THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Front Jack Point

06-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #23
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
I hated jacking up my car for the first time, I had the 2 rubber jack point adapters but it will still iffy.

I now use ramps and drive right up them. If you're lowered you can use 2x4s to drive up on them first.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #24
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
I somewhat agree with your statement and I use the aluminum inserts for the lift pads...on top of a urethane jack pad for height. However, recommending a generic "hockey puck" for any load bearing applications is asking for disaster. That's why they make urethane jack pads (same size as a hockey puck) which are also what suspension bushings are made of. Some have pinch weld slots and some don't. They're specifically designed for load bearing applications instead of something for hockey. Plus, this "right tool" is only around $8 anyway on Amazon.
"Asking for disaster" is not true at all, when you look at the facts.

Hockey puck properties are quite tightly controlled for the vulcanized rubber, probably much more so than a urethane block that may not be made to any specific standard and may come from an unknown manufacturer (regulation hockey pucks are made by a limited number of certified manufacturers).

To give the regulation bounce, the size weight and tensile modulus are controlled, with a 25MPa tensile strength required to give a durometer reading of 90 to meet the bounce requirements, which is in the range of urethane rubbers that typically vary from 18 to 44MPa.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:09 PM   #25
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
"Asking for disaster" is not true at all, when you look at the facts.

Hockey puck properties are quite tightly controlled for the vulcanized rubber, probably much more so than a urethane block that may not be made to any specific standard and may come from an unknown manufacturer (regulation hockey pucks are made by a limited number of certified manufacturers).

To give the regulation bounce, the size weight and tensile modulus are controlled, with a 25MPa tensile strength required to give a durometer reading of 90 to meet the bounce requirements, which is in the range of urethane rubbers that typically vary from 18 to 44MPa.
I see your point, but I still default to the "right tool for the job". Hockey pucks are specially made for...<well>...hockey. A rock can still drive in a nail, but I still prefer the standard hammer. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:46 AM   #26
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
I see your point, but I still default to the "right tool for the job". Hockey pucks are specially made for...<well>...hockey. A rock can still drive in a nail, but I still prefer the standard hammer. YMMV.
I’m an Aeronautical Engineer by training and I’m quite conscious of using the right material for the job. My aluminium jack has had the stock soft rubber pad discarded due to the fact a hockey puck fits into the cup accurately and is much more durable than the manufacturer’s pad. If a vertical lift into a depression such as the front centre jacking point on most BMWs is needed, it fits accurately and safely.

Sometimes what looks like the “wrong” solution is actually the best solution.
Appreciate 1