THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack New rear tire installed, car felt off..

03-08-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

New rear tire installed, car felt off..

So last week, I had my rear mpss replaced with 2 brand new mps4s.

I started noticing that the ride felt off, my stability or traction lighting up when I took corner even though in the past I took those corner harder.. Thinking it might be the fresh tire, I try to slow down.

Today, after 400 miles, I still try to drive slower than I used to but I still see the traction lighting up and on one corner, I can feel the brakes is pushing back against my leg..

When Im driving 80-90mph on freeway, I been noticing the car felt kinda like how it feel sometimes with wind blowing against the car. Granted its been windy lately but I could have sworn I felt it consistently since the tire change..

Anyone had issues like this before?

Pressure is good. Tire is definitely mps4s. Outside is installed on the outside.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=5
These guys can say it better than I can...
Appreciate 1
Resoelg244.00
      03-08-2022, 06:21 PM   #3
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
Are those the same tires, or is it a typo? And how many years between the backs and the fronts if they are the same?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post

I started noticing that the ride felt off, my stability or traction lighting up when I took corner even though in the past I took those corner harder.
If both tires are the stock size of 245/35-18, you may have a new rear tire that is 0.8 inches narrower that the one you previously had.

Separate from material differences in the new tire's compound (see the Star BMW compound of the PSS), this is a significant difference in the width of rubber you have on the pavement.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 07:27 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Or they lifted the car incorrectly and bent a locating link ?

two new rear tires and Michelin which are very good at sending out perfect tires
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 10:44 PM   #6
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=5
These guys can say it better than I can...
I have since clocked 580 miles and it is still not as good as before..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 10:48 PM   #7
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
Are those the same tires, or is it a typo? And how many years between the backs and the fronts if they are the same?
They are not the same and not a type. New vs need to replace soon. mps4s is succesor to the mpss
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 10:50 PM   #8
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
If both tires are the stock size of 245/35-18, you may have a new rear tire that is 0.8 inches narrower that the one you previously had.

Separate from material differences in the new tire's compound (see the Star BMW compound of the PSS), this is a significant difference in the width of rubber you have on the pavement.

W O W. Did not realize that at all.. After reading the different between the two, indeed the mps4s have a lil bit worse performance in turn at high speed. I am however not sure if that is the issue here.. The before and after is pretty drastic. Next step is to hopefully replace front soon and then alignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 12:12 AM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The BMW star-spec 225/40-18 front MPSS tyre also has a 7.9” wide tread width compared with the non-star-spec MPSS or MPS4S tyres in the same size at 7.7” tread width.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #10
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

So I randomly found a bubble on my front left tire, appointment is set for that to be replaced today to see if that could possibly be the cause. Will try to do an alignment on weekend to tied up those loose end.

Hopefully car feel much better and closer to before with all 4 new tire and alignment.

Will update once I have something.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 12:44 PM   #11
Le frog
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

This is also what I have been experiencing: I needed badly to replace my balding rear PS4 last December; but because of the shortage of just about everything, the stock 245/35/18 size were of course not available anywhere, and with no ETA in sight, I had no choice but to go with 255/35, because i wanted all 4 tires to be PS4. Needless to say, I regret this decision, albeit necessary at the time.
Like you, know the car feels very skittish and unstable, if not downright dangerous at higher speeds, with the stability control lighting up at every tight corner.
Besides having to drive more conservatively, I feel the car has lost all its tightness and driving dynamics. I am really considering ditching them, and get the stock size.
I would gladly sell them to whoever might be interested! The tires have about 600 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #12
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow you only drove 600 miles from last december?

I have since replaced my front as well, and have an alignment done but I think my issue was more due to the fact that I have a bubble on my front tire. I must have destroyed the front left tire when I drove the card hard with fresh rear tires...

My stability control hasnt been lighting and the car felt a lot better now although I still think that something else is not right... Steering felt a little bit looser and I have no idea if its the tire anymore.

Your case is kinda unique because I have seen people go wider tire in this forum on the stock rims. 255. And according to them, the wider tire improve the ride. So maybe consider checking all 4 tires to see if there is any damages to the tire and also consider having an alignment done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le frog View Post
This is also what I have been experiencing: I needed badly to replace my balding rear PS4 last December; but because of the shortage of just about everything, the stock 245/35/18 size were of course not available anywhere, and with no ETA in sight, I had no choice but to go with 255/35, because i wanted all 4 tires to be PS4. Needless to say, I regret this decision, albeit necessary at the time.
Like you, know the car feels very skittish and unstable, if not downright dangerous at higher speeds, with the stability control lighting up at every tight corner.
Besides having to drive more conservatively, I feel the car has lost all its tightness and driving dynamics. I am really considering ditching them, and get the stock size.
I would gladly sell them to whoever might be interested! The tires have about 600 miles.
Appreciate 0