THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Feel like M235i isn't able to be driven hard

04-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Budi
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 335is

Feel like M235i isn't able to be driven hard

By driven hard I mean mostly stuff like power sliding and donuts. After all, my engine seized at 46k because of doing donuts for like 20 seconds and it threw a rod bearing. Also I've been trying to have fun sliding it in the wet but with the e-lsd and dsc off it just completely spins out with any real throttle input. In sport plus the dtc doesn't let it spin or really slide. And since I have an auto throttle input is horrible as you're either giving it too little or too much and have to step into overdrive. My E39 540 with an open diff was easier to slide and I didn't have to worry about seizing my engine or another major eff up just because I'm having fun with the car.

Are my issues just because auto and no lsd? Or do others feel the same.
Inb4 "take it to the track if you want to drive hard". No
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'm going to assume that you take public safety to heart and perform your donuts, power slides, and other "fun" activities in empty parking lots, especially since you have acknowledged your proclivity for spinning out.

A few points:

Completely spinning out indicates that the car is rotating sufficiently to perform a "power slide", I would suggest practicing control.

Unsurprisingly, no car is designed to "do donuts".

Numerous members on this forum, including me, have tracked their cars and "drive them hard"; oiling usually isn't an issue.

Throttle input is the same regardless of transmission.

---

In other words, your issues are not because of your car having an automatic transmission and an open differential.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
Budi
Rep

Does the 6MT also have kickdown? In my E90 the throttle was linear. And I've had fun on windy roads before, even took it to pikes peak, but that's a different kind of fun that's not easily accessible in my area. Still feel like the car is very sensitive compared to others and should have come stock with an lsd
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Driven hard isn't really the word you're looking for. More like "M235i can't do donuts due to driver error"
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 4
      04-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedisrico View Post
Does the 6MT also have kickdown? In my E90 the throttle was linear. And I've had fun on windy roads before, even took it to pikes peak, but that's a different kind of fun that's not easily accessible in my area. Still feel like the car is very sensitive compared to others and should have come stock with an lsd
You seem to be missing the picture from these nice people who are answering you. I'll be more forward. You don't know how to drive or what causes car problems.

You're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
You seem to be missing the picture from these nice people who are answering you. I'll be more forward. You don't know how to drive or what causes car problems.

You're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
Budi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_otherM235i View Post
Driven hard isn't really the word you're looking for. More like "M235i can't do donuts due to driver error"
Oh it does donuts easily, it'll just probably break something easier than other cars would
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #8
Budi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post

You're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The oiling system on the M235 is pretty robust and rarely do you ever hear of spun rod bearings except on track driven M235s that sustain high G loads for extended periods. For that type of driving, some add the M2 N55 oil pan and pump system. I suppose if you're doing donuts for an extended period (30+ seconds), oil was a quart shy, and you got the oil sloshed over to one side of the pan due to the sustained Gs, then I guess it could be possible to spin a rod bearing. I'd also have to think the bearings already may have had a preexisting condition, especially if you bought used.

As for holding controlled drifts in DSC Off, yeah, it doesn't work well with the open differential and e-LSD. You can induce the drift, but it can be snappy and hard to control as the e-LSD tries to figure out how to control things. The answer is really simple. You need a true LSD. I drove my car with the stock diff for 2 years and then added the M Performance LSD. I've had the LSD for over 2 years. The difference is night and day. The rear is now controllable and like you'd expect in a sports car. Sport+ will only let you hang out the rear a foot or two before dialing back in things. Nothings has changed there. The e-LSD is really quite good, but in no shape or form a substitute for a true LSD. The rear axle feels completely buttoned down and stable. It's like adding 500lbs over the axle.

As for the throttle sensitivity, it's due to DSC Off using the Comfort throttle setting. BMW does this so the input is linear and more tractable in track driving. You want it this way in a high torque turbo motor. You get used to it the more you drive in that mode. If you want more throttle sensitivity in DSC Off, buy a Sprint Booster or similar. It will get you what you want, regardless of driving mode.
      04-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budi View Post
Does the 6MT also have kickdown?
No kick down with the 6MT throttle. Kick down is for automatics. Kick down in the 6MT is the driver grabbing the gear they want when they want it.
      04-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
Budi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
No kick down with the 6MT throttle. Kick down is for automatics. Kick down in the 6MT is the driver grabbing the gear they want when they want it.
Yeah my 335i was 6MT so I don't know why he said the throttle was the same for autos and manuals
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #12
Budi
Rep

Quote:
The oiling system on the M235 is pretty robust and rarely do you ever hear of spun rod bearings except on track driven M235s that sustain high G loads for extended periods. For that type of driving, some add the M2 N55 oil pan and pump system. I suppose if you're doing donuts for an extended period (30+ seconds), oil was a quart shy, and you got the oil sloshed over to one side of the pan due to the sustained Gs, then I guess it could be possible to spin a rod bearing. I'd also have to think the bearings already may have had a preexisting condition, especially if you bought used.

As for holding controlled drifts in DSC Off, yeah, it doesn't work well with the open differential and e-LSD. You can induce the drift, but it can be snappy and hard to control as the e-LSD tries to figure out how to control things. The answer is really simple. You need a true LSD. I drove my car with the stock diff for 2 years and then added the M Performance LSD. I've had the LSD for over 2 years. The difference is night and day. The rear is now controllable and like you'd expect in a sports car. Sport+ will only let you hang out the rear a foot or two before dialing back in things. Nothings has changed there. The e-LSD is really quite good, but in no shape or form a substitute for a true LSD. The rear axle feels completely buttoned down and stable. It's like adding 500lbs over the axle.

As for the throttle sensitivity, it's due to DSC Off using the Comfort throttle setting. BMW does this so the input is linear and more tractable in track driving. You want it this way in a high torque turbo motor. You get used to it the more you drive in that mode. If you want more throttle sensitivity in DSC Off, buy a Sprint Booster or similar. It will get you what you want, regardless of driving mode.
Great info, guess I'll have to find a real LSD would you say the M performance model is the best street choice?

As for the oiling issues, I found the same info about M2 oiling system after my engine seized, maybe I didn't let it warm up enough. It's weird bc another member had the exact same problem as I did within the same mileage. Now I'm just extra paranoid about it
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Great info, guess I'll have to find a real LSD would you say the M performance model is the best street choice?

As for the oiling issues, I found the same info about M2 oiling system after my engine seized, maybe I didn't let it warm up enough. It's weird bc another member had the exact same problem as I did within the same mileage. Now I'm just extra paranoid about it
For the money, yes. It's a very high quality unit built by Drexler for BMW. It's a clutch-based system which is arguably the best for track driving, daily driving, and drifting. The downside is it eventually wears out (~100K+ miles). The lock-up is just right for daily driving and typical track use. You can buy them for $1,900-2,000 and install is pretty easy. There are plenty of aftermarket companies selling them as well, but you'll end up spending $500-1,000 more.

As for oil warm up, per my datalogs, takes at least 10 minutes of driving to get oil up to a minimum temp assuming the oil was cold. When temps are below 40 degrees, it takes even longer for oil to warm up. It temps are below 20 degrees, the oil may never fully warm up.

Doing donuts is hell on any motor. The reason being you're running the engine at high rpms, there's no air going through the radiators and oil cooler, and the oil pan is under higher G's. I couple of donuts is fine. Doing them for extended periods is never a good idea.
      04-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #14
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

Quote:

Doing donuts is hell on any motor. The reason being you're running the engine at high rpms, there's no air going through the radiators and oil cooler, and the oil pan is under higher G's. I couple of donuts is fine. Doing them for extended periods is never a good idea.

You know it isn't the best idea when Donuts aren't good for cars or people ....they sure are fun and delicious though
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #15
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

For the money, yes. It's a very high quality unit built by Drexler for BMW. It's a clutch-based system which is arguably the best for track driving, daily driving, and drifting. The downside is it eventually wears out (~100K+ miles). The lock-up is just right for daily driving and typical track use. You can buy them for $1,900-2,000 and install is pretty easy. There are plenty of aftermarket companies selling them as well, but you'll end up spending $500-1,000 more.

As for oil warm up, per my datalogs, takes at least 10 minutes of driving to get oil up to a minimum temp assuming the oil was cold. When temps are below 40 degrees, it takes even longer for oil to warm up. It temps are below 20 degrees, the oil may never fully warm up.

You consistently have the best answers on this forum, thanks for dropping knowledge.

I really wish my car had mechanical LSD now lol

Also what about rear end gear ratios? I feel like they could be made shorter in these cars right?

I always compare my m235 to the r35 GTR and that was one big difference I noticed. I want more acceleration and less top mph.

I bought the m235 as a poor mans knock off to the GTR and want to mirror the physics as much as possible.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #16
SOLOMEK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
By driven hard I mean mostly stuff like power sliding and donuts. After all, my engine seized at 46k because of doing donuts for like 20 seconds and it threw a rod bearing. Also I've been trying to have fun sliding it in the wet but with the e-lsd and dsc off it just completely spins out with any real throttle input. In sport plus the dtc doesn't let it spin or really slide. And since I have an auto throttle input is horrible as you're either giving it too little or too much and have to step into overdrive. My E39 540 with an open diff was easier to slide and I didn't have to worry about seizing my engine or another major eff up just because I'm having fun with the car.

Are my issues just because auto and no lsd? Or do others feel the same.
Inb4 "take it to the track if you want to drive hard". No
And behold dear community, this is the car that will be later sold from a post that claims "responsible, mature adult driven".

Scary world out there.
      05-14-2020, 03:03 AM   #17
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOMEK View Post
And behold dear community, this is the car that will be later sold from a post that claims "responsible, mature adult driven".

Scary world out there.
Ironic how if you own a performance car, it’s considered a waste if you don’t use it. But when buying used people avoid such cars like the coronavirus.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #18
BrandonMllr
Rep
Drives: BMW 1series F52

I always break the drive :с
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #19
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
Ironic how if you own a performance car, it’s considered a waste if you don’t use it. But when buying used people avoid such cars like the coronavirus.
I'd buy a tracked BMW that was properly maintained; not so a car that's been hooned by a wingnut.
YMMV.
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 1
Sail Boat192.00
      05-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #20
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

sounds like you might want to look at some honda vehicles for that type of behavior
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:35 AM   #21
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
sounds like you might want to look at some honda vehicles for that type of behavior
I miss my honda everyday.

It handled better, got better mpg, had a real Limited Slip Diff, revved much faster and higher, weighed about 900 pounds less.

I was so young and naive I bought the "M" marketing hype from BMW lol

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #22
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
I miss my honda everyday.

It handled better, got better mpg, had a real Limited Slip Diff, revved much faster and higher, weighed about 900 pounds less.

I was so young and naive I bought the "M" marketing hype from BMW lol

yep , but I still wouldn't leave BMW for a honda (well not a civic, accord type anyway)
Appreciate 0