THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Opinions- 6MT RWD or Auto xDrive

10-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #89
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilax59 View Post
Update:

Thank you everyone for commenting and providing your input on the topic. I have just signed papers for a 2016 M235i RWD ZF8. Now before everyone starts commenting that it should've been a manual, I was able to get a very good deal on this car and it had everything I was looking for. Many of the manuals I found were more expensive and weren't configured with what I wanted (+some of the dealers drilled the front bumper ). This auto will make commuting more comfortable and easier. It would take me some time to get the manual down pat and I can't afford to spend extra time commuting because of it. However, I am still very eager to drive a manual and will look for a used stick as a second car when the finances are right.
Nice! Get yourself second set of wheels and snow tires of any brand for a few months. Amazing how well these RWDs and Snows handle with any amount of snow!
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
      11-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #90
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by POMFKIMOCHI View Post
To hop on the supportive bandwagon,

the 6MT in the m240 is literally one of the easiest clutch/shifter combo's I've ever driven, and the added fun-factor that RWD gives lead me to decide that it would be my perfect first car (so I got it!) I have driven many different sports cars in the class (dct and manual), and I long deliberated between getting the auto or 4WD versions (even the soft top), and am very satisfied and relieved that I went with the much more sensible option.

I have let 6 different women try their hand at learning/trying manual, and only 1 has actually managed to stall the car (put into a stressful situation), it's almost impossible to stall unless you just let out the clutch with no gas input.

It's a sporty car, that feels best when it's being used properly. If you really wanted just the straight line performance, or winter safety of this class of vehicle, I would wholly recommend an RS3 instead.

But for (true) drivers like yourself that "just want to enjoy the car and driving experience", then you HAVE to get the 6MT RWD or you'll regret it.
I miss my bare bones 2016 228i 6MT..heated seats and park surround...38,000 since new..traded the car for a new X3M40i going on three years back.
I love the M40i....miss the 6MT and fun of the car....may have to add a 3rd car back into the mix
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #91
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Been 20 years since I owned a MT and was hesitant, since I'd drive it DD a bit. Few months in, I forgot how much it felt like "driving" I loved the auto and it was faster, spirit of shifting gears is alive and well.

I'll never not own a MT again...well unless the knees go lol
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      12-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #92
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i 2008

Rwd and 6speed!!!!
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      12-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #93
2016M235i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i M6 Estoril Blue

When I was shopping for one, I wouldn't even consider an automatic. I loved the way the clutch and stick felt and I liked shifting the gears myself, so I got a 6MT.

However, I will say my next one will be an automatic. The main reason is that I need to have the seat farther forward than I really would like it to be, in order to be able to push the clutch in all the way. And the driving position isn't as comfortable for me as it should be with the seat farther forward. Another reason is that the automatic, especially in sport mode, is really quite excellent. It's always in the gear it should be in, always plenty of touque on tap, and if I feel like banging gears, the paddle shifters are well positioned and have a great feel. Also, there are some days my 60 year old abused left knee protests clutching.
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
KennyFSU1104.00
      12-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #94
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016M235i View Post
When I was shopping for one, I wouldn't even consider an automatic. I loved the way the clutch and stick felt and I liked shifting the gears myself, so I got a 6MT.

However, I will say my next one will be an automatic. The main reason is that I need to have the seat farther forward than I really would like it to be, in order to be able to push the clutch in all the way. And the driving position isn't as comfortable for me as it should be with the seat farther forward. Another reason is that the automatic, especially in sport mode, is really quite excellent. It's always in the gear it should be in, always plenty of touque on tap, and if I feel like banging gears, the paddle shifters are well positioned and have a great feel. Also, there are some days my 60 year old abused left knee protests clutching.
Just let me know when you want to make that change!
Appreciate 0