THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System

04-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #793
selmeralto
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

A last resort, if you can't get the color coding: you should be able to test this by ear.

Put on a track or two with tight bass lines. Face the rear speakers, sitting in the center of the car. Move your head back and forth slowly. Listen for tight bass and clear location of instruments. Reverse the speaker connections on one speaker only. One of the connection setups should have tighter bass with a firmer sense of the location of instruments. Those two speakers should then be in phase. You might find this test easier by setting the fader control to shut off the front speakers.

Then, setting the fader control back to normal, listen to the whole system for the same parameters, paying attention to spatial location and tightness throughout the system. Then reverse *both* connections in the back, keeping them in phase with each other, and listen for consistent phasing throughout the system. The goal is to have a clean, firm, consistent and spatially defined sound throughout the car, at least as far as that's possible in a small moving vehicle.

Last edited by selmeralto; 04-09-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #794
nastypoker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Mr Selmeralto, I have just upgraded my HK system with the B100W speakers and tweeters in the front of my car. I also disabled the centre speaker and am waiting on some JBL's to arrive for the rears.

It sounds A LOT better so thank you for your guide on what to do but I still have a problem. Sometimes I get some crackly noises but it is very intermittent and I can't just make it do it by turning the volume up. It seems to happen when listening for a while and then a loud section of music comes on and I will get this very high pitched rustling/crackling noise like someone is crinkling foil but higher pitched. This happened with my HK speakers and I was hoping they were damaged and the new speakers would fix this as well as the generally terrible sound quality but it hasn't.

Any idea on what I can do or check to help solve this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #795
nastypoker
Registered
Rep

Fitted the JL rear speakers today and it has made another improvement which is great.

I did a test using the aux cable instead of bluetooth and there are no crackles!

It seems crackling over bluetooth is a common issue with no fix.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #796
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastypoker View Post
Fitted the JL rear speakers today and it has made another improvement which is great.

I did a test using the aux cable instead of bluetooth and there are no crackles!

It seems crackling over bluetooth is a common issue with no fix.
Garbage in = garbage out. Streaming compressed music bad. Bluetooth bad.

Try lossless source files next.
2007 E70 X5 4.8
2006 E46 330ci ZHP Apex ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #797
nastypoker
Registered
Rep

Yeah it's just a shame because using my phone on bluetooth is so convenient. If it wasn't for the crackles, I would be happy with bluetooth audio quality on these new speakers I have now.

So I want to be able to answer calls using the car system, have no crackles from bluetooth audio when listening to music and use the steering wheel controls. It seems my only option is to have music on a USB stick or pre-load onto the cars HD and then have my phone on bluetooth just for calls.

Bit annoying as I update my music library on my phone regularly so I need to do that with the USB stick as well now.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #798
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Usb with lossless is path of least resistance. I did the USB option for my father's car simply for ease of use. It's incredibly seamless.
2007 E70 X5 4.8
2006 E46 330ci ZHP Apex ARC-8
Appreciate 0