THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning N20 235i killer R I P

Closed Thread

06-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #111
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

New valves
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #112
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol View Post
Some of the valve train parts started arriving today. We'll be replacing all the valves and valves springs.

*as of now we still haven't taken off the head*
if there still a head left
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #113
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
So did it break a spring and drop a valve? (not likely or your piston would be done, huh). Sounds like you might get off 'easier' than we all thought huh? fingers crossed e!
      06-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #114
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
So did it break a spring and drop a valve? (not likely or your piston would be done, huh). Sounds like you might get off 'easier' than we all thought huh? fingers crossed e!
Crossing my fingers that it is just valve related and she'll be back up and running in a few days.

For sure it is not a whole through the block as other N20 owners have reported so that alone is a relief. Will report with my findings as we go deeper into the motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #115
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
It's funny you should say that... I have a '15 F80 M3 with 92xx miles in the shop currently that has DP's and a full exhaust married with a JB4, and this client too fell victim to a shotty programmer IMO... Vehicle that was diagnosed with "vehicle tampering" and an engine that was revved beyond it's factory limitations. The clients S55 motor has 30psi in cylinder 1 and after a leak down test we find a bent valve due to impact with the piston. This further supports my statement in saying why the oh so famous JB4 should still IMO be beta phase because nothing seems safe granted that it's just a piggyback. Client states that he was doing moderate spirited driving on map 1 when the incident happened, and cannot recall driving the vehicle aggressively per say granted he had a 400+ mile trek home. On top of bending the valve he also snapped the vanos bolts in the process, now what separates this vehicle from the OP or what "saves" this client is because there were and still is a pending recall for the vanos bolts for the N52/N55 engines, being that the S55's base plant design were stemmed from those particular engines. Still it was shocking to see that something so catastrophic can happen to such a high performance hand assembled engine, something that was obviously accelerated due to quite possibly outside influence...
The problem with almost all tunes is that tuners don't know design limits. As engineering gets better, material limits are better know, simulation and testing get better, engine controls get better and smarter. Design will be brought closer to the limit. Unless these tuners are buying engines and running them to failure they really don't know what the weak points are, or what design limits are. All designs have some built in margin, but how munch engineering are tuners actually doing?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #116
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak
Quote:
It's funny you should say that... I have a '15 F80 M3 with 92xx miles in the shop currently that has DP's and a full exhaust married with a JB4, and this client too fell victim to a shotty programmer IMO... Vehicle that was diagnosed with "vehicle tampering" and an engine that was revved beyond it's factory limitations. The clients S55 motor has 30psi in cylinder 1 and after a leak down test we find a bent valve due to impact with the piston. This further supports my statement in saying why the oh so famous JB4 should still IMO be beta phase because nothing seems safe granted that it's just a piggyback. Client states that he was doing moderate spirited driving on map 1 when the incident happened, and cannot recall driving the vehicle aggressively per say granted he had a 400+ mile trek home. On top of bending the valve he also snapped the vanos bolts in the process, now what separates this vehicle from the OP or what "saves" this client is because there were and still is a pending recall for the vanos bolts for the N52/N55 engines, being that the S55's base plant design were stemmed from those particular engines. Still it was shocking to see that something so catastrophic can happen to such a high performance hand assembled engine, something that was obviously accelerated due to quite possibly outside influence...
The problem with almost all tunes is that tuners don't know design limits. As engineering gets better, material limits are better know, simulation and testing get better, engine controls get better and smarter. Design will be brought closer to the limit. Unless these tuners are buying engines and running them to failure they really don't know what the weak points are, or what design limits are. All designs have some built in margin, but how munch engineering are tuners actually doing?
Exactly the reason I'm now on board with GSR. They've pushed their test engine all the way to failure, closely monitoring everything so as to know what needs upgrading and how to tune safely.
Appreciate 3
      06-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #117
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
It's funny you should say that... I have a '15 F80 M3 with 92xx miles in the shop currently that has DP's and a full exhaust married with a JB4, and this client too fell victim to a shotty programmer IMO... Vehicle that was diagnosed with "vehicle tampering" and an engine that was revved beyond it's factory limitations. The clients S55 motor has 30psi in cylinder 1 and after a leak down test we find a bent valve due to impact with the piston. This further supports my statement in saying why the oh so famous JB4 should still IMO be beta phase because nothing seems safe granted that it's just a piggyback. Client states that he was doing moderate spirited driving on map 1 when the incident happened, and cannot recall driving the vehicle aggressively per say granted he had a 400+ mile trek home. On top of bending the valve he also snapped the vanos bolts in the process, now what separates this vehicle from the OP or what "saves" this client is because there were and sti
ll is a pending recall for the vanos bolts for the N52/N55 engines, being that the S55's base plant design were stemmed from those particular engines. Still it was shocking to see that something so catastrophic can happen to such a high performance hand assembled engine, something that was obviously accelerated due to quite possibly outside influence...

9200 miles and damaged huh. Guess there's no limit to the hardcore enthusiasts want for more power
      06-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #118
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Hey man, I'm sorry for that.. earlier I called a company called ABR houston and asked them few stuff as they torn down two N20 before. so they said they can do upgraded pistons, rods and turbo. maybe that will be helpful
      06-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #119
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
9200 miles and damaged huh. Guess there's no limit to the hardcore enthusiasts want for more power
Well unfortunately this client seemed to have done mild mods and nothing "dramatic" if you will... Still a shame though...
Yeah because boosting that engine into the 500s hp and torque (basically what the JB4 does on that car) isn't "dramatic" hahahahaha come on, that engine is at its limit already. It's an amazing engine, but even The M head engineer said in that interview that the engine has been pushed as hard as it can go.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #120
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Sounds like BMWs next engines would benefit from a higher HP threshold. Engines with 600+hp is becoming more common place these days. I always thought BMW over engineered their engines, so I'm a little surprised.

I've been curious about a 3D printed engine. I would imagine the tolerances would be way above what we currently have. I think it would be a huge leap in engine design.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #121
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Hope this isn't who I think it is.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #122
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
This sounds like a mechanical over-rev caused by a missed shift, which would have nothing to do with any of his modifications.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #123
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Hope this isn't who I think it is.
Unfortunately it is Tom... And it isn't looking too good for him either, such level of uncommon/unheard of catastrophic failure from the considerably new S55 motor requires our regional engineer to get involved to see what exactly happened thru viewing the FASTA data, which ultimately might work against our mutual client... Told him that I'd do my absolute best to talk to the engineer in showing good faith that what might appear in the data isn't exactly what happened, going to ask for a "slap on the wrist" warning if you will...
Wow. Good to hear that there are Service Departments that do care about their customers.
Appreciate 2
      06-08-2015, 05:52 AM   #124
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Why do people leave mods on the car if something happens? It looks way more suspicious then. What does a new s55 cost 20-30k??
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #125
lloydaustin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 533i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
Why do people leave mods on the car if something happens? It looks way more suspicious then. What does a new s55 cost 20-30k??
The motor alone is about 25k, then the labor and extra parts you might need probably into the mid 30s. Definitely something I would not want to pay for.
08/13 f30 320i Jet Black | 6MT | Sport Pack | JB4 | Muffler Delete (sold)
08/84 e28 533i 5MT | Bronzit (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #126
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
Quote:
Well that's a very good question, maybe it's simply because like anyone else, consumers are excited to put in the time when it comes down to modding or at least the desire to mod that is, but simply find it as a nuisance when it comes time to "hide" the evidence. Case and point being, and I'll say it again simply so that the public community is aware, nothing can be hidden from BMW, it's quite impossible in most cases.
... Big Bavarian is watching you!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #127
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
This sounds like a mechanical over-rev caused by a missed shift, which would have nothing to do with any of his modifications.
Definitely sounds like money downshift.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #128
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharo1 View Post
Wow. Good to hear that there are Service Departments that do care about their customers.
Thanks man! I do what I can to help our community!
      06-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #129
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
I'm not sure how you would get a mechanical over-rev when the car has a factory rev limiter. I know I've hit the rev limiter twice in my F22. Does the JB4 tune delete the rev limiter?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #130
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I'm not sure how you would get a mechanical over-rev when the car has a factory rev limiter. I know I've hit the rev limiter twice in my F22. Does the JB4 tune delete the rev limiter?
Shift into lower gear by accident and dump the clutch, the running gear will blow it right through a fuel cut off.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #131
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

That's sad. =/ Any news on what caused the failure?

Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #132
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoac14 View Post
That's sad. =/ Any news on what caused the failure?

Best of luck
There was a a delay in getting the first mechanic to come over this past weekend so he can start working on it... Now It's been a nightmare to get a reliable towing company (waited till 1am last night just to find out he didn't bring the rear wheel rollers to load the car onto the flat bed) to actually tow the car to EC Elite Automotive in Huntington Beach CA. They'll be doing the work after all as I have no free time to wrench on it at home.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread