THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Vorshlag camber plates installed

09-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #89
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Went out and captured an image of what I described in the post above.
The picture he attached is in the same location as the picture you just posted. Clearly Michelin Man has been scrubbed off
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #90
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Went out and captured an image of what I described in the post above.
The picture he attached is in the same location as the picture you just posted. Clearly Michelin Man has been scrubbed off
I was just about to respond saying I know about the Michelin man, he was just no where to be found.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #91
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

I've been reading this thread with some interest. My 228i THP has just 6300 road miles, maybe a little enthusiastic at times, but nothing really hard, and certainly no track time. The outsides of my front PSSs are scrubbed to hell already, and no little Michelin Man visible (I can see it on the much-less-worn rears).

FRONT

REAR

I ran the fronts at around 33psi (32 indicated on the iDrive) until recently when I upped them to 37 (35.5 indicated) which certainly improved both the road noise and the steering feel, but there's no accounting for lack of camber...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #92
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
I've been reading this thread with some interest. My 228i THP has just 6300 road miles, maybe a little enthusiastic at times, but nothing really hard, and certainly no track time. The outsides of my front PSSs are scrubbed to hell already, and no little Michelin Man visible (I can see it on the much-less-worn rears)....
but there's no accounting for lack of camber...
With just street driving you are a good candidate for the lower control arm and tension strut replacement. This is one modification that will save you considerable money over time with fewer Michelin Pilot Super Sport purchases.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #93
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm planning Dinan springs and bumpstops. I haven't quite talked myself into the LCAs yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #94
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Hmmm, the other option would be to shave down the spring where it meets the isolator. Got a dremmel handy?

Then sand down the spot really well to get rid of any burs and spray paint it to protect it from the elements.

I would actually feel more comfortable doing that over narrowing the perch. It should not require you to take that much material off.
Anthony and Walker you guys are such wusses. Just increase the spring diameter the manly way:
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #95
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Anthony and Walker you guys are such wusses. Just increase the spring diameter the manly way:
I've done that to one of my cars. It was 20 years ago...don't judge me
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #96
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
lol

I'll give it a go this weekend
      09-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #97
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
I'm planning Dinan springs and bumpstops. I haven't quite talked myself into the LCAs yet.
Well your choices are either continue to put Mr. Michelin's children through college or pay BMW for some control arms!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #98
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I've done that to one of my cars.
I though those wheels you sold me looked a little crispy on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #99
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I though those wheels you sold me looked a little crispy on the inside.
That's what happens when you're an Army private on a very low income

Hope the wheels worked out for you
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #100
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well your choices are either continue to put Mr. Michelin's children through college or pay BMW for some control arms!
Fair point. Still trying to settle on a shop near me that I trust to do all this.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #101
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
I took a picture of the distance from the inner bearing surface to the outside of the nose (23mm below) to understand how much material is available for shaving off this version of the perch. The bearing in question is 12mm thick, which implies 11mm of material between the outer bearing ring and the outside of the perch nose. To accommodate the stock isolator properly, the nose needs to be machined 2mm smaller/thinner. I don't know if 2 out of 11 is a big deal here. The perch itself (on its load bearing surface) is a good bit thinner than 9mm though...

Some videos of the noise I experienced without the isolators installed:
Good God, that is not how a $45-60K car should sound. I could never tolerate such noise in any of my cars except for one that used for track-only duty. How some of you can tolerate that noise and the obvious issue of spring bind blows my mind. Why can't Vorshlag just machine the perch to make the isolator work? I know Vorshlag makes high quality parts, but DAMN, their egos can really get in the way of making a good product for a street car.

Since Vorshlag won't revise the perch, perhaps go to a machine shop and have them modify the perch as necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #102
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Since Vorshlag won't revise the perch, perhaps go to a machine shop and have them modify the perch as necessary.
Rather than machine the existing aluminum plate I would have the machine shop make a new plate with a narrower perch using 7075-T6 aluminum. That way you could make up any potential loss of strength with a stronger more corrosion resistant aluminum.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #103
Scubadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I know Vorshlag makes high quality parts, but DAMN, their egos can really get in the way of making a good product for a street car.
Reminiscent of Dinan and their objecting to customers' complaints of rattles, suggesting the some customers are more sensitive to the normal noises associated with camber plates. Dinan finally came around and is finalizing a solution. Hopefully Vorshlag will too.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #104
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Vorshlag has notified me they're re-designing the perch to better accommodate the stock isolator and spring. They'll be sending me a new set of plates to evaluate.

Kudos to Vorshlag for going the extra mile here: apparently, they went back and put their initial testers under an interrogation lamp , wherein the testers confessed to hearing the same things as I did.
      10-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #105
Scubadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Vorshlag has notified me they're re-designing the perch to better accommodate the stock isolator and spring. They'll be sending me a new set of plates to evaluate.

Kudos to Vorshlag for going the extra mile here: apparently, they went back and put their initial testers under an interrogation lamp , wherein the testers confessed to hearing the same things as I did.
That's great news! Glad I will have an alternative if this Dinan fix doesn't work out.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #106
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Just remember camber plates is a race car part you are using on the street so a noise here and there should be expected. If there is a flaw in the design, that obviously should be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #107
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Just remember camber plates is a race car part you are using on the street so a noise here and there should be expected. If there is a flaw in the design, that obviously should be fixed.
I'd say "fair enough", but I think this is a cop-out.

The vendors for every plate I've tried have all claimed that their products make no noise (implying street-ability), but none have really delivered on this promise, instead retreating to "well, it is a race part..."

I realize now that you can't expect a spherical bearing to be noise free in this application, no matter how tight or how big.

This platform really needs a solution for the street, though. Everyone I talk to about their F-series car, whether they track it or not, complains about outer front tire wear. I suspect that a fully streetable camber plate (e.g. fixed at -1.0deg or -1.5deg with a urethane or rubber top bushing) would sell like hotcakes.
      10-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #108
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
I'd say "fair enough", but I think this is a cop-out.

The vendors for every plate I've tried have all claimed that their products make no noise (implying street-ability), but none have really delivered on this promise, instead retreating to "well, it is a race part..."

I realize now that you can't expect a spherical bearing to be noise free in this application, no matter how tight or how big.

This platform really needs a solution for the street, though. Everyone I talk to about their F-series car, whether they track it or not, complains about outer front tire wear. I suspect that a fully streetable camber plate (e.g. fixed at -1.0deg or -1.5deg with a urethane or rubber top bushing) would sell like hotcakes.

I must say mine don't make anywhere near the noise yours do in that video. Worst i get is a very slight rattle at low speed (stock perch and springs with dust boot in place). Have they improved at all over time?
Appreciate 1
rwalker329.50
      10-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #109
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
I must say mine don't make anywhere near the noise yours do in that video. Worst i get is a very slight rattle at low speed (stock perch and springs with dust boot in place). Have they improved at all over time?
installation of the stock isolators fixed the issue covered by my video

the slight rattle at low speed is what I'm griping about: you'll find that you'll be able to hear it at nearly any speed over rough surfaces, and that it will become worse over time, ultimately requiring replacement
      10-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #110
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
installation of the stock isolators fixed the issue covered by my video

the slight rattle at low speed is what I'm griping about: you'll find that you'll be able to hear it at nearly any speed over rough surfaces, and that it will become worse over time, ultimately requiring replacement
Ah right, i see.

The only concern i have regarding the design is the less than optimal perch configuration with the isolator in place. Which could prove costly to amend even just replacing that part (when they update it) on this side of the pond. If i don't encounter any major issues with it, ill probably leave it be.

Luckily most of the roads i use are in pretty good condition, bar the odd pothole here and there. Its mainly going over speed humps where the rattle really reveals itself, but I'm finding it entirely liveable atm. Tyre roar and wind noise go some way to cancel it out at highway speeds, and its more or less imperceptible with music playing. Saying that, i wouldn't want it to get much worse than what it currently is being a dd. So as long as these prove to be durable and long life, ill be a happy camper.
Appreciate 0