THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Speakers, Amps or Other?

11-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
HUGMEE
United_States
Rep
Drives: F23

Speakers, Amps or Other?

ASD or Other Issue?
Looking for some feedback on a speaker issue in a F23.

S674 Hi-Fi system Harman Kardon

Passenger front speakers have no sound at all regardless of fader/balance settings.

Front drivers don't seem to work 100%. They get louder and sound fuller momentarily when using other electrical devices i.e., windows up or down, braking and sometimes steering (I guess adaptive lighting may be a trigger). When the engine is turned off before exiting the cabin they seem to stay in the "full sound" state.

So the front passenger no sound and the front driver intermittent fuller sound. All other speakers/subs sound great.

Anyone else experience this? Is this an ASD issue, bad amp, programming...?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Did you code the ASD? If so then put it back to OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
HUGMEE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Did you code the ASD? If so then put it back to OEM.
I didn't code the ASD.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

If all speakers sound when the engine is off then you should be looking at the OEM HU as the cause of the front channels having problems. The audio chain is OEM HU -> ASD -> OEM amp, so full sound with the engine off should not be affecting the ASD or the OEM amp -they just output whatever the OEM HU inputs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #5
HUGMEE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
If all speakers sound when the engine is off then you should be looking at the OEM HU as the cause of the front channels having problems. The audio chain is OEM HU -> ASD -> OEM amp, so full sound with the engine off should not be affecting the ASD or the OEM amp -they just output whatever the OEM HU inputs.
Not all the speakers sound. Just the left side drop in sound is stable and full as it should be when the car is off.

Where and how do I start troubleshooting for this issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #6
jv92red
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i (SOLD) E92M3 (SOLD)

Option 1 is have the dealer diagnose if you're still under warranty. They can plugin and find out what the issue is very quickly.

Option 2 if you're not under warranty and want to DIY it: Sounds like you need to isolate the HU and the amp on their own to see which one is the culprit. The only way I would know how to do this is with a amp bypass harness so you can run the HU to your speakers while bypassing the factory amp. For wiring harness options there is the Technic one:
https://technicpnp.com/product/7ch-h...hk674-harness/

or there is also one available on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-F10...IAAOSwgQ9V4UKR

You'll also need access to an amplifier, a 2 channel will work, but a 4 channel or a 6 channel will also work as well. If you don't have access to an amp, then get the cheapest 2 channel amp you can find as it only needs to work, we're not looking for hifi sound with this diagnosis. Just at least 2 channels so you can hook up your front left and right door speakers for diagnosis. A quick check on Sonic Electronix has one for $30.

Once you plug in the harness and wire up the speakers and amp to the harness you can drive around and see if the issue persists or not. If not and everything sounds good and back to normal then your factory amp is the issue.

If the problem you describe continues with the bypass and other amp installed then your factory HU is the culprit. To confirm this, if you have access to a DAP you can connect it's output to a RCA cable and run the cable back to your bypass harness to act as HU bypass. If everything sounds good at this point then most likely you have a bad HU. If by chance you're still getting speakers that are cutting out then it's a wiring or speaker issue AFTER your factory amp and could be anywhere from after your amp all the way to where your speakers are connected or the speakers themselves. Could be grounding out or partially unplugged/ or blown?

After diagnosis, if you don't want the amp bypass harness you can sell the wiring harness on the classifieds here and you should be able to get 70-85% of what you paid for the harness back as there are members on the forums looking to go aftermarket amp so they'll need one of these so don't worry that your out $65 for this. Either way if you went this route you still saved a ton for not having the dealer fix the issue. (if not under warranty)

Let us know how the diagnosis goes and we'll try and assist if needed. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Take the car to the dealer if it's under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
HUGMEE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv92red View Post
Option 1 is have the dealer diagnose if you're still under warranty. They can plugin and find out what the issue is very quickly.

Option 2 if you're not under warranty and want to DIY it: Sounds like you need to isolate the HU and the amp on their own to see which one is the culprit. The only way I would know how to do this is with a amp bypass harness so you can run the HU to your speakers while bypassing the factory amp. For wiring harness options there is the Technic one:
https://technicpnp.com/product/7ch-h...hk674-harness/

or there is also one available on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-F10...IAAOSwgQ9V4UKR

You'll also need access to an amplifier, a 2 channel will work, but a 4 channel or a 6 channel will also work as well. If you don't have access to an amp, then get the cheapest 2 channel amp you can find as it only needs to work, we're not looking for hifi sound with this diagnosis. Just at least 2 channels so you can hook up your front left and right door speakers for diagnosis. A quick check on Sonic Electronix has one for $30.

Once you plug in the harness and wire up the speakers and amp to the harness you can drive around and see if the issue persists or not. If not and everything sounds good and back to normal then your factory amp is the issue.

If the problem you describe continues with the bypass and other amp installed then your factory HU is the culprit. To confirm this, if you have access to a DAP you can connect it's output to a RCA cable and run the cable back to your bypass harness to act as HU bypass. If everything sounds good at this point then most likely you have a bad HU. If by chance you're still getting speakers that are cutting out then it's a wiring or speaker issue AFTER your factory amp and could be anywhere from after your amp all the way to where your speakers are connected or the speakers themselves. Could be grounding out or partially unplugged/ or blown?

After diagnosis, if you don't want the amp bypass harness you can sell the wiring harness on the classifieds here and you should be able to get 70-85% of what you paid for the harness back as there are members on the forums looking to go aftermarket amp so they'll need one of these so don't worry that your out $65 for this. Either way if you went this route you still saved a ton for not having the dealer fix the issue. (if not under warranty)

Let us know how the diagnosis goes and we'll try and assist if needed. Good luck!
This is incredibly detailed and the most helpful information on the internet. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 10:01 AM   #9
HUGMEE
United_States
Rep

Follow-up for anyone experiencing similar issues:

I made 2 changes around the same time so I cannot determine which fixed this. The speakers were not blown and are working great. I changed my door projectors. The ones in there were aftermarket. My replacements are as well but a different brand. Around this same time I played with the audio coding using Bimmercode. In doing so I lost sound, got some back, the issue reoccurred then one day I noticed it was fixed.

So I can't be sure if it was the coding or some sort of interference from the lights. I recently disconnected the center channel and the difference is amazing.
Appreciate 0