not! I just prefer MG as an exterior color choice, and there are none around with red or cognac or anything but black...

I am also not sure the MW/CR option is going to work out, as far as negotiation with the dealer in question, and I find myself leaning against the AW/Cognac combo (although not against AW or Cognac individually).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #37
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh I'm not! I just prefer MG as an exterior color choice, and there are none around with red or cognac or anything but black...

I am also not sure the MW/CR option is going to work out, as far as negotiation with the dealer in question, and I find myself leaning against the AW/Cognac combo (although not against AW or Cognac individually).
I ordered mine exactly as desired and had it in 8 weeks, including a nice discount. These days, I would think the plant and dealers are hungry for orders.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #38
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you're purchasing the car, I'd consider reselling or trading in the car with certain colors. At least in my area, I've noticed that models with red or brown interior were priced lower...
Quote:
The OP's initial post and my comment had nothing to with saving a few bucks, so I don't know how you came to that?
How else does one interpret that other than a reference to future reduced resale value?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #39
Kemps2Fast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i 18 - M240ix 20 - M3C 22

Alpine white is hot garbage compared to the glacier white. Of our three vehicles, two of them are alpine white (2012 328i and 2017 230i) and the color shows swirl marks much much more than the glacier white (2019 X5). All of the cars have been washed by hand since being purchased, with a twice-yearly ceramic coat. Additionally, every Honda, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, etc. has a version of alpine white, so it is obviously less unique. The glacier white has crazy depth and is one of the most stunning versions of white I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #40
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ordered mine exactly as desired and had it in 8 weeks, including a nice discount. These days, I would think the plant and dealers are hungry for orders.
Actually, I just heard from my local dealer on this front, and at this point they have no idea when they will be able to take orders or get pricing for 2021. Sounded like ordering a 2020 isn't an option right now either, which isn't surprising since I guess Munich just reopened this week.

Quote:
I definitely wasn't trying to push you towards a black interior or to or from any color. Just from what I've seen price wise and length of post for certain color interiors. It really depends on how the end buyer sees it. A dealer could consider it to be more rare and advertise it that way in a sale or know it may or may not be easier to sell? Everyone is different I personally prefer black or gray interiors, just because I don't like to clean my interior as much as I should, and light colors show more wear and tear. I use to sell cars, and there are other people who wouldn't buy a vehicle for that reason.

From what you've said, I'd take my time deciding if you can. Getting rid of a new car in 2 years, would get you for high depreciation especially on a BMW. Maybe, wait and drive the Mazda to compare? I owned a Mazda 6 in the past (4 cylinder), it wasn't a bad car, had leather seats...but I like the feel better in BMWs. You just have to see if you can comfortably shift back or not?
I didn't take it that way at all! I have always had a black interior and don't mind them at all, as a driver. I also am not big into spending a lot of time caring for my car, so that is a factor for me.

No doubt that 2 years would be bad on the depreciation front. It is why I might go used instead, if I can find what I want. But hopefully I will keep the car longer any way... it's just hard to say currently. If I love it as much as I suspect I will, it could be many years, regardless of what else comes out!

The new RWD/I6 Mazda won't be available until 2022. I am definitely NOT that patient. (And my lease is up in October.)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #41
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I stated something that was a fact from what I've seen. I didn't tell the OP not to buy a certain a certain color or not to buy a certain color. I mereley followed the OP's initial post and left a "comment." I never said once in any of my posts for him to not pick whatever color scheme he wants the most, I just gave him another perspective. Like with any other person, he doesn't have to consider my comment or anyone else's, because in the end it's decision. It's just that sometimes the end game isn't factored in and sometimes people may regret something? I've bought things in certain colors or repainted a car or parts and couldn't it because of color. I liked driving it, but had issues at the end. Another example I rented a space in someone's house, years later my landlord was considering selling the house and paid to have the house painted the ugliest colors and color schemes. She liked it, no one on the block did, years later I drove by and it's still the same ugly color with her car in the driveway.
My challenge was not to your making a comment or that you were being coercive or that you shouldn't give another perspcective...not at all, but perspectives are open to discussion and questions. I was questioning the underying presumption that the "end game" is when the car is resold, versus the more valuable "end game" being how much she enjoys the car for all the years of ownership....and then whatever happens, happens, and it's part of the price of all that enjoyment. I am questioning the premise that resale value should have the priority implied over having what she wants meanwhile. Seems a fair topic for debate.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #42
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I just heard from my local dealer on this front, and at this point they have no idea when they will be able to take orders or get pricing for 2021. Sounded like ordering a 2020 isn't an option right now either, which isn't surprising since I guess Munich just reopened this week.
Define exactly what you want to the dealer and ask them to run their locator, including what is in the departure and arrival ports and on the ships, as well as in other dealer inventory. When I searched for my last BMW (the 3 Series), no one had in stock what I wanted. Then, one dealer a state away, took a look at the locator and found what I wanted in cross-Atlantic transit on a ship, and took it into his inventory for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #43
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

If you think any interior color will make riding in the back seat significantly better for passengers you are far more optimistic than I am. They fit, but not a good option for any ride long enough to get bored with the upholstery. And r.e. the metallics, they are always harder to paint match than non-metallics, but white makes it that much tougher.

I DK if you can still get the 'sportline' interior trim, but for me it added the perfect amount of detail (IIRC, wasn't an option on the 235, but there was a leather option with red piping that is close). Others have had good results with colored wraps to match paint.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #44
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Define exactly what you want to the dealer and ask them to run their locator, including what is in the departure and arrival ports and on the ships, as well as in other dealer inventory. When I searched for my last BMW (the 3 Series), no one had in stock what I wanted. Then, one dealer a state away, took a look at the locator and found what I wanted in cross-Atlantic transit on a ship, and took it into his inventory for me.
I have done that, actually. I've been told there are 34 total in the country. I've also been told there are 0 with red interior, which I know to be false, although it is possible that they are all loaners - which won't come up in the locate for another dealer.

No mention of what could be on ships, but then, I have to wonder whether there is anything on ships currently, considering the factory shutdown. More than one dealer has mentioned that inventory is depleted and they aren't sure when more new cars will come in.
Appreciate 0